Front end shakes between 25 and 45 mph.

jspisz1
11-23-2004, 09:24 AM
Hello all,

The vehicle is a 1996 Voyager Rallye with a 3.3L and FWD. I have been having an ongoing problem with this shake and I am about at my wits end. It only occurs while I am accelerating, when I take my foot of the gas it stops. I have basically replaced everything in the front end except for the struts and the transmission. The half shafts are both brand new as well as the wheel bearings, inner and outer tie rod attachments, trans and motor mounts, brakes pads and rotors. Yet the shake still persists. I can really feel it under my feet in the floor. Please help so I can get this car back on the road, my wife is sucking up the gas in the suburban and it's killin me.

thanks

John

ByronP
11-23-2004, 02:03 PM
My 97 was doing the same thing. Just before the transmission grenaded. I also had checked everything on the front end and could not find the problem. In hindsight I think it was the transmission getting ready to go. You might want a transmission shop or dealer have a look at it. If you find the problem do let us know.
ByronP
p.s. transmissions are expensive

jspisz1
11-23-2004, 02:17 PM
I've also noticed that both of my sway bar endlinks have a bend to them, I can't imagine that this is normal. Would this happen because of the struts and springs being worn? I would hope the transmission is okay. It only has about 60k on it. I have a feeling it's going to end up going to a dealer and you know what they are gonna try and get out of me.

jspisz1
11-30-2004, 08:41 AM
bump

hecksterz
11-30-2004, 06:40 PM
Stupid question John-did you check to see if your wheels are balanced? Sorry but sounds like that to me from what you mentioned. Of course as we all know the dodge trannys suck and they often do weird things with all kinds of vibrations when going bad.
Good Luck! Hecksterz

jspisz1
12-01-2004, 09:11 AM
All of the wheels are basically brand new and have been balance since I started feeling the shake with no change unfortunately in the vehicle. I actually made the stupid mistake of taking the van into the dealer on Monday and after charging be 2 hours of labor ($156.00 rediculous) There conclusion was that the passenger side half shaft looks to be the wrong one. I personally know it is the correct one as I took the old one out and compared the two before I bought the new one and even called and verified with the parts store after being told this. Besides, the shake was happening when the old one was in the vehicle too. What a huge waste of time. I will never take my vehicle to a dealer for a repair again. Anyways, anybody possibly have anymore input on this.

Thanks

hecksterz
12-01-2004, 06:20 PM
I would suggest you find a good reasonable mechanic -that has seen a lot of dodges-lord knows they are a mechanics dream. Nodoubt about it dealers suck when it comes to mechanics/body work/and most importantly price.

lakeman
12-01-2004, 10:15 PM
What size wheels are you running? What brand of tire? My 96 3.0 Sport has the same shake only mine is at 50 - 53 mph. I had the tire rebalanced and it had no effect. I'm thinking the tires have to much runout or are out of round. I haven't done much to it as I'm wanting to change to 15 or 16 inch wheels.

jspisz1
12-02-2004, 06:51 AM
I'm running BFG's on 15 inch rims. I've had them balance and rotated since having the issues and still no changes though. I'm starting to wonder if I got a bum halfshaft from the parts store.

Lui340
12-03-2004, 01:43 AM
I'm running BFG's on 15 inch rims. I've had them balance and rotated since having the issues and still no changes though. I'm starting to wonder if I got a bum halfshaft from the parts store.
Listen I `ve got a 96 with 3.3L, it does the same thing ,but if you really accelerate fast it won`t vibrate, try that. I know I have one or maybe both C.V. joints worn out,this could be the reason, or its the T.C. locking mechanism. My advice is to drive it untill it gets worse, though i think we`r gonna have tolive with it,

scuba4321
12-03-2004, 08:16 AM
I had an older one 1993, did the same replaced tires and it stopped.

Cobra_Sam
12-03-2004, 10:34 PM
I had an older one 1993, did the same replaced tires and it stopped.

It is difficult to jack a car up and crawl underneath to check if anything is worn or comming loose because it is all spring loaded to take the weight of the car, don't rule out a bad strut/shock and to check the rest of the suspention you could put the front of the car on stands, have someone start the car, put it in gear and let it run. Then you look under the car to see if you can see what gives when the car vibrates.

jspisz1
12-03-2004, 10:53 PM
Is it actually possible that a strut could cause such a drastic side to side shake to the front of the van? I know they need to be replaced, I just don't want to put the money into it until i know what the shake is for sure.

chigger_ns
12-04-2004, 04:00 PM
I read some where else that tis is aa known thing that happens before the tranny Gives out! Be Aware!!!!

jspisz1
12-07-2004, 12:04 PM
Well,

After some heavy complaining from the wife(she's really good at that). the dealer knocked the price down and promised to take a closer look the following day. Oh ya but they forgot to do that, when I called to see what they thought. So what would any man with a wife like mine do. I sent her to pick it up. When she arrived back at the house without the van and told me they were keeping it over the weekend to really dig into it, to figure out the problem, I couldn't believe it. Anyways, from what they tell me after the weekend is that it has a blown out motor mount and trans mount which is causing the engine to tilt to one side, which is putting a large amount of load on the CV joint of the halfshaft causing the bad shake. I was also told they would repair it without charging me for the labor of looking for the problems, which I would assume to be about 4 to 6 hours of time, including all the other issues I had them looking into. So, I should find out today how everything goes with the mount changout. I sure hope it works out. Thanks for all your help.

dklong92
12-08-2004, 10:28 AM
I am sorry you have been having this problem, but thank you for posting about this. I just bought a 1993 Plymouth Grand Voyager on 12/6 and am experiencing the same problem. Now I can take it back to the dealer and tell them fix it or replace it. Thanks again.

jspisz1
12-08-2004, 10:44 AM
I picked it up last night and after they tried to charge me another $150 then was quoted to be I drove it home and notice a drastic improvement. Unfortunetly, the older of my half shafts(driver side 6 months) is already worn. So I will be returning it to Autozone because of the life time warranty and installing a new one within the next day or two. Replacing the mounts shift the entire motor back to it original position relieving the pressure on the passenger side shaft and putting a great deal of pressure on the Driver side shaft which had gone bad. I also had to verify it is the correct part due to how tightly it is being compressed in the part. From what Autozone told me it is correct. But, I will have to verify that with the dealer. After all this is completed. It should be good to go. I sure hope this helps everyone out there. I have spent so much time trying to figure this out and now finally something has come out of it. thanks for all of your input.

fullheart5
09-03-2005, 02:40 PM
Hi, I have been scouring the internet for an answer to this or a similar problem and have been following your thread. My husband said to ask if whatever you had done, did in fact, correct the problem. We have been very satisfied with our car, (1995 Dodge) but when a problem develops, its pretty difficult to figure whats causing it. We have always been successful. Except now, the car vibrates,rattles, shutters when accelerating 35-45 mph, then it stops. Have you in fact found the answer. Thanks.

CatLoversPizza
10-16-2005, 08:25 AM
Hi, I have been scouring the internet for an answer to this or a similar problem and have been following your thread. My husband said to ask if whatever you had done, did in fact, correct the problem. We have been very satisfied with our car, (1995 Dodge) but when a problem develops, its pretty difficult to figure whats causing it. We have always been successful. Except now, the car vibrates,rattles, shutters when accelerating 35-45 mph, then it stops. Have you in fact found the answer. Thanks.

My experience with this same problem has been that it can be one of two things:

1. CV joint going bad, causing the shaft to be out of balance. I even replaced a CV in my old 88 Caravan and the new shaft was bent, causing a *huge* vibration when accelerating. Had to replace it twice, needless to say...

2. Bad front brake caliper. If you have a sticky caliper (common on the Caravans) it can cause your rotor to heat up and warp. The brake pads are now pressing on a warped rotor, causing a vibration in the front end, particularly at certain speeds and when braking. Note: a sudden quick stop (slamming on the brakes hard) can trigger a sticky caliper and put a warp in your rotor.

After driving a couple of miles, feel around your front hubcaps. If you feel heat (more than just slightly warm), then you've got a caliper problem.

Add your comment to this topic!