Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Fire under the Engine after swap

winstonwrenchhead
11-14-2004, 08:22 PM
Hello everyone. I was recommended to this forum by a friend of mine so thank you in advance for your help.

This weekend I did an engine swap in my CJ. I swapped in a rebuilt 4.2 block with a 95 4.0 head, borla headers mopar MPI and a york compressor for onboard air. The problem happened after I finished everything up and started it up for the first time. I drove it down the road for an hour and it backfired sputtered and died. everything was dark outside and I noticed an orange glow undernieth. The Oxygen sensor and Crank position sensor wire connectors caught fire and arked out. I rolled it back down the hill to the garage cut the burned up plugs off and tried to manually match up the wires and extend them to the fenderwell. Now I get no spark. I'm thinking that mabye when all of the wires went out in a blaze of glory that they may have shorted out the Computer...but everything else seems to work as far as I can tell. Is there any easy way to test the computer or the CPS? Any other suggestions would be appreciated

thanks.

JDPascal
11-14-2004, 09:18 PM
The O2 censors are probably powered by a circuit with a fusible link or if your lucky there is a fuse for that circuit. I don't have a wiring diagram for that old a vehicle - maybe someone else can find one for you.

JD

winstonwrenchhead
11-14-2004, 09:51 PM
I should have included that the engine electronics are based on the 95' wrangler for the MPI. I am going to take off the computer tonight and take it into the dealer tommorrow to have it tested. Thanks for your input

Add your comment to this topic!