Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

93 S-10 Blazer 4 W/D problems

coketrash
11-19-2004, 04:46 PM
:confused: I`m new here, but I really need help !!!! You see it`s deer season here in the U.P. of Michigan, and a blazer with only 2 wheel drive just don`t cut it. I have a 93 S-10 blazer with touch button 4 w/d. When I try putting in to 4 hi both the 4 hi and 4 low lights flash, after several attempts at this both lights light up but it`s still in 2 w/d, if I hit the 4low side of the switch it will go in to 4 low and it has 4 w/d. I`ve tried removing a battery cable for a few minutes, and that did work until I shut the truck off and re-started it, so again it`s acting up. Also when it acts up, the only time I have any power to the 4 hi-4 low button is when the transmission selector is in neutral. Please help, I`ve only got a few days to get in the woods, it would be a hike without 4W/D Thanks in advance

coketrash
11-20-2004, 12:43 PM
:banghead: Can`t believe 8 views and no advise!!!

BlazerLT
11-20-2004, 03:39 PM
Electronic Transfer Case Encoder Motor

Replace it.

alleng
11-21-2004, 10:03 PM
:confused: I`m new here, but I really need help !!!! You see it`s deer season here in the U.P. of Michigan, and a blazer with only 2 wheel drive just don`t cut it. I have a 93 S-10 blazer with touch button 4 w/d. When I try putting in to 4 hi both the 4 hi and 4 low lights flash, after several attempts at this both lights light up but it`s still in 2 w/d, if I hit the 4low side of the switch it will go in to 4 low and it has 4 w/d. I`ve tried removing a battery cable for a few minutes, and that did work until I shut the truck off and re-started it, so again it`s acting up. Also when it acts up, the only time I have any power to the 4 hi-4 low button is when the transmission selector is in neutral. Please help, I`ve only got a few days to get in the woods, it would be a hike without 4W/D Thanks in advance
I have seen the same problem before. There should be a ground wire on the back of each cyl head. Check to be sure that both are tight. They are the ground wires for the 4wd system. Good Luck.

alleng
11-21-2004, 10:11 PM
I have seen the problem you describe. There are ground wires on the back of both cyl heads. They are the grounds for the 4wd system. If they are loose or the wires are damaged it will do exactly what you have described. Check them first before changing any parts. Also, if the system has seen a malfunction, sometimes you have to let the system relearn. Pull the 4wd fuse for 3 min. Then after reinstalling the fuse, turn the key on and off 5 times for about 5 seconds per time for the 4wd computer to relearn. Good luck. Greg

coketrash
11-26-2004, 04:13 PM
I have seen the same problem before. There should be a ground wire on the back of each cyl head. Check to be sure that both are tight. They are the ground wires for the 4wd system. Good Luck.
:disappoin O.K., I`ve replaced the encoder motor, replaced the 4hi-4low switch, cleaned ALL the ground wires, pulled the fuse, re-installed the fuse, cycled the ignition switch 5 times, pausing approx. 10 sec. each time, replaced the vacc. switch. Worked as it should until I turned the ignition switch off, re-started the truck about 1/2 hr. later, then it was as it was before, so I disconected the battery cable again, waited about 5 min., re-connected the cable, again it was fine until I shut the truck off. When it`s working the 4hi will go in in all gears, at any speed, when it`s not working the 4hi-4low button only has power in neutral. I can get it in 4 low, but only by toggeling the switch numerous times while in neutral, :wtf:

Mikado14
11-26-2004, 04:19 PM
Are you getting any codes?

coketrash
11-26-2004, 04:22 PM
:disappoin O.K., I`ve replaced the encoder motor, replaced the 4hi-4low switch, cleaned ALL the ground wires, pulled the fuse, re-installed the fuse, cycled the ignition switch 5 times, pausing approx. 10 sec. each time, replaced the vacc. switch. Worked as it should until I turned the ignition switch off, re-started the truck about 1/2 hr. later, then it was as it was before, so I disconected the battery cable again, waited about 5 min., re-connected the cable, again it was fine until I shut the truck off. When it`s working the 4hi will go in in all gears, at any speed, when it`s not working the 4hi-4low button only has power in neutral. I can get it in 4 low, but only by toggeling the switch numerous times while in neutral, :wtf:
No codes, other tha this, everything is fine.

coketrash
11-26-2004, 04:27 PM
I`m getting to think this truck just isn`t worth the aggrivation

Mikado14
11-26-2004, 04:28 PM
On second thought, I think I spoke with you before. Did you check the relay that is located behind the glove box? Did you check the plug at the encoder to see if power is getting to it using a test light?

coketrash
11-26-2004, 04:32 PM
After I disconect the battery, and turn the ignition switch on for the first time the relay and the motor both operate as they should, it`s after I turn the ignition switch off, and then re-start the truck that I have problems

Mikado14
11-26-2004, 04:38 PM
Do you hear the relay when this happens? If you don't, try wiggling the shifter lever. The ECM gets a signal from the switch as to what gear it is in, more than likely, that is not the problem. I take it that you never rechecked the power to the encoder when it does this on the second try?

coketrash
11-26-2004, 04:57 PM
When I first start the truck after the battery disconnect, I have power to the switch in gear, and to the relay, and motor. After I turn the truck off, and re-start, I only have power to the switch in neutral, tried wiggling the shift selector just short of tearing it off the column!!

BlazerLT
11-27-2004, 08:57 AM
Again, replace the encoder motor.

Does anyone listen anymore!

rlith
11-27-2004, 09:24 AM
Again, replace the encoder motor.

Does anyone listen anymore!

Obviously you don't, he already stated he replaced the encoder motor. More than likely it is the relay that sit's inbetween causing the problem. Either that or the BCM (Body control module) is not feeding the signal correctly.

coketrash
11-27-2004, 04:13 PM
BlazerLT, Normally before advise is given, the details of the problem are considered as a whole. You obviously are one of those guys that tend to put your mouth in gear before engaging your brain. In the past your being from Canada would have cut you some slack, I think those days are gone. Oh by the way, just in case you still don`t understand, IT WASN`T THE MOTOR !!!!!!!!!!

coketrash
11-27-2004, 04:32 PM
Electronic Transfer Case Encoder Motor

Replace it. BlazerLT, normally before advise is given, the details of the problem are considered as a whole. You obviously are one of those guys that tend to put there mouth in gear before engaging your brain. In the past your being from Canada would have cut you some slack, I think those days are gone. Oh, by the way, just in case you still don`t understand. IT WASN`T THE MOTOR !!!!!!!!!

BlazerLT
11-27-2004, 04:55 PM
BlazerLT, normally before advise is given, the details of the problem are considered as a whole. You obviously are one of those guys that tend to put there mouth in gear before engaging your brain. In the past your being from Canada would have cut you some slack, I think those days are gone. Oh, by the way, just in case you still don`t understand. IT WASN`T THE MOTOR !!!!!!!!!

It was a mistake. I answer and help lots of people in this forums and I am sorry that I slipped up.

BTW, how does my nationality come into question here?

How does me being Canadian have anything to do with this?

But I guess you are perfect aren't you and you NEVER make a mistake.

coketrash
11-27-2004, 06:52 PM
It was a mistake. I answer and help lots of people in this forums and I am sorry that I slipped up.

BTW, how does my nationality come into question here?

How does me being Canadian have anything to do with this?

But I guess you are perfect aren't you and you NEVER make a mistake. I`ll try and respond to your questions, actually there is only one question, you just got so bent out of shape that you had a brain fart, and worded it differently. You see it actually isn`t all your fault, your only being led by a press and a government, that is so far left, and so liberal, that it`s just in their make-up to conclude things, and say things without all the facts. Even with the facts, they sometimes pay no real attention to them. But alas` Fox News is coming your way, so you too can be "fair and balanced". You see when you responded to my problem, I noticed that you were very active in responding to others, the trusting person I am, I never checked out your advise. Now that I have done so I see alot of "this is where your P.C.V. valve is" "change your trans fluid" nothing of any real substance.
As far as my never making a mistake, that question just narrows your age bracket, I`d say 14 to 17 (must be your mom`s LT) Before retirement I was Manager for waste managements Great Lakes maintenance division, and yes I visited your great country often. When I encountered this problem with my ol` plow truck, I figured, let`s try the web. And here we are today. I guess I`ll find a wiring diagram, and do it the old fashion way. THANKS TO YOU GUYS THAT ACTUALLY GAVE THIS SOME THOUGHT, figured we had it there for awhile.

Mikado14
11-27-2004, 07:36 PM
BlazerLT, normally before advise is given, the details of the problem are considered as a whole. You obviously are one of those guys that tend to put there mouth in gear before engaging your brain. In the past your being from Canada would have cut you some slack, I think those days are gone. Oh, by the way, just in case you still don`t understand. IT WASN`T THE MOTOR !!!!!!!!!

I think I understand your handle now. I had three trucks over the road and hauled the spent coke from Bethlehem Steel as Residual Waste. Would that be the coke trash?

I can't wait to see the response you get from your post.

Also, if you want, private EMail me and I will copy a print for you at work and mail if you wish.

Best of Luck!

coketrash
11-27-2004, 08:15 PM
I think I understand your handle now. I had three trucks over the road and hauled the spent coke from Bethlehem Steel as Residual Waste. Would that be the coke trash?

I can't wait to see the response you get from your post.

Also, if you want, private EMail me and I will copy a print for you at work and mail if you wish.

Best of Luck!No, the coketrash actually comes from a life long collection of coca~cola items. Back then it was just trash. But I do know Bethlehem steel, we had a large crushing operation there for 4or5 years. I`ll drop you a line, this isn`t a big thing, 4lo got me where I wanted to go. More aggrevating than anything. Like anything, someone was smart enough to design it, all we have to do is fix it. :wave:

BlazerLT
11-27-2004, 11:24 PM
I`ll try and respond to your questions, actually there is only one question, you just got so bent out of shape that you had a brain fart, and worded it differently. You see it actually isn`t all your fault, your only being led by a press and a government, that is so far left, and so liberal, that it`s just in their make-up to conclude things, and say things without all the facts. Even with the facts, they sometimes pay no real attention to them. But alas` Fox News is coming your way, so you too can be "fair and balanced". You see when you responded to my problem, I noticed that you were very active in responding to others, the trusting person I am, I never checked out your advise. Now that I have done so I see alot of "this is where your P.C.V. valve is" "change your trans fluid" nothing of any real substance.
As far as my never making a mistake, that question just narrows your age bracket, I`d say 14 to 17 (must be your mom`s LT) Before retirement I was Manager for waste managements Great Lakes maintenance division, and yes I visited your great country often. When I encountered this problem with my ol` plow truck, I figured, let`s try the web. And here we are today. I guess I`ll find a wiring diagram, and do it the old fashion way. THANKS TO YOU GUYS THAT ACTUALLY GAVE THIS SOME THOUGHT, figured we had it there for awhile.

Wow, talk about someone coming in swinging for no reason.

That's ok, it is normal for a right-wing whack job to act that way.

You know also what right wing whack jobs do, they bring politics and nationality slurs to an automotive forums.

But that's ok also.

But I am not going to lower myself to your intolerable level of paranoia, ignorance and aggression people like you are known for.

Oh, and the Mom thing? How mature..... But agina, right up your alley there ain't it bigboy.

coketrash
11-28-2004, 08:00 AM
Wow, talk about someone coming in swinging for no reason.

That's ok, it is normal for a right-wing whack job to act that way.

You know also what right wing whack jobs do, they bring politics and nationality slurs to an automotive forums.

But that's ok also.

But I am not going to lower myself to your intolerable level of paranoia, ignorance and aggression people like you are known for.

Oh, and the Mom thing? How mature..... But agina, right up your alley there ain't it bigboy.
:loser: Over 4hrs. I waited for a reply from you last night, and this is all I get??? Your no fun @ all, lighten up. Just consider this a learning experience :grinyes:

Mikado14
11-28-2004, 10:40 AM
:loser: Over 4hrs. I waited for a reply from you last night, and this is all I get??? Your no fun @ all, lighten up. Just consider this a learning experience :grinyes:

I'm surprised, I quess he likes me more with the responses I get.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=317340&page=4

This will show the level of maturity he has.

coketrash
11-28-2004, 04:37 PM
I'm surprised, I quess he likes me more with the responses I get.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=317340&page=4

This will show the level of maturity he has.WOW !!!! Without reading this one, I guess I pegged him pretty good !! Awesome. Only thing, I guess I got his age thing a little off, 14 tops. Education, which I guess he speaks of often, my guess, home schooled in a class of 2, his classmate being his older sister who slaps him up along side of the head quite often. The results of him getting bitch slapped?? Read his outbursts> I just figured after reading some of his posts he was as you described him a "pup" and would be easily rattled, and we could lighten things up a little. The easily rattled part was right, but who knew he`d turn out to be an arrogant little terd.

rlith
11-28-2004, 05:35 PM
LOL, you should see it! He was booted from s10planet.com, everyone hates him on blazinlow.com, s10forum.com, s-series.org and www.s-seriesforum.com (http://www.s-seriesforum.com) We had to delete the entire EGR mod thread because of his crap. He complained that the EGR mod made his motor ping/knock. When we tried to help he literally went nuts and screamed that there wasn't anything wrong with his truck. We continued to try and help him and simply got slapped. Come several months later he realized that his EGR passages were blocked with carbon...(gads I need to dig up that thread) Just go to any of the boards mentioned above and do a search for his name and you will see what I mean. Automotiveforums.com is just another board he will once again alienate everyone.

BlazerLT
11-28-2004, 06:02 PM
lol, hates me?

Give me a break Rlith,

This coming from a guy that has been proven to haven stolen from a member on s10forum right? Yip, like you can say anything Rlith, you have been called out for ripping off and stealing from a former member there.

You see, anyone reading this, I have had problems with Rlith on many boards due to our bumping heads on several issues.. But guess what, I don't care.

This is normal, and I am not going to be a catalyst for anymore idiots like these guys gang slamming me for no reason.

I have never alienated anyone and if you can see by my posting, I am here to help people, not kiss these assholes rear end.

If you have a problem with me, that's fine, because I really don't care either way.

I will just keep on helping people and I don't care what you say.

Just keep on with your immature rambling moron, cause I don't give a rats ass.

Love you!!! XXXXOOOOO

coketrash
11-28-2004, 07:16 PM
lol, hates me?

Give me a break Rlith,

This coming from a guy that has been proven to haven stolen from a member on s10forum right? Yip, like you can say anything Rlith, you have been called out for ripping off and stealing from a former member there.

You see, anyone reading this, I have had problems with Rlith on many boards due to our bumping heads on several issues.. But guess what, I don't care.

This is normal, and I am not going to be a catalyst for anymore idiots like these guys gang slamming me for no reason.

I have never alienated anyone and if you can see by my posting, I am here to help people, not kiss these assholes rear end.

If you have a problem with me, that's fine, because I really don't care either way.

I will just keep on helping people and I don't care what you say.

Just keep on with your immature rambling moron, cause I don't give a rats ass.

Love you!!! XXXXOOOOOEEE GADDS, I wish this had video, I really think LT was jumpin up&down & :crying: stamping his feet

hobs62
11-29-2004, 05:36 PM
I might be too late to help here since things got a little off track, but anyway i had a similar problem with a 93 which turned out to indeed be the encoder motor. However, it took me, my mechanic, a scanner and the diagnostic flow charts from GM a couple hours to eliminate the control module under the dash as the culprit. A bad module and a bad motor will both act as you described in the initial post.

Mikado14
11-29-2004, 06:29 PM
Here's a little more specific info on the 93 for you coketrash.

There is a TCCM (Transfer Case Control Module). It receives power in two places, One from connection B on the fuse block (ign) (brn-wht) and a continuous hot from the Horn fuse (org). There are also two connections from the Park neutral switch. The first is drk-grn and the second is org-blk. It also recieves a signal from the VSS buffer (brn). The encoder motor is supplied with power from the power acc C8 (org-blk). The encoder motor is grounded through the TCCM.

Not only does the TCCM receive a speed signal from the VSS buffer, it must also receive one from the encoder.

All the colors of wire are located at the TCCM. Due the fact that there are several power sources, I would check that the Power Acc is suppling power for the motor. The second thing that comes to mind is that you said that you get into 4Lo but not 4Hi. I would look to the VSS buffer. If the two signals (one from the VSS and one from the encoder speed sense) don't match, the TCCM will not allow the transfer case to stay engaged and will remain in 2WD. However, since 4Lo must be done in Park or neutral, it will function.

If you need pin numbers or additional wire info, let me know.

coketrash
11-29-2004, 07:05 PM
Here's a little more specific info on the 93 for you coketrash.

There is a TCCM (Transfer Case Control Module). It receives power in two places, One from connection B on the fuse block (ign) (brn-wht) and a continuous hot from the Horn fuse (org). There are also two connections from the Park neutral switch. The first is drk-grn and the second is org-blk. It also recieves a signal from the VSS buffer (brn). The encoder motor is supplied with power from the power acc C8 (org-blk). The encoder motor is grounded through the TCCM.

Not only does the TCCM receive a speed signal from the VSS buffer, it must also receive one from the encoder.

All the colors of wire are located at the TCCM. Due the fact that there are several power sources, I would check that the Power Acc is suppling power for the motor. The second thing that comes to mind is that you said that you get into 4Lo but not 4Hi. I would look to the VSS buffer. If the two signals (one from the VSS and one from the encoder speed sense) don't match, the TCCM will not allow the transfer case to stay engaged and will remain in 2WD. However, since 4Lo must be done in Park or neutral, it will function.

If you need pin numbers or additional wire info, let me know.Wow, that was a mouthfull !!! But EXACTLY what info I was looking for. It not working in any gear other than Park, and Neutral, naturally would make one figure theres another power source(or 2) Now I have a mission, thanks for the tech info, and not a shot from the hip..

coketrash
11-29-2004, 07:11 PM
I might be too late to help here since things got a little off track, but anyway i had a similar problem with a 93 which turned out to indeed be the encoder motor. However, it took me, my mechanic, a scanner and the diagnostic flow charts from GM a couple hours to eliminate the control module under the dash as the culprit. A bad module and a bad motor will both act as you described in the initial post.
Thanks hobs62 for the reply, things never really got off track. Just trying to lighten things up a little. After all, it`s just a broken S.U.V. Life goes on

crluver123
09-17-2005, 10:51 PM
i just bought a 93 s-10 blazer a week ago. havent registered it yet, wanted to fix everything wrong with it completely before putting it on the road. after all, i only paid $200 for it, and have only spent approx $200 on parts, and have only very minor adjustments left to do for the truck to be literally mechanically perfect. but...

the exact same problem that started this thread just happened to me today out of nowhere. it worked fine yesterday, then today since initial startup this was happening. i ran a quick search in yahoo and discovered this thread. after studying this thread for a bit trying to understand everything, i also checked for codes and looked up what they were. i was getting codes 67 81 and 82.
after about 2 hours of messin around with stuff, i fixed the problem. turns out the whole time it was just the fact that one of the bolts holding the tccm to the transfer case was too tight. i loosened the bolt, then retightened to about what i thought it should be for an aluminum-threaded bolt. problem solved.
to double check that this was the culprit, i tightened it back to what it was. again the problem arose. i heated the module and its retaining bolts up with a hair dryer, and the problem went away. doused it in ice-water and the problem came back. my only theory was that with the bolt being so tight, when it got cold the bolt "shrunk" and pinched the motor to the point where it wouldnt fully turn in one direction. when heated up again the bolt "extended" just enough to allow the motor to fully turn in both directions.

what led me to this was when i went to pull the tccm off the transfer case for inspection. i had previously disconnected the battery, so it had no voltage at all. as soon as i loosened the first [lower] bolt, the motor spun a lil bit, like it was releasing from being held up somehow.

maybe, if anyone else has this problem, before replacing anything, do the cost-free thing and try this: remove the plug from the tccm with an 8mm socket. then with a 10mm socket and 10mm wrench, loosen all 3 retaining bolts for the tccm. then retighten all 3 bolts to spec or just shy of spec (im unsure of actual spec, but its aluminum, so come on now, only lightly tighten them). then bolt the plug back on and give er a try.

burner24x
10-28-2005, 07:55 AM
this is how i solved my four wheel drive problem on my 2003 s-10 zr2.
to start i would like to tell everyone about myself. i am a groud support equipment mechanic in the MARINES. i am used to trouble shooting stupid problems that end up with a retarted ass solution.
this may work for some people but i dont know. i had the same problem as everyone else. i could put it in 4lo and 2hi but not 4hi. i wanted to find the simplest thing first. the key to troubleshooting a gripe is to go to the simplest thing first, so that is what i did. i went straight to the fuses they are small simple things. i put my multimeter on the diode selection so that i could get a beep each time i had continuity. i started with the ones in the cab by the drivers door and those all checked good then i went to the ones under the hood by the abs module. i checked all of them and they all checked good except one. it was the ETC FUSE it was a 20 amp fuse. so i replaced it and the new one blew so i was like wtf? then i decided since i didnt have any extra fuses to try and up the amperage of the fuse, i would use a small wire to jump the gap and see if that would work, it did. i now have complete control of my 4wd. i can go from low to high to 2 hi to 4hi, what ever i want, its great to have four wheel drive. well if anyone else tries this and it works email me and let me know.
it sucks that gm, after making years of good cars is starting to slack on their engineering skills. i am going to progressively go up on the fuses till i find one that doesnt blow. 25, 30,35, and at the most 40A. cause the circuit needs some kind of protection.

Add your comment to this topic!