Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Coolant capacity '99 3.2L Auto

SOLSTER
11-22-2004, 06:58 PM
Can anyone confirm the coolant capacity on the '99 3.2L auto? I got 11.6-11.7 quarts from the owners manual.

Also, I wonder how much will drain from the radiator with a cold engine (of course I can measure this next time I drain, but if anybody knows, that would be great)?

I'm trying to figure out, if after a flush - and the entire system is full of distilled water - and then I drain the radiator when cold, how much has drained v. how much remains, so I can calculate a 50-50 mix.

thanks,
SOLSTER

rodeo02
11-22-2004, 07:58 PM
You'll get about a gallon out of the radiator & a gallon out of the overflow bottle. 3-4 quarts will stay in the engine. I flush & fill my overflow bottle, and drain & fill my radiator yearly. Coolant always looks like new.
G/luck
Joel

SOLSTER
11-22-2004, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the numbers! I take it your resevoir tank must be larger than the '99, mine can't be more than a half gallon, if that.

But I imagine your numbers otherwise will hold, unless you or anyone else thinks differently.

So you do the mix half new with the half old that remains in the block (on a yearly schedule), a pretty popular method. My problem is, the fliud in there is original, 5.25 years and 60K (I apologozie if this makes anyine cringe). So, I wan to o a complete flush this time, and then maintain it the way you do from here on.

I did drain a small amount from the radiator to see how it looked, nice green color, no rust color I could see, and a few debri particles, so maybe I'm in luck. I have read that today's antifreeze can run a long time???

thanks again, and any advice is always welcomed.

SOLSTER

Add your comment to this topic!