Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

This engine...

civici
11-14-2004, 10:06 AM
Okay...

http://www.81x.com/Authors/PORSCHER/skyline_engine.jpg

I know that this engine is a twin turbo, supercharged, engine. But correct me if I'm wrong cuz my friend says that this engine is a twin supercharged, single turbo, engine!! :confused:
I know exactly how superchargers and turbos work so I know that the supercharger is bound with the crank shaft so I'm quite sure it is what I think it is... please, three words would make a difference. Just say if it's a twin turbo, suprecharged, engine or not and I'll be thankful to ya'll.

I just want him to see with his own eyes this thread.

Thanks.

VQuick
11-14-2004, 04:02 PM
I'm pretty sure the engine only has one supercharger. That should be it under the turbos, with the pulley going to the engine. See how it connects to the intercooler, too?

thegladhatter
11-14-2004, 07:31 PM
Quick is correct.

my3rdskyline
11-15-2004, 04:28 AM
This picture has confused me since I first saw it. I know the airflow for the whole system minus the supercharger and the pipe connecting the supercharger to the piping on the hot side of the intercooler. Please explain this one to me?

I know we've all seen this picture around but.... my guess at first glance is that it's a photoshop job. just look at a few things here:

The blue rubber right off of both of the turbos. why the fuck is it bulging like that?

explain this piping to me??? I see on the right side of the intercooler that there are 2 pipes.... is the one on the bottom from/to the supercharger? too me it looks like the pipe from the supercharger just goes right into the pipe for the turbos.... maybe that's why i'm so fucking confused. or maybe it could be the fact I just got off of a 13 hour shift wearing a gas mask... i dunno. maybe. fuck it. I'm going to sleep. god i love the air force!

VQuick
11-15-2004, 09:22 AM
I know the airflow for the whole system minus the supercharger and the pipe connecting the supercharger to the piping on the hot side of the intercooler. Please explain this one to me?
Well, it looks like they want the compressed air from the supercharger to be intercooled, too. See how the pipes from the s/c and turbos merge, then go to the intercooler?

I know we've all seen this picture around but.... my guess at first glance is that it's a photoshop job. just look at a few things here:

The blue rubber right off of both of the turbos. why the fuck is it bulging like that?
Who knows. If I remember the story right, this is actually sort of a pipe dream engine. It wasn't actually used in anything. Look at how much space it take up! It was probably just to show that an RB could be twin charged.

too me it looks like the pipe from the supercharger just goes right into the pipe for the turbos....
Which goes into the intercooler...which goes into the intake manifold. So it works...in theory.

civici
11-15-2004, 05:15 PM
See... I knew it has two turbos and one supercharger. Superchargers have pulleys and it seems that this engine is was a concept engine but at least it has been done. I better get my friend to see this....

Circuit Theory
12-06-2004, 02:29 PM
twin charged engines are still somewhat mythical and hypothetical. There have been a few that run but no solid numbers have been produced that I am aware of. This engine is a non sequential twin turbo set up with a supercharger for low end boost. Twin charged engines are supposed to utilize the low end boosting capabilities of a supercharger as well as the higher boosting capabilities of a turbo. However this engine seems to be using small exhst turbines from what I would expect. Since the larger exhst turbine would allow the turbo to boost later (due to boost lag) and kick in hard with high boost. some people have toy'd with the idea of making the supercharger with a magnetic clutch which can be switched on and off manually or through an additional controller that would disengage the supercharger as the turbo's boost hits a certain level which would give a smooth power transition. Twin charged engines are a blast to talk about but a nightmare to wire and configure but I have seen one run although it was only on a mere toyota 4ag motor.

k3smostwanted
12-15-2004, 01:29 AM
Twin charged engines are a blast to talk about but a nightmare to wire and configure but I have seen one run although it was only on a mere toyota 4ag motor.

how about a daily driver, factory Twin Charged car...pure evil. a 900cc motor running in the 7's from 0-100km/h from the factory...now thats something to talk about!!!

HERE'S THE ARTICLE!!! (http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_2216/article.html)

Add your comment to this topic!