Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Interior Electrical Problems (Int. Lights, Radio)

kooki3
11-19-2004, 07:14 PM
This is a little long so please bear with me..

I recently attempted to install a remote starter on my 1991 S-10 Blazer (2 door 4.3L 4WD), which is a whole other story, (anyone out there who has experience with remote starters, please make a post)... And since I've had some big electrical problems

First of all, my dome light (roof light) has stopped working, and instead, the courtesy light under the dash comes on when the door is opened. This light never worked before, but it would be nice to get both working at some point.

Also, when the door is opened, power cuts to the radio. Meaning, completely lost, (clock and presets are reset), however, the radio still has some power.. it buzzes, and when you rev the engine, the buzzing gets louder, and works again when the door is shut.

Also, when you press in the cigarette lighter, it will not heat up, but instead that courtesy light under the dash comes on.

I suspect I have a wire crossed somewhere, (possibly a 12v wire grounding from the door switch), but I don't know where, or maybe this isnt the problem.

Anyone who can help out or give any advice at all, I'd really appreciate it.

Heres a list of the wires I spliced into for the remote starter (Boa 165B Remote Starter):
- (2) Constant 12 volts in the ignition harness
- Starter wire
- Ignition Wire
- Accessory wire
- Brake switch wire
- Parking lights
- Tach wire (aftermarket tach)

OverBoardProject
11-20-2004, 12:21 AM
I would have to see the truck to really be able to see what's wrong, and I don't imagine that you live close enough to me for that to work... but there are a few things that I'm wondering

1- why did you hook into the brake switch wire. If it's a standard you should hook into the emergancy brake switch.

2- why did you hook into the tach ? most cars don't have a tach so this shouldn't be required

3- I imagine that you hooked into the park lights to find your car easily. I personaly believe that hooking these to the alarm system is a beter idea. If you have an alarm... Besides do you want any would be theives to have an easier time to find your running car

I'd try disconecting these, and re-locate the constant power supply to the battery conections and see what happens.

I really don't like splicing into the middle of any wires. I'd rather hook up the wires right to the switch, or fuse box. It's easier to trouble shoot later and less likely to cause problems

Good luck

kooki3
11-20-2004, 06:49 AM
1- The instructions recommended the brake switch wire. This shuts off the vehicle if it is remotely started and someone steps on the brake
2- When the vehicle is started, the starter can either moniter voltage or tach at start up. I opted to use tach since my tach wire was in a convenient location to be spliced.
3- Parking lights would signal so I would know when the vehicle is started or stopped. I'm not worried about thieves, I live in a small town, my doors are always unlocked anyways.

The install kit also recommended splicing into the constant power in the ignition harness, obviously because of the good amperage there.

BlazerLT
11-20-2004, 03:43 PM
Take the truck to a installation center and have them properly wire it up for you.

They are flawless and will fix your problems for you.

ponchonutty
11-21-2004, 08:32 AM
I am a DEI dealer and own my own shop. He had to hook up what he mentioned. Brake wire is used to shut the RS down once you insert the key. Lights are used for the obvious. Tach is the most important to hook up to have flawless operation.

Personally, I'd have to see the car too. My guess is that you hooked something wrong with the RS adn it blew a fuse, now the system is back feeding making these problems present. Check the horn/cig./radio fuse(s). I am sure that's part of the problem. Also, double check your wiring. Remember that you can't and don't have to use ALL of the connections in the remote start such as if you only have one ignition or one accessory, you don't have to use the extra pink/white ign/acc wire from the RS. You should just tape it off.

onebigkid
11-21-2004, 09:36 AM
I dont know for sure if this will help you but I have a 91 pu 4x4 and had alot of problems with my grounds I ended up running a ground from the batt to a block inside the truck and from the block to the body and every time I install a new ground I run it to the block does the remote start work you never said that another thing I had problem with are the fuses look at them good or just replace them I had one that looked good but when I replaced it my dash problems went away

Add your comment to this topic!