Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

amp went out (amp prt. light on)

bBoYLXIX
11-15-2004, 07:06 PM
ok this is probably a dumb question. but how do i get the amp to work after the amp protection light comes on? my amp went out during a long drive and i check and sure enough, the amp protection light was on. so i figured it would go off and the amp would start working again after it kooled down. well it didnt. a few hours later its doing the same thing. and i cant get it to work again. ive looked in the manuals it came with but it doesnt say anything about it. the amp is an audiobahn A4401T with the 2 10" 600w box. please help if u can. thanks

sr20de4evr
11-15-2004, 07:09 PM
how long was it working before it stopped?

bBoYLXIX
11-15-2004, 07:27 PM
about 3 months with no problems.

sr20de4evr
11-15-2004, 08:01 PM
Hopefully your amp didn't take a crap, but it sounds like it did. See if you can open it up and look for any black or brown burn marks around the transistors. Also is there any chance you have a multimeter?

bBoYLXIX
11-15-2004, 08:08 PM
i do. ive done some basic circuitry b4 so i kinda know my way around electronics. im no expert about it, but i might be able to fix it if im told what i need to do. what am i gonna have to do if i see the burn marks around the transistors? could u try to lay out what i might encounter and how to fix it? if u could that would be awsome. thanx.

sr20de4evr
11-15-2004, 09:14 PM
Well if that's the problem, you'll need to find the model number for the transistor(s), order a replacement, and solder a replacement in. The problem is many times more stuff will blow that you don't know of, and without an intimate knowledge of how amplifiers work I doubt you (or I) could find all the problems. But, if you open it up and find a blown transistor, that's an immediate indication that the amp is the problem and it's not something in the install. The multimeter is to measure the resistance of your subs, to make sure you didn't accidently blow one. If you did, there would be a short, and your amp would go into protection to protect itself from being damaged.

Another way to test that is to remove the subs from the amp (just disconnect the speaker wire) and then power up the amp and see if it still goes into protection.

You should also measure the voltage at the amp, the power input and the remote input, to make sure both of those are up to par.

Haibane
11-15-2004, 09:51 PM
Why are there constantly being ads added. Think i am going to leave this forum eventually with all this crap.

sr20de4evr
11-15-2004, 10:03 PM
yeah this is getting horrible

bBoYLXIX
11-15-2004, 10:36 PM
damn it. audioahn is crap. that lasted 3 months! anyone know how much a repair on an amplifier would be?

tblake
11-15-2004, 10:54 PM
yeah, depends on who you go to, it usually costs me about 20 bux to repair them, give or take 10 bux. Best buy will usually charge 90 or more. I'd find someone who knows what they are doing, and have them do it, a friend maybe.

TFFantasy44
11-16-2004, 09:20 AM
damn it. audioahn is crap. that lasted 3 months!

He's seen the light! My audiobahn amp lasted 3 hours before it took a shit and I did nothing wrong, with gain at about a quarter way up

Mannyb18b
11-16-2004, 02:24 PM
Ya, hai might rem. when i was a newb to car audio and was asking if the 2 audiobahn 12's in bandpass box and power acoustik amp was a good setup. He sug. E.designs, but being the dumb newb i was i went with the setup. I have to say that I am pretty happy with it so far (except for replacing agu fuse 3 times already) but when they start shipping I will have a E.D 16OV.2 and Nine.1 in my trunk ported.

bBoYLXIX
11-16-2004, 08:49 PM
well i found the reciept, ill see how far that gets me for the one year warranty. probably not far i suppose. even if i do get it exchanged or fixed i think im gonna sell my whole setup for some kickers or something. anything but audiobahn. anyone have some good suggestions?

Add your comment to this topic!