Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

EGR gasket w/screen upgrade

chembrad
11-18-2004, 11:19 PM
I just had to chip out the carbon buildup that was blocking a 3/4" EGR passage down to ~1/8". Is that a problem? :eek7:

I ordered the EGR valve gasket (TOMCO# 2-1357) the tag line goes: "Catch and filter out carbon particles in the EGR system that cause stalling and rough idle. Inspect and clean or replace every 10,000 to 15,000 miles (5,000 to 10,000 miles if vehicle is subject to short trip operation.)"

I figure this is an easy service to replace the egr gasket every 10k rather than having to pull the plenum and clean out the EGR passage.

Anyone have any experience with this?

BlazerLT
11-19-2004, 12:30 PM
You do NOT want to trap the carbon inside of the vehicle.

Do not use the gasket, you want the vehicle getting rid of the carbon, not trapping it in there.

chembrad
11-19-2004, 05:20 PM
The screen is in the EGR gasket and I don't see how that will trap carbon in the engine. It seems to just prevent carbon getting into the EGR. And it sure is easier to clean an EGR gasket screen than to pull the plenum to get at the EGR passageway.

What causes the EGR passageway to clog up with all the carbon that I saw?

BlazerLT
11-20-2004, 01:29 AM
Bro, the screen stops the carbon from the engine getting into the EGR valve.

You don't want this, you want to get the carbon out.

The carbon is not going to collect in the screen so you clean it, it will be trapped as pebbles inside the engine when you remove the valve.

rlith
11-21-2004, 12:01 PM
The cardon does not exit regardless. The screen prevents blockage of the carbon build up from getting into the egr. Most newer egr gaskets from GM even have the screen on them. You cannot completely prevent carbon buildup in the egr passages. Screens are reccomended by GM

BlazerLT
11-21-2004, 05:45 PM
I undestand, but having 100s of carbon pebbles in your intake is not a goot thing either.

rlith
11-21-2004, 06:58 PM
They're not going to magically blow out either, they will get stuck in the egr valve and stop, so it doesn't matter, easier to have the in the intake and blow them out once every couple of years that...

BlazerLT
11-21-2004, 07:03 PM
Ok, and how do you blow them out?

rlith
11-21-2004, 09:06 PM
Like any other time, simply pull the egr, turn on the car for a minute while reving, reinstall the egr..Every couple of years would do it, but in the meantime the pintle doesn't get clogged. Either way you will have some for of build up, but doing the screen or the EGR mod staves it off for longer.

BlazerLT
11-21-2004, 11:47 PM
Ah, well, you never stated that ealier.

You sure it is safe to start the truck with the EGR valve uninstalled?

What can they expect when they do it?

How long do you do that for?

Do you reset the computer after?

What can you expect to fly out the opening where the EGR valve was installed?

rlith
11-22-2004, 06:23 AM
don'tr really need to reset computer
Blow it out for a minute or so by reving the engine without it (provided it's loose carbon, or just treat it with seafoam)

troubles789
11-22-2004, 07:33 AM
Just sounds like a loud exhaust leak Blazerlt. I did this when messing with my egr. I still dont see why we cant just block those darn things off. Where does the carbon go on my 69 camaro and 65 chevelle? They been running fine for years, owned one since 81 and 88. No egr there to hassle us.

rlith
11-22-2004, 07:38 AM
Don't block it off troubles, do the EGR restrictor mod on it.

Add your comment to this topic!