Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

OIL Problem - Leaking from filter

91PASSAT_OWNER
11-19-2004, 08:50 AM
Hi all,
I posted a while back aboput trouble codes.

I have since replaced both sensors on the OIL filter housing.
DETAILS of the car :
91 PASSAT GLS
North AMerican
1.8 with AIR, Heated Seats

The problem i am having is the wiring for the two sensors.
What color wire should go on what sensor. There is a blue/black and a yellow/black???m I think that is the right colors.

Anyways i have tried both configurations the the oil light still flashes.

ANY IDEAS, if i ground the yellow/black wire directly, the light stays off in the car, but since i have done this, i have a new problem.

Some days when i start the car in the morning, OIL SPRAYS from the filter, i had the pressure checked and the mechanic said it was fine.

Thanks for any ideas or help.

boschmann
11-19-2004, 11:25 PM
Where on the filter is it spraying from, at the gasket?

91PASSAT_OWNER
11-21-2004, 08:59 AM
Yes around the filter gasket, I have tighten it, beyond hand tight, but less than get a wrench to tighten it..LOL

boschmann
11-21-2004, 04:23 PM
Obviously it shouldn't need that, is there a problem with the gasket or do you suspect a pressure problem?

91PASSAT_OWNER
11-23-2004, 06:59 AM
I think it is pressure, I ground one of the wires to stop the light in the dash from beeping, Ever since doing that i have had this probelm.

This is why i need the wire colors for the two sensore, i may have screwed them up, inverse the wires, so i need to make sure that i didn't screw them up.

I don't have a repair manual for this car yet. I have to order it from hayes.

TIA!

boschmann
11-23-2004, 09:01 PM
The yellow wire goes to the 1.8 bar switch & the blue/black goes to the .3 bar switch (the switches are marked regarding their pressure points). Grounding the wire wouldn't cause the overpressure problem.

91PASSAT_OWNER
11-24-2004, 07:12 PM
Thanks Boschman!!!

Well the over presure is the issue for sure, i put a new oil filter on the car, and it keeps blowing the seal appart, what would cause that much pressure, could it be blow by from the pistons!!!! She does sound like a cold starting diesel, under load.

91PASSAT_OWNER
11-25-2004, 06:02 PM
If the back sensor is the pressure sensor what is the front sensor on the oil filter housing.

the .3 bar switch?

boschmann
11-27-2004, 07:31 PM
I'm afraid you're leaking engine compression into the oil system. The best scenario would be a blown head gasket, the worst would be am internal crack in the head or block. Do you have access to a compression tester?

Add your comment to this topic!