Chipped paint in console area

katklaus
11-20-2004, 06:06 AM
I have a 2002 Yukon Denali and the silver paint in the console area is chipping away. (The area where there is cup holders, cigarette lighter, etc.) I don't know why this is happening - I don't store things in this area, and I make sure nothing is rubbing or causing this to happen. This originally happened when my Denali was still under warranty, so GMC replaced the areas that had the chipped paint. Now it's happening again. (my warranty is expired) Does anyone have an idea of how I can fix this problem? Touch up paint? After market products? Has anyone else experienced this problem?

stagalv
11-20-2004, 02:54 PM
I have that same problem on my 01 Denali. It is a strange, textured kind of paint so I am not sure what to use to fix it.

I have no idea of what caused it. Let me know if you come up with a great suggestion.

nali02
11-22-2004, 01:41 AM
mine is doing the same as well, also above my center console vents at the back of the center console, it is progressively getting worse. im still under warranty so i guess i'll go see what the dealership has to say.

btw, this is covered under warranty right? (in case the dealership tries to tell me otherwise)

bpnsd
12-13-2004, 05:42 PM
Yes it is covered, and why would a dealership tell you no? This is how they earn revenue. The problem is caused by poor engineering standards in MI.

nali02
12-13-2004, 05:55 PM
alright good, i do however have my k40 radar control unit mounted at the bottom of the center console by my gas pedal on the carpeted piece, would the whole center console be replaced or does the center console come apart into pieces? (in other words should i expect to remount this control unit in the new console or will just the painted parts be replaced?)

mandirigma01
12-14-2004, 03:44 AM
I have that same problem on my 01 Denali. It is a strange, textured kind of paint so I am not sure what to use to fix it.

I have no idea of what caused it. Let me know if you come up with a great suggestion.

I too have an '01 Denali and the same problem...I brought the truck to dealer and I explained that I have an extended warranty and it was not covered :mad: The GMC Advisor told me that several owners had this problem and some of them actually got all the trim pieces painted to closely match the greyish stone color. I'm thinking about doing the same as the piece I want to replace is $350 dollars (Cup holder ash tray piece). I almost bought it but thought that it would eventually happen again...

tonytone
12-14-2004, 12:40 PM
Me too; maybe I could try (emphasis on "try") to convince the dealer to just give me an allowance credit on what it would cost them to replace the chipped paint and use it towards getting a full woodgrain kit! :wink:

Denali01
01-15-2005, 10:19 PM
Hey Guys, guess what truck I have with the same issue. do yourself a favor and check ebay. The is someone selling brand new OEM consoles with cup holders for 01 and 02 Denali's for $30. I have already bought one

Add your comment to this topic!