Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Diesal fuel Error

Junie
02-24-2002, 08:55 PM
Help i need to know what would happen if a car got diesel fuel by mistake . my friend thinks he may have put diesel fuel in my car instead of regular what would happen to the car would it have any instant effects what should i do help needed!

texan
02-24-2002, 09:47 PM
It won't run at all. Diesel fuel needs a ton more compression to burn properly than gasoline, no spark based ignition system with gasoline levels of compression will cause any meaningful cylinder pressure to occur.

Junie
02-24-2002, 10:05 PM
So what your saying texan is that when he turned on the ignition after the fuel was pumped it would not have started . if so then that means he did put regular after all! if so then my car should start up tommorrow morning. Texan you just took a load off my back thank alot a was worried there. again thanks for responding!

CraigFL
02-25-2002, 07:29 AM
Now if he just put a little in(less than 10%), it may still run but with lots of smoke. You should also be able to smell the distinct paraffin odor. In the "old days" people used to mix diesel with gas every once and a while as a lubricant.

Too much in the tank and it won't run like Texan said. Time to drain the tank and flush the system...

TheMan5952
03-01-2002, 10:35 AM
not to mention the nozzle for the diesel is completly different the a regular unleaded nozzle.

Add your comment to this topic!