Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

89 S10 Muffler Exploded

PoopyBritches
11-12-2004, 09:16 PM
Been having a strange problem with it all summer. Typically what occurs is a sudden loss of power accompanied by a hissing sound. Letting off the gas a couple of seconds usually returns it to normal. Today, accellerating from stop light, sudden loss of power and BOOM like dynamite, muffler exploded.
Any ideas? I'm gonna tear into it tomarrow and see. Hard to troubleshoot since it occurs at random usually once every 10 to 40 miles travelled.

OverBoardProject
11-13-2004, 12:27 AM
Well I can only guess that the bushings in your distributer are worn out, causing the truck to go out of time. Or it could be the vacume advance, also part of the distributer

Good luck

JMorales
11-13-2004, 09:20 AM
I had the same problem with the loss of power and the hissing. It turned out to be a clogged catalytic converter causing the loss of power, and the hissing was from the exhaust trying to go somewhere else.
I had my whole exhaust replaced and you could not believe the performance now since it is able to exhale.

J

CW_racefan
11-13-2004, 01:43 PM
I think JMorales is probably right on. Catalytic converter is probably toast. Part of the guts of it were probably rattling around, occasionally plugging the exhaust, then finally your muffler just let loose.

BlazerLT
11-13-2004, 01:48 PM
Well I can only guess that the bushings in your distributer are worn out, causing the truck to go out of time. Or it could be the vacume advance, also part of the distributer

Good luck

He is talking about his exhaust.

Loss of power can be from a plugged muffler and/or cat convertor.

Seeing that it exploded, I think the muffler was indeed the cause of the performance loss.

If the engine can not breat it will kick itself out pretty quickly.

PoopyBritches
11-13-2004, 02:57 PM
I found a vacuum hose that was torn. Coil is loose, hmmm maybe bad ground or is it juz play inside the bracket... dunno yet, can't c it since its mounted in tight spot along side of engine. Engine is getting some missfire in it so I'm changing Dist cap/rotor, plugs and wires... its overdue. Going to Muffler shop Monday for muffler and convertor. Thanx 4 ideas. Let u know what happens.

OverBoardProject
11-17-2004, 09:13 PM
Well BlazerLt I guess that you've never seen an engine out of time enough where the gas builds up in the exhaust. I have, and it's often caused by a worn out set of bushings on the distributer.

Then it only takes 1 little spark in the muffler to cause an explosion which will blow the muffler out.

PoopyBritches
12-19-2004, 09:15 AM
Replaced Complete Distributor, wires, plugs, Catalytic converter and muffler. Set timing. So far ok, but haven't driven much.

NYGIANT_fan
12-19-2004, 12:55 PM
Can you tell me where the oil filter is on these 1989 s-10 blazers???

Thanks!
redskins_fan_2005@yahoo.com

Add your comment to this topic!