Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

instrument panel lights

charlie2
11-16-2004, 10:28 AM
my instument panel lights don't work, changed the fuse and they are still not working. any suggestions?

Mystica24
11-16-2004, 01:59 PM
my instument panel lights don't work, changed the fuse and they are still not working. any suggestions?

I've had the same problem with my '99 cavalier. It all started when my ignition switch went bad and the ignorant mechanic that worked on it (chevy certified of course but still didn't know what he was doing) ripped off the dash and messed up something. Ever had that sort of work done under the dash ?

ttweakk27
11-16-2004, 02:19 PM
My guess would be the dimmer switch is bad

charlie2
11-16-2004, 02:38 PM
I've had the same problem with my '99 cavalier. It all started when my ignition switch went bad and the ignorant mechanic that worked on it (chevy certified of course but still didn't know what he was doing) ripped off the dash and messed up something. Ever had that sort of work done under the dash ?

I haven't had any of that kind of work done.

jayson716
11-16-2004, 02:39 PM
my guess would be the dimmer switch also. or start there. if it isnt connected they will not come on either.

ttweakk27
11-16-2004, 02:40 PM
The dimmer swiches can go bad and black out the panel lights

izinka58
11-21-2004, 05:28 PM
I have the same problem, but I replaced the dimmer switch, the instrument panel, checked the wires from behind the fuse block, and replaced the switch on the column and my lights still don't work, if anyone has any other ideas please post them.

martinfackler
11-21-2004, 05:37 PM
95 Jimmy and i am having same problem with dash lights.My high beam and turn signal indicators come on whenever i turn headlights on but they work properly.I tried new dimmer switch that didnt fix.Still have no dash lights.Anyone please help.

godenm
11-21-2004, 05:45 PM
this may sound stupid, but i had the same prob.with my dash lights,it blew a fuse and i replaced it and they still didnt work,but when i turned on the rear window defroster the damn things would work. come to find out my rear wind. defros. power wire going to switch was getting HOT and melting the dash light wire and was using that power to run dash lights and wouldnt let the dimmer switch turn them on.

Add your comment to this topic!