Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 prelude vs. 00 celica gt-s

ProjectPhantom
11-17-2004, 11:09 AM
5 speed lude vs 4 speed tiptronic auto gt-s

who would win in a drag? and who would win in a game of cat and mouse? what would you guys prefer to have more?

oh yeah lets say both stock

FikseGTS
11-17-2004, 01:38 PM
I would say the prelude...... but it would be very close...

here are some numbers:

Prelude vs Celica (http://www.dragtimes.com/compare2.php?make1=18&model1=314&op1=%3D&year1=2000&make2=44&model2=656&op2=%3D&year2=2000&make3=&op3=%3D&year3=0&make4=&op4=%3D&year4=0&submitButtonName=Compare%21)

kman10587
11-17-2004, 05:35 PM
I'd normally go with the Celica, but with an auto tranny, the Celica's lack of torque is gonna make it less enjoyable to drive. I'd go with the 'Lude.

johnny2quick
11-17-2004, 06:07 PM
I'd normally go with the Celica, but with an auto tranny, the Celica's lack of torque is gonna make it less enjoyable to drive. I'd go with the 'Lude.

i have a manual gt-s. i'd go with the prelude in the drag and the celica in the twisties. among celica owners, it's a general consensus that the auto's aren't even worth adding a bunch of pwer mods. most of them just beef up the suspension

NISSANSPDR
11-17-2004, 09:51 PM
Prelude all the way

S2CorollaR
11-17-2004, 11:32 PM
Prelude both track and strip. Preludes have a very good chassis and supposedly the regular Prelude handles better than the SH. You also have to factor that in turns, it takes power to bring a car out of a turn. I beat an automatic 2001 Celica GTS in a drag race with a 97 Integra GSR that only had upgraded tires and a K&N. It can't be driver because we topped off at 120 and I had put on at least 4 or 5 car lengths on him before he tapped out (high beams). That was the day I vowed to myself that I would never get an automatic.

Dave1669
11-18-2004, 09:11 AM
Prelude. It would be about even if it were the manual Celica. And how does the base Prelude handle better than the SH?

S2CorollaR
11-18-2004, 01:30 PM
The Prelude SH is considerably heavier. The added weight apparantly makes a difference, and the power difference of the Prelude versus the SH keeps it ahead. Basically, the system helps, but they didn't add any horse power to the SH to make up for the added weight. The problem is the regular Prelude is more powerful coming out of and entering corners.

NISSANSPDR
11-18-2004, 03:31 PM
For as good as the SH is, the regular Prelude coming in at $3k cheaper (IIRC) makes it look like a bargain...I mean...for $3k you can get some really nice coilovers and some sticky sticky rubber and whoop any stock SH's arse anywhere...

3kgt8
11-18-2004, 03:59 PM
what is the difference between the base and the SH? both of them have the same hp but the base is almost 100lbs lighter? what the heck??

S2CorollaR
11-18-2004, 04:02 PM
It has this weird slip avoiding system that makes it lose traction less times when cornering. Basically when you hit the skid pad, your tires eventually start to squeel. What this system does, is kind of distributes different levels of power to one side of the car or the other to balance out the turning. Meaning, if you hit a skid at 75 mph, you'd ideally want the tire on the outside to have more force than the tire on the inside, so the system does it. It's really weird and I figured it out 45 minutes before the dealer salesmen trying to pitch the car to me, even figured out what the abbreviation stood for.

Dave1669
11-18-2004, 08:27 PM
Yeah, the SH is equipped with ATTS (active torque transfer system). In addition, the SH has a different set of wheels and a few features standard that were options on the base model.

ProjectPhantom
11-18-2004, 08:31 PM
what the damn so you're sayin that the base lude is better then the sh?1!?!?! i dont think the extra atts really makes that much of a diff to the speed.

kman10587
11-19-2004, 12:42 AM
The ATTS helps it a ton. It's definitely worth the extra money IMO.

ProjectPhantom
11-19-2004, 02:34 AM
lets put this a different way.... VTECH (just to piss people off...) vs. VVTL-I

S2CorollaR
11-19-2004, 03:05 AM
I'm a Toyota fan and I say VTEC. VVTL-i is a pain in the **()*)*^@(#$*^@()$*^@* to work with.

I have a 2002 Corolla and whenever I even accidentally coughed out the words "cams" or "headwork" I would catch holy hell...

ProjectPhantom
11-19-2004, 09:37 PM
so vvtl-i is harder to mod? and is there any diff between them? ive heard that vtecH is somewhat more efficient er something, that true?

I'm a Toyota fan and I say VTEC. VVTL-i is a pain in the **()*)*^@(#$*^@()$*^@* to work with.

I have a 2002 Corolla and whenever I even accidentally coughed out the words "cams" or "headwork" I would catch holy hell...

S2CorollaR
11-20-2004, 04:46 AM
so vvtl-i is harder to mod? and is there any diff between them? ive heard that vtecH is somewhat more efficient er something, that true?

It's not that VTEC is more efficient. To be honest, VVTL-i is more efficient stock for stock. The problem is that the ECU itself has a bunch of different valve settings dependant on current RPM and throttle pressure. The problem with this is that you can't feasibly install any valve/piston/head work unless it's to lower compression, kill VVTL-i, or if it were combined with a completely custom fabricated and programmed ECU.

VVT-i by itself is a pain to modify because basically the valve timings vary up the *** as the RPM gradually rise. It's kind of like "VTEC hitting from 1000RPM to 6000RPM". And when you combine lift, you have the valves doing all kinds of crazy crap that would be a pain in the ass to modify. You'd have to modify the individual valve timing throughout the entire RPM band if you wanted to install cams or pistons. And the problem with this system is also that the valves themselves can't be replaced by just "any" forged company. The valves on ZZ engines are way different than anything you've ever seen before, trust me.

The 2ZZGE and 1ZZFE engines with the valve timing systems on them, are actually better tunable when you deaden the whole VVT system on them, but the problem with that is you lose about 30 base horsepower, so what's the point of working with them if you do that? The block on them isn't strong enough to sustain a high amount of boost stock either and they don't do for a very good all motor build up compared to a B16 or H22 when VVT is deadened. The R/S ratio on the engine is really bad too, nothing like the B16 or even the B18C R/S ratio.

VTEC has a much larger aftermarket support that works around the system.

EDIT:

And BTW, the reason the automatic/triptronic GTS is crap is because the only reason the GTS 6 speed is so powerful is because shifting at 8200 RPM allows you to drop the next gear right at the perfect torque range in the RPM band. This would allow for a constant rise in acceleration the minute you hit 5000 RPM in first gear. The problem with the tiptronic is that it's five speed, and the gear shifting takes a long time so you drop out of the powerband that you want to be in when it finally does shift. It's also automatic, meaning you just don't get the right start. A tiptronic GTS is a joke... Probably competition for an automatic V6 Chevy Malibu or a Ford Tempo.

Master Hiko
11-20-2004, 05:15 AM
the prelude on both. the celica would only have the edge on the turns because of weight and wheel base but the lude's power overpowers both those aspects and the SH model would only make it worse for the gts. i am referring to a MT celica too so with an auto theres no dice. SH>>lude>>celica (MT) on a course and lude>>sh>>celica on track

S2CorollaR
11-20-2004, 02:33 PM
Eh? No way.....

Automatic yes, but not manual. The GTS performs par with Integra Type R on the road course when you factor in the 2000 model with the 8300 RPM rev limiter. It's incredibly powerful and incredibly light and it would make mince meat out of a manual Lude on the road course, both in straights and in turns.

The reason I said the Prelude in this comparison is because the Celica is automatic in this comparison. The GTS in 6 speed format is a much more powerful vehicle, it just doesn't have any aftermarket support.

Crippy
11-21-2004, 08:26 AM
Eh? No way.....

The GTS performs par with Integra Type R on the road course when you factor in the 2000 model with the 8300 RPM rev limiter.

not even close ... the ITR would own the gts on a road course , even the sh lude is no match for the ITR on a course ... straight line MAYBE ...

Dave1669
11-21-2004, 09:17 PM
In 1999 Car and Driver compared the base model Prelude with the Celica GTS (both manual) and the Prelude was slightly faster. Both cars had about the same lap time (I believe the Prelude did better by less than a second). I know different articles will have different results, but this one stuck out in my head the most. And I doubt the GTS could beat an ITR on any course. http://www.ntpog.org/articles/magazines/coupesde.pdf

ProjectPhantom
11-22-2004, 12:52 AM
dont auto cars redline if you gas it all the way down?

kman10587
11-22-2004, 02:30 AM
dont auto cars redline if you gas it all the way down?

Yeah, but they still lose power going through a torque convertor, and generally have less aggressive gear ratios.

ProjectPhantom
11-22-2004, 12:37 PM
so would the tiptronic shifter be more efficient? sorry for getting off topic...

kman10587
11-22-2004, 03:25 PM
No, it wouldn't. Manual trannies are more efficient than auto trannies, regardless of whether you can choose your own gears or not.

Master Hiko
11-23-2004, 02:19 PM
Eh? No way.....

Automatic yes, but not manual. The GTS performs par with Integra Type R on the road course when you factor in the 2000 model with the 8300 RPM rev limiter. It's incredibly powerful and incredibly light and it would make mince meat out of a manual Lude on the road course, both in straights and in turns.

The reason I said the Prelude in this comparison is because the Celica is automatic in this comparison. The GTS in 6 speed format is a much more powerful vehicle, it just doesn't have any aftermarket support.

omg do u even drive autox? mince meat outtava lude on the str8s? ok thats just stupid. im not sayin theres no way a gts could win but statistically the lude still wins but its a drivers race and if ur gonna compare the top trim celica then compare it to the SH. the only things the celica has on its side is weight for handling and closer gear ratio for acceleration both of which cant overpower the ludes torque or atts exiting turns. to get good times acceleration is needed to exit and if u want to accel u need torque unless ur on a highspeed track, in that case then itll do a little better but that also means that the turns arent high degree turns and that means its gonna depend on horsepower since its more of a str8 which the lude is superior in. like i said its a drivers race but statistics are on the ludes side

ProjectPhantom
11-23-2004, 05:54 PM
[QUOTE=kman10587]No, it wouldn't. Manual trannies are more efficient than auto trannies, regardless of whether you can choose your own gears or not.[/Q

o sorry i actually meant the aotu shifter more efficient than just using the auto alone. o and so if it was a 6 speed and drivers at same experience... the jude would over power with the extra torque right?

kman10587
11-23-2004, 05:58 PM
o sorry i actually meant the aotu shifter more efficient than just using the auto alone. o and so if it was a 6 speed and drivers at same experience... the jude would over power with the extra torque right?

I don't understand what you're trying to ask; the shifter has nothing to do with the efficiency of the transmission, it's just there so that you can select gears.

ProjectPhantom
11-23-2004, 06:12 PM
well ya know how the tip you can shift manually without clutch? or you can just click it to the side to use and keep it like a normal trans without manually shifting.

would using the thing manually make your car speed up quicker? or would not using it and just flooring the gas be better to get up to speed?

sorry for all these questions ive just never used and tip shifter before and just curious.

kman10587
11-23-2004, 06:27 PM
All TipTronic does is allow you to tell the automatic transmission to shift up or down; you don't actually shift the gears yourself, like you do in a manual. So no, it doesn't have a clutch, and no, it doesn't make any difference in speed which one you use; if you floor it, the tranny should automatically shift at redline anyways.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com if you have any more questions.

Add your comment to this topic!