Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

454 in 72 nova

im4abj
11-21-2004, 05:21 PM
I'm about to buy a 454 to put into my engine, but i'm gettin debates from my friends if it'll fit or not, i know i'll have to get new mounts but is a new suspension really needed? i need some advice

lethal429
11-21-2004, 05:56 PM
If I remember correctly Small block and Big block motor mounts are the same...if the car was equipped with a 6 cylinder you will have to get new mounts...but thats an easy task...I would run Big block springs in the front to keep the front end at the proper ride height. Other than that is isn't very hard to drop a BBC in there...you will also have to get the proper length driveshaft as well...what does the car have for an engine now??

im4abj
11-21-2004, 06:08 PM
its got a 350 in it

MrPbody
11-22-2004, 08:22 AM
Headers are different, mounts are in the same place, front coil springs should be upgraded to "big block" springs (1970 SS396 Camaro is a good appliction for the springs).
Car will be a bit "nose heavy" due to the weight difference between the BBC and SBC. Power and drivability will MORE than make up for it.... NEVER send a boy to do a MAN'S job!

Robs71Nova
11-22-2004, 10:31 PM
I LITERALLY (we LITERALLY just finished up today) did a 454 swap into my 71 Nova, which is basically the same car as your 72. If your front coil springs are semi new you don't need to change them right away. If they arent new, go ahead and put the big block coil springs in. The small block motor mounts will work, but you may run into clearance problems with the steering box that you otherwise wouldn't run into with a big block motor frame mounts. Your going to have to find an oil pan specially designed for a big block Nova/Camaro in those years. Any oil pan will not work because the steering on those years Nova's is behind the frame and the sump of the oil pan hits it. You may also run into some clearance issues with the distributor and the firewall, but its nothing a maul can't help. The driveshaft may or may not need to be changed. I had to change mine, but I switched from a long to short tail transmission. I recommend using a short waterpump, or you will not be able to run a mechanical fan due to clearance issues. Sub-Frame connectors are a very good idea if you plan on making any amount of torque (which you will with any big block). Thats about all I can currently think of.

Rob

MrPbody
11-23-2004, 08:35 AM
Sorry, I guess I assumed a Camaro, and missed the Nova part. Most chassis and engine parts for '67-'69 Camaro will be correct for the X-body. (pan, headers, etc.)

bowties4everamen
11-27-2004, 03:32 AM
The one thing no one has said to you is to get a larger radiator. There is a considerable difference between the 2 v8s that you should address this problem. I wouldnt try going to a short shaft pump as luck would have it, a short shaft doesnt let you put your alt and P/S pump where they should be. Most shorty pump pieces like the alt brackets and the P/S mounting brackets are getting harder to find all the time since GM stopped using them in 68. The 73 Nova has the steering gear box located in a better spot too. Its a bolt on. I been doing custom motor swaps for a long time and using the long nose pump pulleys and brakets will make your life easier. Just to confuse you more, LOL, have you thought about trying getting ahold of a 80's serpentine belt assy? Thats an easy bolt on too and looks clean. Just go out to a wrecking yard and have a look around.

im4abj
12-01-2004, 08:30 PM
well the nova doesnt have power steering

calgary_redneck
12-05-2004, 06:44 PM
I agree stick with the long nose style water pump it makes parts selection much easlier

ace27
12-21-2004, 08:27 PM
I put a 396 in my 71 nova and had very little probs. Your best bet is to get the right motor mounts. Put in the big block springs. Iwent a year with the small block springs and ruined a set of front tires over the summer months! Iwent with a four core rad and have had no cooling probs even in 90+ weather. I had the short pump and could not find the proper brackets for the ps and alt. So I changed over to the long pump and had no probs. I just put a set of headers on my car this weekend and had to ding one tube alittle bit to get around the steering box not too bad to get in .I put on a cowl hood to allow for my high rise intake and a 3inch air filter.

Add your comment to this topic!