Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

headlight probs, 2001 ram 1500

azeaglefan
11-15-2004, 05:34 PM
I have a 2001 Ram 1500, and sometimes while driving down the road my headlighs will go off. Sometimes after 2 minutes and sometimes after 2 hours. If I flash my high beams (which go on) then flash back I will recover my regular lights. My interior lights are never affected. Any suggestions?

fredjacksonsan
11-17-2004, 10:15 AM
I'd start with the headlight switch.

azeaglefan
11-17-2004, 11:40 AM
I thought of that but can't figure out why the high beams would effect it. Thanks

khaynes
12-21-2004, 03:51 PM
I have a 2001 Ram 1500, and sometimes while driving down the road my headlighs will go off. Sometimes after 2 minutes and sometimes after 2 hours. If I flash my high beams (which go on) then flash back I will recover my regular lights. My interior lights are never affected. Any suggestions?

I have had a similar occurrence with my 2001 Ram 2500. The first time
I was towing a trailer just going straight down the highway; the lights
came back on by themselves as I was pulling off the highway. The second time, it happened as I made a 90 degree turn. That time, they
came back on about 2/3 of a mile down the road when I flashed the high beams. The lights then responded perfectly. I haven't owned the
truck very long, so I don't know if this has happened before. Anyone
have any suggestions as to where to start to fix this? (It's a little
scary to lose your headlights with a trailer on a busy road.) Also,
for whatever it is worth, the first time it happened, I noticed that I
still had running lights on the trailer and I never have lost interior lights.

captaingalaxy
12-22-2004, 12:46 AM
I too have same exact problem with my 01' 1500 Ram. I think I have had this problem for a while, but just noticed it with certainty tonight. There have been times when driving where I thought It seemed darker than it should, but payed no real attention too it until I was in a really dark area facing a wall, turned light switch and nothing. Had all other lights including high beam, but no lows. Had to go to the store so I decided since it was close and my fog lights were bright I went. No lights all the way to the store. Left the store, lights came on then went off, came on again and stayed on. When I got home I spent a hour turning lights on and off no problem. I am stumped, if anybody finds a solution or suggestion it would be greatly appreciated.

captaingalaxy
12-22-2004, 03:06 PM
After doing some more research on the old interweb, I think I have solved my problem. In another thread someone listed that they found a wire harness up in the sterring column was too blame for their headlight problem. I went out turned headlights on, they came on. I then went and moved my sterring wheel and the lights went out. Once I returned the wheel to its original position they came back on. I am now going to tear into my sterring column and find the short. Hope this help others out there that have this issue.

Add your comment to this topic!