Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

HELP--'91 lesabre fuel filter rusted on!!

kevinnate
11-11-2004, 07:52 PM
My fuel filter is so rusted on it looks like the threads are welded to the filter. I already spray pentrating oil and still cann't get it loose and there is not much space under there to cut it off(brake lines in the way). Does anybody have any ideas?

11-11-2004, 11:52 PM
It would be a VERY bad idea to cut your fuel filter off, unless you know exactly what you're doing. You need special tools to flare the lines and replace the connectors... not to mention the fuel lines will be too short as a result.

First things first, make sure the connection is free of all possible dirt and grime. Clean the area nearest the threads with a wire brush if need be. (If it's covered in dirt, spraying penetrating solvent on them won't do much good.)

Spray penetrating solvent on the threads and leave it for 30 minutes. Go back, spray some more penetrating solvent on it, leave it be for 30 minutes. Repeat 3 more times. Then throw a little WD-40 on there.

Then make sure you have the right size wrenches for the fitting. Flare wrenches would be a really good idea here, so you don't screw up the connector fittings.

There should be a place to place a wrench both on the filter and on the connector (i.e. 1/2" apart). Grasp the wrenches tightly and bear down (while maintaining control). If it won't come, spray on some more penetrating solvent.

One thing you should not do; however, is heat the fittings in an attempt to loosen them. I had someone suggest that one time and I about knocked them upside the heat with a wrench.

Add your comment to this topic!