Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Blown Speaker?

superman0604
11-13-2004, 02:36 PM
I have a subwoofer that goes to my surround sound system for my home. ( I know this is car audio but anyways) It shows that the sub is getting a signal and the sub moves but it has no sound. Is it blown or is there something else wrong with it. Thanks for the help.

CBFryman
11-13-2004, 02:38 PM
WTF? the cone moves but there is no sound? thats impossible. unless you have the sub out of an enclosure where you are allowing for cancelation...a woofer will make a scratching nouse and will become very distorted and will often burn the coils when it begins to blow.

superman0604
11-13-2004, 02:42 PM
Its in an enclosure and it moves but there is no bass. The sub box has lights on the front that show the signal but it makes no sound.

sr20de4evr
11-13-2004, 02:54 PM
check the rca connections, you might have a loose connection or a partial short, which is sending a very very low frequency voltage. I've had it happen before

Mannyb18b
11-14-2004, 09:24 PM
On my audiobahn manual ( i know) it explains when wiring what happens if the woofers are moving and there are no sound that it is out of phase. ? i dunno, thats what it says

Mannyb18b
11-14-2004, 09:26 PM
I thought that when the woofer is moving but no sound is coming out from it, that it means you have to switch the polarity? i dunno, thats what i heard

sr20de4evr
11-14-2004, 09:29 PM
if you have 2 subwoofers and they are wired out of phase (one is normal, one is reverse) then yes they will be moving but you will have little to no output. If you only have 1 sub that's not the problem, because it can't be wired out of phase with itself (well if it's a dvc it can, but then the cone wouldn't move at all, if the cone is moving then that's not the problem).

superman0604
11-14-2004, 09:59 PM
I will check the cables and all the connections and let you know if it works. Thanks for all the help

Mannyb18b
11-14-2004, 10:37 PM
I thought that when the woofer is moving and there is no sound coming from it, that you have to reverse the polarity on the speaker? I dunno, thats what one of my manuals said

sr20de4evr
11-14-2004, 11:23 PM
like I said above, if you have 2 speakers and they're wired out of phase then yes that will happen. Basically what that means is that while one sub is pushing out, the other is pulling in, and the sound waves cancel each other out almost entirely. If you have only one sub that's not physically possible, you can't have one half of the sub moving out and the other half moving in to cause cancellation like that. If it's a dvc you can have the coils wired out of phase, but if you do that the cancellation is at the electromagnetic level, and the sub's cone never moves in the first place. If there is 1 sub and it's moving but you can't hear it, then 9 times out of 10 that means it's playing at a subsonic frequency. One of the main causes of this spontaneously happening is a kink or a short in the rcas.

Mannyb18b
11-15-2004, 12:10 PM
whoa, sorry about the 3 times thing. i was writing that on a computer thats was screwing up. my bad

Add your comment to this topic!