Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Aftermarket Remote start/keyless entry

Cat Fuzz
11-13-2004, 02:36 PM
Anyone ever use one of those self-install kits? I asked the guy at Best Buy what made his $200 set-up better than the do-it-yourself kind and all he could come up with is the warranty. I can easily install one myself, I'm just wondering if the cheaper kit is going to suck in some way.

megavolt121
11-14-2004, 02:02 AM
I wouldn't mess around with remote starts on my own. I can go to my local install shop and get a Ungo SR5000 intsalled for $400. There's just no point trying to figure out this crap on yoru own, and if they screw up, they fix it. Btw, does anyone know if there's a "second ignition" on the Isuzu's?

rodeo02
11-14-2004, 09:54 AM
I installed a "bulldog" remote start kit on my 1998 chevy K1500 a few years back. It took me a few tries to get it right & I wound up having to purchase and wire in an alarm bypass module to defeat the GM "passkey-II" system. It’s was kinda nerve wracking at first when (I didn't have it setup right) the truck would startup & die right away!! I did get it all working after about 3-4 dash disassembly sessions & I could probably do a chevy truck blind-folded now, but I'll never do one again, or even have an a/m one installed. You have to tear into too many critical wires for these units & most shops do a total hack job at them. It's not worth the risk for your daily driver in my opinion.
G/luck
Joel

ponchonutty
11-14-2004, 05:45 PM
Anyone ever use one of those self-install kits? I asked the guy at Best Buy what made his $200 set-up better than the do-it-yourself kind and all he could come up with is the warranty. I can easily install one myself, I'm just wondering if the cheaper kit is going to suck in some way.
I sell DEI equipment just like Best Buy. Unfortunately, the sales people they have are clueless. Surprisingly, he was right but didn't go any farther. DEI has come out with very nice DIY kits through the BOA and Rattler lines. Some still sell the Hornet out the door too. These units by design are the exact same as the high dollar Viper, Python, and others. The main difference is the fact they don't have lifetime warranty but they also don't have the longer range and optional creature comforts. Most of the higher end units have more outputs for things like rear defrost and such.
Now, you could buy one of the cheap kits and then get an extended range antenna(the antennas look the same but the Xhf+ have special filters for long range) and swap them out.

Usually though that $80 you saved by wasting a whole day sometimes doesn't seem worth it. :2cents:

Cat Fuzz
11-15-2004, 11:04 AM
Well, I'm pretty good at technical stuff, so the install doesn't worry me.

iskiuskiweski
11-15-2004, 12:50 PM
Maybe someone can help me. I have one of these systems already installed, I think. When I purchased my Rodeo I noticed a switch under the dash, but I don't know what it does. It is just a simple on/off toggle with light gauge wiring to it. I have not traced the wiring yet, just not enough time but it is obviously aftermarket equipment. Also I only have the original remote that I assume can from the factory with the Rodeo. There is also an antenna on the drivers side of the windshield, about six to eight inches long that runs along the pillar (factory or aftermarket?).

So if there is one of these systems installed, is it possible for it to use the standard factory remote?

Let me know what you think fella's.

megavolt121
11-15-2004, 05:05 PM
Maybe someone can help me. I have one of these systems already installed, I think. When I purchased my Rodeo I noticed a switch under the dash, but I don't know what it does. It is just a simple on/off toggle with light gauge wiring to it. I have not traced the wiring yet, just not enough time but it is obviously aftermarket equipment. Also I only have the original remote that I assume can from the factory with the Rodeo. There is also an antenna on the drivers side of the windshield, about six to eight inches long that runs along the pillar (factory or aftermarket?).

So if there is one of these systems installed, is it possible for it to use the standard factory remote?

Let me know what you think fella's.

That switch and that antenna are both aftermarket. Look underneath your dash and follow the wires from the switch to the brain unit of the alarm to figure out what type it is, and just buy that remote. Chances are they disconnected the factory system when they installed the aftermarket already though. OF course, you can always look @ the Isuzu FAQ's and try program a remote to the ar to see if it'll work, but Im gonna guess it wont. If you decide you dont want the alarm anymore, whatever you do, DONT' just start ripping every box, switch, relay, out. I did that on a Samurai and it stopped starting up until I figured out which wire I needed to reconnect after hours of hair pulling.

ponchonutty
11-15-2004, 06:36 PM
That switch and that antenna are both aftermarket. Look underneath your dash and follow the wires from the switch to the brain unit of the alarm to figure out what type it is, and just buy that remote. Chances are they disconnected the factory system when they installed the aftermarket already though. OF course, you can always look @ the Isuzu FAQ's and try program a remote to the ar to see if it'll work, but Im gonna guess it wont. If you decide you dont want the alarm anymore, whatever you do, DONT' just start ripping every box, switch, relay, out. I did that on a Samurai and it stopped starting up until I figured out which wire I needed to reconnect after hours of hair pulling.
It could also be like DEI's valet unit called the 561t. It works with OEM keyless where you press lock like 3 times then it will start. But, you saying you see a wire by the rearview mirror, I'd say it is one of those Audiovox, codealarm, or bulldog units.

iskiuskiweski
11-16-2004, 07:50 AM

I already have a Isuzu factory remote that came with the Rodeo, that works normally, locks/unlocks/panic. I will try what "ponchonutty" said and turn the switch on and press the lock button three times and see what happens(this is what I was looking for). What ever it is, I would assume that it works in conjunction with the factory system. But I will also take your advice and get under there and see where the wires go, I did see a small brain box strapped up there before, but I didn't look closely at it. The wire(antenna) I see is by the drivers side window pillar, it runs parallel to it along the windshield and is about six inches long, I wasn't sure if this was factory or not.

rodeo02
11-16-2004, 08:50 AM
Iski- If what you have under there is a remote start kit, you should see a relay module with heavier gage wires, attached somewhere to the smaller "black-box". This is what energizes the starter coil, and other aux accessories (windows,locks,etc).
G/luck
Joel

fctrent
11-17-2004, 05:06 PM
mine shorted out---had to remove it-
keep setting off its own alarm
then again im not a elect tech

megavolt121
11-17-2004, 07:56 PM
ISKI, i have a antenna like that on my Viper alarm.. those antennas definatly are aftermarket.

iskiuskiweski
11-18-2004, 01:41 PM
Update:
I followed the wire from the switch and it does go to a brain box that has a series of connectors that that appear to go to the ignition wiring. I have yet to unstrap the brain box and figure out what brand it is, I didn't have time to unstrap it and check yet. I will try and figure it out sometime this weekend. I will let you guys know what I find. BTW I tried the 3 times lock thing with the switch on and it did nothing.

Add your comment to this topic!