Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Removing bed for fuel pump change

djlacavera
11-11-2004, 08:36 PM
Hi does any one have an exact procedure for removing the bed on a 97 Sierra, for purposes of changing fuel pump?
Anything hidden I should know?
How many bolts, and there location?
Wiring connector locations?
The more details the better!
Also any advise on where to get a good but economical pump for this vehicle, would be appreciated!!!
Thanks much, Nick

70camaro
11-13-2004, 01:10 PM
I am not familliar with the proceedure, but I am told there are 6 bolts, and one wire connector (probably near the cab). Sorry, that's all I know...

blabhern
11-21-2004, 07:56 AM
That's all it is, just make sure once all the bolts are out and you start moving the bed that you don't have any hidden wiring.

warren3537
11-24-2004, 12:18 PM
I had to replace the fuel pump and you have 8 bolts to remove, take out the tail lights, remove the tailgate, unclip the wiring harness from the back of the bed get two of your buddies and the three of you can lift the bed without taking off the rear bumper then you have an unrestricted access to replace the fuel pump.

bpnsd
12-13-2004, 05:44 PM
Are you serious.I think I might try to drop the fuel tank.

BULLITTR6
12-14-2004, 02:22 AM
Haven't done it myself, but was told dropping the tank isn't that hard. A pump from GMC cost me $150. Lifetime warrenty when dealer installed. Auto Zone and O'rielly's have them for $80 - $100.

Personally, I would drop the tank down before lifting the bed. Good luck.

Jeremy-WI
12-14-2004, 09:23 AM
I didn't have to remove the taillights to move the bed on my 96, just had to disconnect the harness near the rear bumper and I think I had to unbolt a ground wire, and remove the bolts to the gas filler neck

a2cntryboy
12-14-2004, 09:52 PM
I had to replace the fuel pump in my 1997 GMC is was real easy to drop the tank all you need is a good floorjack and an empty tank. :sunglasse

Sivart
12-16-2004, 11:12 AM
Much easier to drop the tank in my opinion. Not a hard job at all.

ironran
01-05-2005, 01:45 AM
what i did was disconnect the tank straps.drop the tank(it was empty)with a floor jack part ways down.Then i disconnected all lines and electrical plug to the pump.once the tank was on the ground, i slid it out from under the truck. I scraped the protective sealant stuff from the pump unit and then reversed the procedure.Be careful when attaching all lines, because if they are pinched or kinked alittle, then you will get a service engine light alarm.This would be a gas restriction.

GMMerlin
01-05-2005, 11:01 AM
it depends on what the situation is...most of the time I pull the tank from underneath, but I have found that I can pull the bed off and swap pumps just as fast.

Add your comment to this topic!