Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Austin Healey Sprite Mk.1 vintage racer

ZoomZoomMX-5
11-20-2004, 10:04 AM
I needed a break from my ordinary builds (exotics, tuners, Japanese imports, the occasional build/restoration of a big American car). This one has been waiting long enough...it's a great little kit from Gunze, it's OOP except for the street version. What's really nice is that they've done some good extra parts, such as knobs, levers, hood straps, tow hooks, roll bar, decals, photoetch seat belts/emblems, seat belt material...it's a simple kit, but what they give you will yield a very nice finished model with (hopefully) a minimum of hassle.

I mocked it up yesterday with a vintage set of Fujimi Panasports that I probably have had in my parts box for 20+ years...(300 yen). I had to do some chassis surgery w/my Dremel to get them to fit. The slicks have had their parting line sanded off and the contact area sanded/scrubbed.
http://images8.fotki.com/v128/photos/1/10258/17860/Firstmockup-vi.jpg

Oh no, the damned thing is already puking coolant and oil! :eek: :icon16:
http://images7.fotki.com/v126/photos/1/10258/17860/Leaksalready-vi.jpg

Last evening I primed it, smoothed the primer, coated it w/a few wet coats of Tamiya pure white, let it cook in the dehydrator for a couple hours, polished the paint w/3600 grit, added black panel lines, and then applied some wet coats of Tamiya racing white, and a quick thin coat clear. This morning I masked the body and painted the stripes w/Tamiya Racing Green, let the paint dry for about 15 minutes, removed masking, and applied clear over the entire body...and then it took a few light hits in the dehydrator and the color bled a bit from a stripe into the clear...nothing major, it's a race car and decals can cover the worst spots, the others...so what...it's a fun build. If I screw up too much, I'll make it look like it's post-race weathered. :biggrin:
http://images7.fotki.com/v126/photos/1/10258/17860/Spritestripes1-vi.jpg

Lots left to do, panel lines aren't great, I'll have to add a wash to get them to look better. The model should be completed this weekend.

Spitfire7
11-20-2004, 10:09 AM
Very nice, looking forward to completion.

proosen
11-20-2004, 11:23 AM
I always liked this little gem and your build is sure up to standard. Looking very good, amazing speed of the painting progress. Those rims is spot on. Think I will have to locate on of thoose dehydrators. Don't know if they even exists here in Sweden?

Niclas

Edit:
It's an English car, it's supposed to leak some fluids. That's the way it marks up it's territory.

Eric Cole
11-20-2004, 03:20 PM
Perfect color scheme and the wheels look great on it. I'm sure it'll be as impressive as ever.

Porsche Carrera
11-20-2004, 07:15 PM
Stunning! Btw... where did you get the wheels from? Looks very interesting. :cool:

ZoomZoomMX-5
11-20-2004, 07:19 PM
Stunning! Btw... where did you get the wheels from? Looks very interesting. :cool:

Thanks. I can't remember where I got the wheels...somewhere in CA in the 80's. They were a lot cheaper back then! Box price was 300 yen.

I'm about to post the finished model.

Add your comment to this topic!