stereo light doesnt turn on

i3a0g
11-20-2004, 03:24 PM
i got my j30 a month ago, and i havent had any real problems with it yet, however the light to my head unit turns off when i turn on my parking lights or my headlights.....
its wierd, if my lights are off then the head unit light remains on, but as soon as that knob is turned the lights turn off........does anyone know how to fix this, or what is wrong?

Underground_Killah
11-20-2004, 04:15 PM
now do they turn off completely or dim?

i3a0g
11-20-2004, 04:51 PM
they turn off completely, all the interior lights dim, except the head unit just turns off completely

carlos_knology
11-20-2004, 07:22 PM
Either the dimmer switch is set to the lowest setting (lights off) or the dimmer switch is malfunctioning.

i3a0g
11-20-2004, 09:32 PM
its something with the head unit, because all the other interior lights light up fine, (gauges, and temperature controls) light up bright

ashleywat
11-24-2004, 04:32 PM
common problem with the J the contacts in the dimmer switch on the dash start to lose solid connection, my 94 has done this almost from day one, tapping on or around the dimmer and it comes on, be sure to have dimmer midway when tapping to make sure u can see the lights if they come on,

ashleywat
11-24-2004, 04:34 PM
forgot to also mention, sometimes the problem is the contacts get dirt in them which will cause this as well, rolling the dimmer back and forth while driving here and there will clean it up some, I have yet to breakdown and fix it, would need a good cleaning or some soldering if connections have broken loose.

Add your comment to this topic!