Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Parking Brake light is 'ON' Always

ponnusamy
11-12-2004, 01:37 PM
Hi, I have 1996 Camry. All of sudden one day, I noticed my parking brake is 'ON' always despite I tried to force the parking brake release. This happend some time ago for a while and went off, but now the problem persists.

I appriciate your help..
thanks
ponnu

don24mac
11-12-2004, 05:35 PM
Lowering of brake fluid will also cause the brake warning light to come on. Although this usually happens gradually and first occurs when you apply the brake pedal. As time goes on it stays on longer and longer. This is due to normal wear of the shoes causing the brake fluid level to fall.

If you've narrowed it down to your parking brake, first make sure nothing has fallen down the slot where the parking brake handle comes through (like donut residue :smile: which is what caused it in my car). If you can't find anything that's causing it, then remove the switch and test it. Replace if necessary.

ponnusamy
11-14-2004, 07:22 PM
Thanks don24mac, your information was really helpful, I checked the Brake fluid level and found it was just exactly at Minimum. So I added some more and checked again, now the light is off. Thanks for your help..

don24mac
11-14-2004, 08:51 PM
Glad you found the problem. You might want to check your brake pads for wear, too. The light coming on due to the fluid level getting low (as long as it's not caused by leaks) is a good sign that you've got 25% or less pad left on the front pads. Good time to remove the front wheels and check em. The rear shoes wear much more slowly.

Add your comment to this topic!