Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

which way to face subs

buh_buh
02-24-2002, 02:44 AM
Is it better to have your subs face the back of your seat? Or is it better to have them facing the rear of the trunk, or is it better to have them facing up? I've heard different things from different people, so I just want to hear it from you guys. I'm getting my subs put in tomorrow, so I just want to know which way I should face them.
btw my seats fold down if that makes any difference. thanks.

GSteg
02-24-2002, 02:58 AM
it would depend on the cars. what do you mean by better? better in Sound quality? better in loudness? just put the subs in and try different positions. some of the position we recommend might not be what your ears would want. but if you have to ask...i have my sub facing up.:)

buh_buh
02-24-2002, 02:59 AM
I am more into sound quality than a booming bass.
I want a clean thump.

praxis
02-24-2002, 02:22 PM
You get the best clarity if the sub is pushed back against the seat and facing the trunk lid. Just make sure that you buy some dynamat. There is nothing worse than thinking that your stereo sounds so good...and then find out, for the past four months it has been nothing but rattle rattle, to people outside of your vehicle. Embarrassing.

Swonder67
02-24-2002, 04:42 PM
I had mine facing both ways at some point or another, facing the trunk, I got fuller, cleaner bass. Facing the seat, I got quick bumps (good for club music).

The trunk rattled more when the sub was faced back also.

dreemkill
02-24-2002, 07:21 PM
mine are facing up......then again, i dont have a choice in the matter..cause if i had em facing the hatch, well, i'd have a wall of subs that i cant see through ;)

LjasonL
02-25-2002, 01:54 AM
mine is up, only because my speaker box is mostly in the spare tire well... i would prefer facing toward the back.

twizzaut
02-25-2002, 01:37 PM
ive had mine facing both ways and i found that having them facing the trunk sound way better than the other way

Wagon4wdRTI
03-03-2002, 02:24 PM
Depending on what type of box you got dancing in the back ,
I had A 2-12" Band Pass Box ,Speakers facing the Back of the car
MADD BASS Shit that ill make your ears Tickle.
I found that facing them up made no major difference
Facing them front I lost The Deep bass ,
I dont know which will work best with your application
but Try different Positions. Try a different Box Too
Boxes And speakers Have to match to sound The way its supposed to
Band Pass Boxes Are the most Efficiant @ producing Bass
Only thing is You need Space to fit them in the car

twizzaut
03-05-2002, 12:44 PM
ive found that a sealed box sounds way better

my86lxi
03-08-2002, 07:32 PM
mine sounds best faceing the back and all the way back, but im buoght to get a truck next weekend, (mazda) but im not sure what im gonna do box wise?

sparq
03-08-2002, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Wagon4wdRTI
Band Pass Boxes Are the most Efficiant @ producing Bass
I dunno about that one, a large ported box would beat a bandpass box any day of the week - bandpass also offers the crappiest sound quality out of a box and unless you never plan on opening your truck to show your friends your woofers I would say stay away from bandpass.

The problem with Bandpass is because of the crappy SQ it produces, distortion is nearly impossible to detect which can lead to you overpowering your subwoofers and causing premature failure...

swedish
03-08-2002, 08:13 PM
my best advice (not that that means its good) is that unless you have quite supiror 6x9's (i.e, good surround and high wattage handling), then DO NOT face your subs up if you plan to hit hard, the pressure levels can really screw your other speakers. the only 6x9's that i've seen able to handle this (in my car), are a pair of 300w 4way pioneers. but other than that, try front and rear, and pick up some dynamat

1995HondaCivic
03-10-2002, 12:35 AM
in my old car i had my two 12"s facing the trunk because the seats absorb the bass if they face toward the seats, which wouldnt sound as good

masperez
03-10-2002, 12:58 PM
THere are these new speaker boxes that have 3 subs in one box two facing towards the trunk lid and one facing towards the seat I thought it was kind of need cause of decisions you make like the one you are trying to make.......

YOu say you want quality well the best quality is facing towards the trunk lid if you face it towards your seats it sounds like a someones trying to force the sound not to come out I don't even know what retard thought of that idea if your running a 1000 watt amp competition style then I would see a possiblity for having your speakers face towards the seats but if your just a music lover who loves bass with an amp face it towards the trunk lid one hundred percent sure ....................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

Even if your car rattles people will be like WHOA

If you can't afford people doing dynamit on your car just buy some foam from home depot i don't know how you spell it open all the covering inside the trunk and start filling it in ...... thats the cheap solution works great!
:eek:

89ssgti
03-10-2002, 09:22 PM
I tried it facing the trunk,the side of the car and to thefront,and I finally put it to face up,it all depends on your taste and the dynamic of the vehicule:)

LjasonL
03-11-2002, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by masperez
Even if your car rattles people will be like WHOA

ahem, allow me to finish that statement for u... even if your car rattles people will be like "WHOA, that sounds like CRAP!" :p

twizzaut
03-11-2002, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by ldelaysionl

ahem, allow me to finish that statement for u... even if your car rattles people will be like "WHOA, that sounds like CRAP!" :p

lol!! and when you are driving down the rode the people you pass will hear a rattling trunk

masperez
03-11-2002, 04:03 PM
You don't buy the sound system to impress people outside hopefully you buy it for good sound quality inside and your listening enjoyment!

I wouldn't give people wouldn't give people outside a free preview!

kicker1_solo
03-11-2002, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by masperez
You don't buy the sound system to impress people outside hopefully you buy it for good sound quality inside and your listening enjoyment!

I wouldn't give people wouldn't give people outside a free preview! I give the people on the other side of town a free preview. ;)

twizzaut
03-13-2002, 01:36 PM
then u will wake up 1 morning and have a free preview of your window broke and your stereo stolen

masperez
03-13-2002, 05:47 PM
exactly what happen to me no more free previews when i get one mile from my house i turn my system off!

mAtC
03-14-2002, 09:37 PM
Maybe this will prove informative to you: http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/magic/index.html

hexaine
07-13-2003, 11:02 PM
:lol: @ free previews

Bow down to my 100-watt Bazooka EL! Actually, I think I ruined it cuz I didn't listen for distortion enough.

Anyway, when I had it facing the back seat (1988 Prelude), it seemed to be a bit more on the most bottom end. Opening the trunk would totally kill the nice, low bass though... and that's what I'm after. Currently I have it suspended just past the lid under the other cabin speakers and it seems to be OK.

BullShifter
07-14-2003, 12:55 AM
Bandpass has the worst sound quality compared to sealed or ported. Sealed is by far the best sounding when done correctly.

Depending on your set-up, just move it around to find the best sound. Ive found that facing the subs up or towards the rear sounds best.

Audiobahn45
07-14-2003, 06:55 PM
In my s-10 I used to have, I had 2 12's facing each other (east,west) right behind the seat.

Add your comment to this topic!