Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Problem w/3rd gear in '95 GSR

superfuji57
02-25-2002, 01:47 AM
I just recently bought a 95 integra gs-r....and when im going past 40 mph in 2nd gear and try to go into 3rd i feel a crack. The clutch is all the way down and i dont think its grinding...Before i take it to the shop can anyone help me with this problem???It only happens when going into 3rd gear at a high speed or high rpm
Thanks...

kidrocket
02-25-2002, 02:38 AM
syncro?

97teg
02-25-2002, 02:54 PM
yup, that would be my guess.

94tegRS
02-25-2002, 04:12 PM
om my car if you take it up past 5k in any gear and throw it into the next ger fast, it will ghrind, it is supposedly my clutch, the guy said if he replaced my clutch and it wasnt it and came out to be the trany like I thought hed put it in labor free. but mine does iyt through all gears. 1-2, 2-3, 3-4. not into 5ht cuz I neverb shift quickl at redline into 5th cuz id be going to too fast for around here.

but if it is for just one gear it could be a synchro. the only thing is, mechanoics have told me that if it is a synchro, it would always grind into gear no matter the RPMs, low or high it would.

superfuji57
02-25-2002, 09:12 PM
ok thanks for your help....so what would be the steps to fixing it?? and what about the cost? also, can it get any worse if i dont get it fixed soon? thanks again

97teg
02-26-2002, 09:17 AM
I'm no expert, but i'm pretty sure if it is the syncros, its time for a new transmission if you want it fixed. It can last a while before fixing it, but you will have to put up with the annoying crack or whatever it is doing. I would get it checked out first to find out what the problem is, whether it is the syncros or something else.

CivicEx95
02-26-2002, 04:20 PM
most likely isn't the clutch, its going to come down to something in the transmission. IMO, its better and cheaper in the long run just to replace than repair a tranny.

94tegRS
02-27-2002, 12:48 AM
well, for him it does sound like the tranny cuz it only does it into 1 gear, mine it ois into every gear so it seems like either it HAS to be the clutch or it is like the 1 in 9,999,999,999,999 chance that all syncros go out all at once. I at first thought maybe my slave cylinder was bad and leaked or somwthing so that when you shifted quick and pushed in the clutch really fast the slave cylinder would leak and let soem air in or somehting and it would not disengage completely but I bled the line completely and the slave cylinder never loses fluid so it cant be that. I am getting the clutch replaced and hopefully it will be fixed.

superfuji57
02-27-2002, 09:53 PM
hmmm....so how much am i looking to spend to get this fixed?

97teg
02-28-2002, 09:58 AM
i'm not sure exactly how much it is, but i do know it will be a helluva lotta money for a new tranny. My brother just had a new tranny put in his dodge and it costed him a little over $1000. I know it wont be the same for you since its a different car, but this is just to give you an idea of what you're looking at.

Add your comment to this topic!