Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

how to paint spokes of deep dish wheels ?

globetrotter
11-18-2004, 12:29 PM
How can i paint the spokes of my zakspeed capri ?

see it at www.hlj.com/scripts/hljpage.cgi?tam24274

Thanks in advance

freakray
11-18-2004, 12:35 PM
My recommendation would be to use liquid mask to mask them and then airbrush, or you could just carefully brush paint them.

primera man
11-18-2004, 01:46 PM
I have just brought this kit this week.
Have looked at the rims and i'd just use a light coats with a brush

nervestrikes
11-18-2004, 02:48 PM
Paint carefuly, that what I did and it didn't turn out too bad.
http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/503/57665CAPRI_SIDE.jpg

globetrotter
11-19-2004, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the replies. airbrushing is out of the question since i don't have an airbrush.

If i would paint them with a brush. What kind of paint schould i use enamel or acryl. Cause a friend of me advised me to paint them with acryl (does it excist in gold anyway). But i think acryl would be to runny to paint the spokes with since the rim is chromed and the surface is super smooth.

I guess the best option would be masking with maskol (liquid mask) and paint them with enamel.

Vric
11-19-2004, 01:30 PM
I would say Enamel since it take longer to dry and will hide a bit brush stroke

but it's depend also of what paint you will use under this paint

nervestrikes
11-19-2004, 01:52 PM
What ever Tamiya paint is that is what I used. I thought worked pretty well.

Jumpman_Z
11-19-2004, 01:55 PM
Just use the smallest brush you can get, and try not to hit the rim. I like to let the paint it on the brush for about 20-30 seconds, so it can start to cure. This helps to keep the paint from running.

proosen
11-19-2004, 03:41 PM
If you brush paint with acrylic colours you can always clean up over paint with a alcohol moisted brush. As the chrome even withstands white spirit you can use enamels to and tidy up the work before it set. So don't worry, just relax and do it with a brush if you like. For spraying you just mask it of with liquid mask or Tamiya tape like I have done on the one below and spray it with your favorite can.

Niclas
http://images5.fotopic.net/?iid=y25lfk&outx=600&oq=0

Murray Kish
11-19-2004, 04:22 PM
I've had some pretty good luck using Silly Putty or Blu-Tak to mask and airbrush stuff like this. It totally conforms to any shape easily, and it can be 'pushed' or 'pulled' into place with a toothpick (I use a narrow putty knife).

Using a spray can is a bit risky, because the paint goes on pretty wet and there's a risk of it 'melting' the silly putty (turns all soft an gooey...)

Murray

globetrotter
11-20-2004, 11:39 AM
Ok thanks for the replies. Does any off you guys now how i schould paint the yellow dunlop marks on the tyres ? I was thinking of using a Tamiya paint marker.

Add your comment to this topic!