Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Slipping out of Park!!!

DARONK
11-22-2004, 08:32 AM
Parked and turned off on about a 10 degree slope and when I got back to the car it was at the bottom of the slope!!!! There was fresh snow and I could see that the tires didn't slide because I could see the tread pattern as it rolled down. It also stopped on its own after the pavement leveled off.

Any ideas??? How does the Sequoia Parking mechanism work? Can it let go and then re-engage??

Well I talked to one tranny guy and he said that he heard of the Jeep Grand Cherokee's AWD system (viscous clutches) being able to (if there is one wheel that can slip) be able to creep slowly if on a slippery incline.

But the Sequoia is not an AWD system. It is 2WD until I press the 4WD button. Any tranny guys out there have any insight?

Later I went to Toyota and they said that they could check it out ($90) to see if there is a problem. That would be $90 to find out what I already know. The tranny operates fine on dry pavement. I asked for him to log the issue and he typed some stuff on the terminal. But they never took my VIN or mileage!!!?? Also I asked that since I'm <60k that if I have it noted now that I'm covered. The answer was that since there is no actual proof or demonstration of a problem that if I go over 60K it's my dime.

Toyota said that I should just watch the vehicle to see if it happens again - not the answer that I would expect. So now I have 2500 miles to show the problem!!

Should I be calling Toyota corporate or the rep? How do I find out who the rep is for my area (03811)? Since there is a potential for damage to person & property you would think that they would be a little more concerned.

bretbowman
11-22-2004, 09:02 AM
it really hurts to think of the weight (over 5,000 pounds to be precise) on your transmission. Wow that hurts!

Can we say:

Parking Brake!

Please engage your PARKing brake when you PARK to avoid the weight of your vehicle putting massive stress on the transmission and drive linkage/shafts.

This will also keep your vehicle from moving when it's parked.

PS- you maybe replacing a transmission in 2005 if you keep that stuff up.

DARONK
11-22-2004, 09:56 AM
I was on a slight incline - nothing major. I am a firm believer of using the e-brake on extreme hills. This was not the case. I should never expect the vehicle to move while it is in PARK. The e-brake is NOT a solution in this case. If the vehicle slid down then the e-brake would do nothing. There were tread marks in the snow meaning the vehicle "rolled" - not one tire was held by the parking mechanism. The vehicle was parked and then was found 20-25 feet from its original location!!

corbinwaterski
11-22-2004, 01:54 PM
Do you remember the drivers ed class you took way back when you got your drivers license? Turn you wheels/tires into the curb. AND DO NOT forget the E-Brake!!

DARONK
11-23-2004, 08:16 AM
This was in a gently sloped head first parking lot so there is no curb to angle into.

I think you guys are missing the point. The vehicle should not roll out of park!! Period. This is a liability with a possibility for damage to life and property.

I guess the next reply will tell me to chock my wheels.

corbinwaterski
11-28-2004, 12:45 PM
Or you can chock your wheels!! LOL. No seriously I have gone outside before and my wifes Civic is in the middle of the street. She also has a habit of not setting the PARK brake. This can happen on any vehicle. So to be safe, I have gotten into the habit of setting the PARK brake every time my keys are out of the ignition. Enjoy the Sequioa. They are nice!!

DARONK
11-28-2004, 06:43 PM
So how does this happen on any vehicle? I have been under the impression my entire life that PARK on an automatic transmission is suppose to "lock" the drive shaft in place so that the vehicle stays where you leave it. Not a dice roll to see if your vehicle rolled into a house or even worse a person. ...and yes the Sequoia is nice - except for the current dice roll.

corbinwaterski
11-29-2004, 09:00 AM
I can't explain the un-explainable. I would hope that Toyota would step up to the plate and at least try to look at it. BTW, if it is under warranty why should you have to pay anything?! Maybe try another Toyota dealership. I have never had to pay a dime on any work that has been done to my Toyota's - not even diagnostic tests.

Add your comment to this topic!