transmission shifting problems

nickoolsayz
11-23-2004, 01:08 PM
im having troubles with my chrysler lebaron transmission 1992. it has park, reverse, neutral, and drive. it wont use 2nd or 1st. it has over drive and its a 3.0 v6. when in drive its lik its stuck in 2nd gear and wont shift up. when u put it in 1st or 2nd it doesnt change at all. im not sure but people tell me its an eletrical problem. i wanted to know if i could replace or fix somethign myself or if i need to take it to someone specific.

ccnow
01-02-2005, 09:44 PM
In the front left corner of the trans are two
sensor's . With the engine running in park
disconnect the one toward the left side of
car for two or three min and reconnect. make
sure wires are not damaged or cracked. This
should reset the computor or restore a bad
contact. Turn car off,restart and test drive.
Worked for me Good luck

nickoolsayz
01-03-2005, 01:02 PM
hey thanks i will have to try it when i dont have to work :( busy kid haha, but thanks, i will try that and post if it works or not, :D thanks

nickoolsayz
01-08-2005, 11:13 PM
well unplugging the sensors i guess they r didnt work.. the sensos are the 3 plugs i seen neat the transmission oil pan right? well i can only see 3 and while the car was in park and runnign i unpluigged all 3 and plugged them back in and it didnt do anything.... so if there is anyone out there that could trouble shoot for me i would appreciate it. i really need this car shifting gears soon. thanks

zagrot
02-16-2005, 11:35 PM
this problem can occur if you any type of transmission fluid except the factory recomended fluid. i think for a '90 and later crysler recomends ATF+3. apparently some shops use dextron III and it does bad things. there is also the issue of "reprograming" the ECU, this sounds like voo doo but is likely true. do an internet search on the topic (ATF+3); it should yield interesting results and testimonies.

theFREAKnasty82
02-18-2005, 04:29 PM
You're going to need to use ATF +4 from now on in your transmission. Here's the TSB that proves that:

NUMBER: 21-006-01

GROUP: Transmission

DATE: Jun. 29, 2001

THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 21-16-99, DATED OCTOBER 22, 1999, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES AND NOTED IN THE 1999 TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN MANUAL (PUBLICATION NO. 81-699-00004). THIS IS A COMPLETE REVISION AND NO ASTERISKS HAVE BEEN ADDED TO HIGHLIGHT REVISIONS.
SUBJECT:
Automatic Transmission Fluid Usage ATF+4 (Type 9602)

MODELS:

1989 - 1995 (AA) Spirit/Acclaim/Lebaron Sedan

1989 - 2002 (AB) Ram Van/Wagon

1989 - 1993 (AC) Dynasty/New Yorker/New Yorker Salon

1989 - 1993 (AD) Ram Truck

1989 - 1994 (AG) Daytona

1989 (AH) Lancer/Lebaron GTS

1989 - 1995 (AJ) Lebaron Coupe/Lebaron Convertible

1989 - 1990 (AK) Aries/Reliant

1989 - 1990 (AL) Horizon/Omni

1989 (AM) Diplomat/Gran Fury/New Yorker Fifth Avenue

1989 - 2002 (AN) Dakota

1989 - 1994 (AP) Shadow/Sundance

1990 - 1991 (AQ) Maserati

1990 - 1993 (AY) Imperial/New Yorker Fifth Avenue

1994 - 2002 (BR/BE) Ram Truck

1998 - 2002 (DN) Durango

2002 (DR) Ram Truck

1995 - 2000 (FJ) Sebring/Avenger/Talon

2000 (GS) Chrysler Voyager (International Market)

1995 - 2000 (JA) Cirrus/Stratus/Breeze

2001 - 2002 (JR) Sebring Sedan & Convertible/Stratus Sedan

1996 - 2000 (JX) Sebring Convertible

2002 (KJ) Liberty

1993 - 2002 (LH) Concorde/Intrepid/Vision/LHS/New
Yorker/300M

1989 - 1992 (MJ) Commanche

2000 (NS) Town & Country/Caravan/Voyager

1995 - 2002 (PL) Neon

2002 (PG) PT Cruiser (International Markets)

2001 - 2002 (PT) PT Cruiser

1997 - 2002 (PR) Prowler

2001 - 2002 (RG) Chrysler Voyager (International Markets)

2001 - 2002 (RS) Town & Country/Caravan/Voyager

1997 - 2002 (TJ) Wrangler

2001 - 2002 (WG) Grand Cherokee (International Markets)

1999 - 2002 (WJ) Grand Cherokee

1989 - 1995 (YJ) Wrangler

1996 - 1998 (ZG) Grand Cherokee (International Markets)

1993 - 1998 (ZJ) Grand Cherokee/Grand Wagoneer

NOTE :THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO ALL VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH CHRYSLER AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS EXCEPT 1999 AND EARLIER MINIVANS.

DISCUSSION:

A new transmission fluid (ATF+4(R) - Type 9602) has been developed and is being used as factory fill for all vehicles with Chrysler automatic transmissions. Until now, vehicles originally filled with ATF+2 or ATF+3 were to be serviced with ATF+3. Effective immediately, it is recommended that all vehicles with Chrysler automatic transmissions except for 1999 and earlier minivans be serviced with ATF+4(R). ATF+3 should continue to be used for 1999 and earlier minivans because of the potential for torque converter shudder during break in. For all other applications the ATF+4(R) fluid offers significant benefits as outlined below.
NOTE :ATF+4(R) MUST ALWAYS BE USED IN VEHICLES THAT WERE ORIGINALLY FILLED WITH ATF+4(R).

NOTE :SERVICE INTERVALS DO NOT CHANGE. THE SERVICE INTERVAL CURRENTLY IN EFFECT FOR A GIVEN VEHICLE SHOULD CONTINUE TO BE FOLLOWED.

NOTE :ATF+4(R) IS COMPATIBLE WITH ATF+3 AND CAN BE USED TO TOP OFF VEHICLES THAT CURRENTLY HAVE ATF+2 OR ATF+3. DO NOT USE ATF+2 OR ATF+3 TO TOP OFF VEHICLES THAT HAVE ATF+4(R) FLUID.

BENEFITS
^ Better anti-wear properties

^ Improved rust/corrosion prevention

^ Controls oxidation

^ Eliminates deposits

^ Controls friction

^ Retains anti-foaming properties

^ Superior properties for low temperature operation

FLUID COLOR

Mopar ATF+4(R) is a World Class Fluid having exceptional durability. However, the red dye used in ATF+4R is not permanent; as the fluid ages it may become darker or appear brown in color. ATF+4(R) also has a unique odor that may change with age. With ATF+4(R) fluid, color and odor are no longer indicators of fluid condition and do not support a fluid change.

glade8r
07-02-2005, 02:40 PM
I Have the same car with the same problem and believed it was an electrical problem because it would work fine every now and then.
We replaced the entire ignition switch and lock believing this was the problem. We also replaced all the sensors on the transaxle. Still the same problem.

I discovered a strange solution that might work for you. I drove the car like that for two weeks and finally took it to a repair shop where two mechanics took turns test driving it. They didn't find anything wrong. When they drove the car, the car shifted fine.

I discovered that the problem was in the Ignition switch. If I turned the ignition switch on slowly, the a part of the computer system which controls the transmission would not work properly. It sounds weird but that was it.

So try this:

When you start the car, turn the switch until it clicks once. There will be no lights on the dash and nothing will happen.
Then turn the switch quickly all the way clockwise until the car starts and then release the switch.

with mine, you can tell its working because the shift to reverse or drive is smooth and doesn't bang into gear.

Hope this works for anyone with the same problem.

Boogieman142
09-08-2005, 02:12 AM
well, the transmission control module(TCM, not the ecu) doesn't care what fluid is in there, the transmission however does. This problem usually happens after someone drops the transmission pan. 90% of the time it is because they messed up when they did it. It is electronically controlled, so if it senses that something is wrong then it will go in limp mode. 90% of the time it is caused by an air bubble inside the transmission. Since air does not have the same properties as hydraulic fluid, it cannot be in there so the transmission tries to save itself by only giving you 1 and 2 speeds. you will need to remove the air, sometimes it is caused by a missing or damaged o-ring. Then you will need to bring it somewhere that has a DRB II and clear the code. once again, putting the wrong fluid in it will not cause this problem!!!

mopar or no car
08-20-2007, 02:04 PM
yes, but having a clogged filter will cause such problems. that would be my first choice

wrig7732
09-10-2007, 06:50 PM
I had the same problem it was the speed sensor. may also replace the nutral park switch. speed sensor tells the computer how fast the trans is going. the nutral park switch tells the computer what gear your in.

Boogieman142
11-11-2007, 07:05 PM
spd. sensor tells the output spd of the trans, prk/n switch tells if your in parl/n or rev for starting and cruise control. the trans knows what gear you are in by comparing the input and output speeds.

madmanmapper
11-12-2007, 04:14 PM
Your trans is in limp mode...why didn't these guys just say that in the first place? This is most often caused by a simple loose electrical connection or even a blown fuse. With the car off, do the following: check all your fuses inside the car and under the hood (just in case), unplug and plug back in all the sensors on the transmission (with car off), and finally, unscrew / unplug the big plug on the transmission computer with an 8mm socket (under the hood, on the passenger side fender, toward the front) make sure there's no dirt or dust on the contacts of the computer and the plug, then plug / screw it back on. You may want to cycle the ignition a couple of times just in case, then test drive it. I also had a problem where my shifter cable was poorly adjusted after rebuilding my trans, the shifter on the trans was very close to neutral when the shifter lever was in drive, and when I drove over bumps it would go between neutral and drive and the comp would go to limp mode. But this case and a lot of this stuff these guys are talking about do not apply unless you've had trasn work done recently. And I'm guessing you haven't. You know it could also just be a bad computer? Go to an Autozone or similar parts store that will check your computer codes for free. I believe to get the trans codes, you need to use the blue plug under the steering wheel. If you're up to it, go to a junk yard and pick up a trans comp from a similar Baron.

jgcsail
09-30-2008, 12:46 PM
The transmission in my 1995 LeBaron just quit working. There was some shuttering during the shift the day that it quit. The car has plenty of pull when you take off, but starts to slip when it shifts. If you put it in neutral, turn the ignition off, restart the engine and put it back in drive it pulls great. I had it up to 80 MPH yesterday. It will just not stay in gear. Reverse is fine and pulls great. I changed the filter and fluid, but it did not help. I did have some small amount of metal in the filter, but I have had more in some of my other cars. Do you think the problem could be the transmission computer or the solenoids?

madmanmapper
10-01-2008, 02:14 AM
No, take it to a trans shop and have it rebuilt.

jaroldo
06-25-2009, 03:49 PM
I just got a 92 Lebaron with the 3.0 V6, the problem is that it sat for 7 years, I have got it running (actually runs pretty smooth :runaround:), but the problem is the two censors on the front left corner of the transmission got rotted out, we have gotten new plugs for them, but the colors of the wires that are hanging down by the transmission do not match the colors in any of the wiring scematics i can find for the plugs, I was hoping someone with the same engine could just list off the colors of the wires in order for the plugs, it would be EXTREMLY apricitated :smile:.

jryc32
08-05-2009, 10:00 AM
I had the same problem in my '92 Lebaron, and you won't belive what it was!! It was the fuse near the battery that actually also controls the power mirrors in the car..... I was ready to buy a bunch of stuff to fix it when I noticed that my mirrors were not working, so I checked the fuses and there was the problem. I replaced the fuse and the transmission is back to normal.... I hope this helps!! Good luck..

jryc32
08-05-2009, 10:08 AM
im having troubles with my chrysler lebaron transmission 1992. it has park, reverse, neutral, and drive. it wont use 2nd or 1st. it has over drive and its a 3.0 v6. when in drive its lik its stuck in 2nd gear and wont shift up. when u put it in 1st or 2nd it doesnt change at all. im not sure but people tell me its an eletrical problem. i wanted to know if i could replace or fix somethign myself or if i need to take it to someone specific.

I had the same problem in my '92 Lebaron, and you won't belive what it was!! It was the fuse near the battery that actually also controls the power mirrors in the car..... I was ready to buy a bunch of stuff to fix it when I noticed that my mirrors were not working, so I checked the fuses and there was the problem. I replaced the fuse and the transmission is back to normal.... I hope this helps!! Good luck..

jryc32
08-05-2009, 10:09 AM

Add your comment to this topic!