Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

VTEC + Turbo = Bad?

10sec-Hopeful
11-23-2004, 11:09 AM
I've heard this from more than 5 people, and they say high compression + turbo isn't good for your engine...but on the other hand, I have seen plenty of LS VTEC turbos on the streets. Can anyone tell me why people don't like to turbo VTECs? (I'm looking for a very in-depth technical response if you can...not just, it's bad...)

The reason I ask this is because I am installing an H22 on my Accord, and I want to eventually go with a T3/T4 hybrid...but people have been telling me N/A is much better.....how so?

-Thanks

93/01alaLUDE
11-23-2004, 12:17 PM
less compression and more boost is better than more compression less boost...if you plan on boosting a h22 then if you leave it stock 7-8 psi is ok on the stock internals and you wont hurt your engine...if you plan on building and boosting at a higher psi then just buy some lower compression pistons when youre doing your build-up and you should be good..you'll be happy w/ your boosted h22

10sec-Hopeful
11-23-2004, 12:25 PM
I'm not too smart with compression, but I've heard that you can also get bigger/better head gaskets, and along with low compression pistons, boosting up to 15-18psi is safe on an H22. Is there anything else I should look out for when going for a lower compression? I want to boost in the ballpark of 15 psi, and maybe at late stages 20 psi, somewhere around 350-400HP.

If there is anything you know about lowering compression let me know which would be the best/safest/easiest methods to do if you can. I really appreciate it.

Hypsi87
11-23-2004, 12:40 PM
I'm not too smart with compression, but I've heard that you can also get bigger/better head gaskets, and along with low compression pistons, boosting up to 15-18psi is safe on an H22. Is there anything else I should look out for when going for a lower compression? I want to boost in the ballpark of 15 psi, and maybe at late stages 20 psi, somewhere around 350-400HP.

If there is anything you know about lowering compression let me know which would be the best/safest/easiest methods to do if you can. I really appreciate it.

The reason you lower compression is because of pre-deationation. That is the main killer in a turbo setup. If you can get enought intercooling, water to air intercooler, alcohol injection you can run more boost. As long as the heat is not there your good to go. The number one safegaurd on a turbo engine is to be able to see when the computer starts to take out timing because of pre-deationation.

10sec-Hopeful
11-23-2004, 12:46 PM
Thank you, that helped a lot.

civickiller
11-23-2004, 02:16 PM
another one of those theory threads created by stupid people just repeating what they heard without knowing true facts. just like the ls b16 tranny argument. there are so many misinformed because of that

civickiller
11-23-2004, 02:17 PM
sorry i dont mean your stupid, the people who told you that are stupid

casperGSR
11-23-2004, 09:42 PM
vtec + turbo = a whole lotta fun.... who ever told you that vtec and turbos dont' go together has not done enough research on it... however if you do want to run 15psi or higher I would suggest rebuilding the bottom end and valvetrain to handle it before cranking up the boost... yes they do make headgaskets to handle higher levels of boost on stock internals but a headgasket alone will not prevent you from dropping a valve or spinning a rod bearing or doing other types of damage... essentially those headgaskets they make will drop the compression slightly and cut down on the risk of blowing a headgasket and therefore help reduce the possibility of bending one of the connecting rods but don't be led into thinking that it makes your engine indestructable... and as far as people telling you that N/A is the better way to go that may be true if you're dealing with a 454 big block but since you're dealing with 2 liter 4 bangers F/I is the better way to go... not say you can't attain good numbers or times going N/A, but you'll get more out of F/I.

crx91
11-27-2004, 07:26 PM
dont forget the right fuel management is key.

boosted331
11-28-2004, 11:34 AM

Thicker headgaskets and lower compression pistons don't really belong together. Just using a B-series for example because I am a lot more familiar with them, a 2MM headgasket will lower the compression on a 10:1 GSR motor to about 9:1. But, with a set of 9:1 pistons you don't need the thicker headgasket.

The compression really isn't the issue with the H22's, it's the strength of the motor. Weak ringlands mean it isn't hard to bust up your pistons, low compression or not. To replace the pistons with stronger low compression pistons you must have the motor re-sleeved, which runs about a thousand dollars, plus the new pistons, rods, gaskets, studs, and whatever else you want to replace.

xbonz
11-28-2004, 01:41 PM
I dont have aton of knowledge on the subject but if you want to run boost and VTEC i suggest you go with th H23 and a H22 head you will have low compression and have the vtec head too the best of both worlds i have seen people put out as much as 425 WHP honda-tech forums are a good place for you to start they have a ton of information on the subject

Good luck I have a 95 prelude vtec which is absolutely beautiful and i dream of boos but dont ever think i could afford it. then again the look on the face of losers in your path of destruction is Priceless

another thing to consider it buying a quaife LSD

S13wanabe
12-01-2004, 11:53 PM
Hey boosted331 I have a question to ask you. I have an LS/Vtec too, but I'm keeping mine NA. If you don't mind I would like to keep it private, so if you could email me at ardyshane23@yahoo.com. I live in OC.

CRX VTEC TURBO
12-02-2004, 12:28 PM
There is no particular engine that is more "able" to handle a turbocharger, especially one that is going to boost more than 15lbs like you have stated. Basically, any engine that you have can more than likely handle the boost as long as you take the necessary steps to make sure you have built up your motor. I have helped build the z6 sohc vtec and it sure can take it, along with the y8, which is nearly the same thing. Likewise, any engine can be harmed with the addition of a turbocharger if they are not properly taken care of (the h22 = no exception). Effeciency of these bad boys do rely on the fuel management; it is key.

civickiller
12-02-2004, 07:57 PM
not only fuel management but timing too

YellowITR479
12-03-2004, 07:56 AM
from what i have heard the H22 is not the "best" honda motor to turbocharge, not even the second or third best, i cant recall what the reasons are though

Add your comment to this topic!