Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Door mechanics (messed up)

PashaDNN
11-11-2004, 11:38 PM
So this all happened today, it was about -2 degrees Celcius out, i got in my car, went to roll down my window, the gear turned but the glass didn't budge.

Then there was a cracking sound and I think everything pretty much fell to pieces. The motor for the window works, it goes, I can hear it, but I'm getting no response from the window.

Not only that, but now my door won't lock. Only the front driver-side door though, everything else is ok.

I'm contemplating opening up the door panel and looking at whats broken.. then just get the replacement part.

I figure if I bring it straight to the dealership, they'll charge me for a whole new door assembly, plus their labor fees.. :rolleyes:

Any ideas?

rwood13
11-12-2004, 08:24 AM
sounds like a good idea, sounds like something in the window track is frozen

marussell
11-12-2004, 11:49 AM
Pop it off, real easy to take a look and see whats wrong

PashaDNN
11-12-2004, 12:20 PM
popped it open about an hour ago, here's the deal;

the clips that hold the glass onto the track that makes the window go up/down is detached.

and if that wasn't bad enough the track bent the line that ties the inside door latch to the lock.. so now my door doesn't open from the inside.

i'm taking my sebring to the dealership and i guess they'll be fixing it.. again.. i would give it a shot myself, but i only found one hole into the inside of my door panel thats about half the size of a cd, i don't want anything else to mess up, so yeah...

Trock62
11-19-2004, 09:11 AM
If it's not too late, you should order the parts and fix it yourself, I did on my 2000 ragtop...dealers are just plain crooks...posted how under a different topic (Convertibles, I think)...the small white discs that hold the window onto the plate that rides up & down the track came off...I managed to get my big ol' paw in there and screw them back on, lube the tracks, window works perfectly now...but I understand your situation may be different...just trying to help...

Add your comment to this topic!