Rusty Axle Boot

IDoNotKnow
11-11-2004, 10:56 PM
I am considering purchasing a 1995 Volvo 850 Turbo. It is in great condition but the seller is telling me that there is some rust in the axle boot. Is this a very bad thing? Is it easily fixable or will the entire axle need to be replaced? Is it worth spending $5000 on the car? thanks in advance.

mitech
11-15-2004, 01:37 AM
If the boot is torn the axle should either be replaced or rebuilt probably about $250 to $350

turbo brick
11-21-2004, 08:45 PM
Well, rust on the axle boot doesn't mean the axle is damaged. Take into consideration that maybe the rust is comming from metal shavings or dust that is being produced around the axle somewhere. Have you ever seen a vehicle with one rusty wheel cover? that usually indicates that metal-to-metal contact is taking place usually between the caliper and rotor and is producing metal shavings that are rusting on the wheel cover. See where i'm going with this? If you have a chance, lift the suspected wheel off the ground and check it for turning resistance and noises.

I can't see how a CV joint would produce rust because its covered in grease and even if the boot was torn, the axle would not be damaged for a long long time as some of the grease would still be present within the torn boot. If the operator of the vehicle was so neglegent as to operate the vehicle with a torn boot for a very lenghty time period, eventually moisture would produce some rust, but that would have to be a very lenghty time period.

Add your comment to this topic!