Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

power door locks sticking? my did too !!!

98 dodgeRAMmike
11-22-2004, 09:19 PM
I tried to get replacements (98 Dodge Ram) but this is a dealer only item. They do not sell just the actuator for this , you have to buy the latch assembly as one unit and it was over $100 just for one. I could hear power getting to the locks but they would not move up or down on their own but would move nicely if I helped it with my hands.

I removed the latch assemblies for both doors and there is a white piece of plastic that is riveted to a peice of metal. This metal had been rusting over the years (I live in Michigan, ok quit laughing) and the rust had bound up the gear. I put the latches on the drill press and used a smaller drill bit then the rivet to drill it out a little bit but NOT to drill the whole rivet out. I was not trying to seperate the pieces, just trying to loosen up the movement. It worked perfectly. I re-installed the latches and now the power lockes work like brand new, and I saved a couple hundred dollars !!!!!!

jventerprises
12-28-2004, 08:01 PM
2000 2500 4x4. same problem (i live in new england) except i had to drill out ALL the rivets on both sides. work fine now

Add your comment to this topic!