Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 Jimmy Tail shaft

rustyrun
11-18-2004, 07:49 PM
I just bought a mint, loaded Jimmy with 84K. I took it to the GMC dealer for a thorough check out and one of the things they mentioned is that the transmission tailshaft needed replaced.

Now mind you they were charging me $45.00 to change a dash light, $35.00 for a back-up light, and $272.00 to replace the front disc brakes.

Too bad the mechanics do not get a better cut of these charges.

What is the tail shaft and is it something I could do because I am very mechanically inclined?

JackDaniels386
11-18-2004, 10:01 PM
the tail shaft is in the transmission, and if youve never done it before, I would take it to a shop and have them do it. basically, the tail shaft is a shaft with gears on it, and to replace it, youd have to get all the gears off the shaft, and put a new one in, then put the gears back on, and probably the gear selectors and all the other things on there. Youd need one of those claw looking things to pull the gears off the shaft because theyre on there pretty snug, and the little c-clips are also a pain to get off and on without breaking them. I would take it into a shop.

BlazerLT
11-18-2004, 10:08 PM
I just bought a mint, loaded Jimmy with 84K. I took it to the GMC dealer for a thorough check out and one of the things they mentioned is that the transmission tailshaft needed replaced.

Now mind you they were charging me $45.00 to change a dash light, $35.00 for a back-up light, and $272.00 to replace the front disc brakes.

Too bad the mechanics do not get a better cut of these charges.

What is the tail shaft and is it something I could do because I am very mechanically inclined?

GEt a chilton's and haynes repair manual and do the bulb replacement and front brake pads yourself.

And if you EVER take you truck to a stealer again for work, I will personally invest in the gas to drive to whereever you live and give you a violent slap up along the back of you head.

;)

rustyrun
11-19-2004, 04:59 PM
GEt a chilton's and haynes repair manual and do the bulb replacement and front brake pads yourself.

And if you EVER take you truck to a stealer again for work, I will personally invest in the gas to drive to whereever you live and give you a violent slap up along the back of you head.

;)

Thanks for your help and wisdom. Yes I will let the dealer do the tailshaft and I get a kick out of the outrageous charges they implement. But I still say Toyota is the worst. They wanted almost $400.00 for a V6 tuneup. Imagine all those people who actually pay that amount....

rlith
11-21-2004, 12:05 PM
At 84k the tail shaft shouldn't need to be replaced. I would honestly bring it to a local reputable transmission shop (stay away from Aaamco and Cottman chains) and have them look at it. If you are getting a clunk when hitting the gas it is more than likely just your ujoints. Again, take it to a tranny shop before investing the money in the tail shaft.

BlazerLT
11-21-2004, 11:49 PM
It is almost 7-8 years old.

It might need replacing but as rlith said, take it to several shops and don't mention what is wrong to them.

Let them figure it out.

Add your comment to this topic!