Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1995 bonneville sse questions

qball21
11-17-2004, 10:52 PM
Just a few questions if any one can help me, I have power seat on the seat of my bonne and was wondering if i bought the console adjustment part if it was already prewired to the seat, my other question is my radio controls on the steering wheel do not work is this a major fix or maybe a simple solution?

randman1
11-18-2004, 06:53 AM
The seat idea is a good question. Your existing seat is 6-way power if the switch is on the seat. The other seats are 6-way and then some with lumbar and bolster adjustments. You would not have those fundtions as your car is not equipped with the air bladders or air pump for those functions. Also, you would have to take a close look at the wiring diagram and the physical shape of the connectors. If the switches function the same, I.E. they both switch positive voltage or a ground, then the wires can be directly connected.

My guess would be that it will be a bigger project that it seems. I believe that there is a seat control module that you would also have to find and install.

The steering wheel controls do wear out. When you push on the button, it pushes a rubber thing which then pushes a switch on the curcuit board. The rubber things turn to a pudding-like mush after some time and will no longer be stiff enough to push the switch. Some have repaired the controls by replacing them with another material. I found that the straw that is included with a can of STP throttle body cleaner is small enough and stiff enough to do the trick. Although it would work, I was concerned that the switches may break during an accidental press of the switches while driving. The straw has no guve to it. Currently, I'm looking for either compression springs or other material that will have some give.

dleinbach
12-30-2004, 12:23 PM
Perhaps try picking up an old computer keyboard. Disassemble it, and see whether the membrane over the keypress sensors can be used to replace those in the steering wheel controls.

poindexterd
01-10-2005, 08:38 PM
I'm assuming this is a factory radio? If your buttons indeed are okay and you want the steering wheel controls to work for an after market radio, you need to have a special adaptor that emulates a remote control. (Mine worked good, but I couldn't find a good place to mount it since it requires line of sight to the radio. Right my controls only work when the shifter is in the park position. Oops.)

I can't remember if the radio controls were on a seperate plug or not, but if so, it could be just unplugged from the back of the radio if it's the factory one?

Add your comment to this topic!