Replacing factory Subwoofer?

jclayto
11-19-2004, 08:37 AM
I just bought an 02 Yukon and was notcing that it apparently has a factory sub in the rear. I havent had the chance to tear it apart yet but can anyone tell me if this is a 6inch or 8inch sub? Has anyone tried replacing it with an aftermarket? If so did it sound better? Did you add an amp or just use the factory system?

Thanks for any help on this!

'05DenalID
11-28-2004, 01:34 AM
I'd like to know this too. Where is the sub located is it in the rear seat aisle? or further back in the cargo compartment?

jclayto
11-29-2004, 06:44 AM
I just bought an 02 Yukon and was notcing that it apparently has a factory sub in the rear. I havent had the chance to tear it apart yet but can anyone tell me if this is a 6inch or 8inch sub? Has anyone tried replacing it with an aftermarket? If so did it sound better? Did you add an amp or just use the factory system?

Thanks for any help on this!

The sub is on the right side of the rear cargo compartment. Looks to be an 8 inch but no one seems to know about replacing it. I guess i'll just let it be for a while.

Yukon Cornelius
12-18-2004, 11:57 PM
The sub is an 8". I replaced it with an MTX 8" because the MTX is a little thinner than most subs. You'll have to use a Dremel tool though. Just a little off here and there and it fits just fine.

tonytone
12-20-2004, 01:09 PM
I'd like to know this too. Where is the sub located is it in the rear seat aisle? or further back in the cargo compartment?
I dunno about the Yukons, but on later-year (e.g., '03+ or '04+) Denalis the sub is a six-incher located underneath the center storage console (directly between the two front seats).

McCann
12-20-2004, 07:56 PM
Okay All,

I am totally ignorant on this subject and have some questions. My 97 GC Jeep has a bose system and sounds darn good. My '02Yukon XL SLT sounds decent when a CD is in but sounds very plain when the radio is playing. My wife swears that CD's do not sound as good on the XL as in the Jeep. (I'm thinking Johnny Cash sounds good on anything!)

It is the standart Delco radio/cd with cassette.

Any suggestions on what I should do to improve?

Thanks!

Mike

Yukon Cornelius
12-20-2004, 10:06 PM
Speakers, Speakers, Speakers! Get rid of the factory speakers and get a decent, middle of the road or higher, set of Pioneers, Cerwin Vegas, Alpine...whatever you choose will be better than the factory ones. If you also add a middle of the road Rockford Fosgate Punch amp, that will clean up your sound better as well. You can spend a ton of money on sound equipment but for the average joe, like most of us are, middle of the road is the way to go. My son spent well over a grand on his system for his F-150 and mine in my Yukon was around half that and it sounds just a good. Good luck!

rgloston
12-30-2004, 02:04 PM
*Personal Experience*
Infinity makes pretty darn good speakers. As for Rockford Fosgate Punch amps, they are NOT what they use to be. My old Punch100 (bridged) gave my 800W Pioneer (bridged) a great run for the money with my two 12" Infinity 1280 subs (enclosed box). That's just my opinion. Like YC stated, look to purchasing after-market. Research for quality. My '02 Yukon's factory speakers (excluding the sub) sound great (non-amplified) with the additional "knock" in the cargo area. Good luck!

jclayto
12-30-2004, 10:08 PM
*Personal Experience*
Infinity makes pretty darn good speakers. As for Rockford Fosgate Punch amps, they are NOT what they use to be. My old Punch100 (bridged) gave my 800W Pioneer (bridged) a great run for the money with my two 12" Infinity 1280 subs (enclosed box). That's just my opinion. Like YC stated, look to purchasing after-market. Research for quality. My '02 Yukon's factory speakers (excluding the sub) sound great (non-amplified) with the additional "knock" in the cargo area. Good luck!
\

I guess thats what I was orignally asking. Im happy with my factory speakers and even the sub is ok.. but what if i poped it out and poped in a decent aftermarket, no amp etc. Would this help? i'm assuming there is a factory amp correct?

Thanks!

Add your comment to this topic!