Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

WRX or RSX type S ???

Pages : [1] 2

Dan GSR
02-24-2002, 01:40 AM
WRX or RSX type S ???
Need a new car...what do you guys think.

LjasonL
02-25-2002, 01:12 AM
well if your talking performance wise, wrx no doubt, rsx cant touch it.

as for looks, thats all in your opinion, but i think the rsx is really ugly, like a cartoon characature of an integra.

btw did u know rsx doesnt have a rev limiter? better not miss 4th gear and hit 2nd, or miss 5th and hit 3rd, or something similar... guy i know threw a rod through his block like that and ive heard its a fairly common problem, well as common as any rod-through-block problem.

MOG_22
02-28-2002, 05:59 PM
No doubt, go with the WRX. Best value in it's class. fastest in it's class as well as some in classes above it. Comes standard with a lot of equipment that is otherwise optional on other cars. Standard AWD, works really well in snow and in the rain. Good kick for a 4 cylinder and the grand finale of them all...............you can burn a bunch of ricers on the street.

Polygon
03-12-2002, 02:07 AM
The WRX is the better performer, but personally I think the RSX is much better looking.

NB8CT
03-16-2002, 04:57 PM
ummmmm. its a hard one but........WRX..COME ON NOW!!!

nittanys1
04-09-2002, 02:27 PM
I would say WRX would be the one to go with, but don't you think that this poll is a little bias, because its in the subaru thread. you might want to post this poll or another in a different thread and then you'll really have a somewhat balanced opinion.

crazy_canuck
04-12-2002, 06:02 PM
RSX !
For the same price you can get a HKS or GReddy turbo Kit and murder the WRX.
It also looks better, more mods and you can mod it so much that it could be Street ILLEGAL!:badass:

The WRX kicks ass but if ya got da moolah you can slay 'em!

LjasonL
04-13-2002, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by crazy_canuck
RSX !
For the same price you can get a HKS or GReddy turbo Kit and murder the WRX.
It also looks better, more mods and you can mod it so much that it could be Street ILLEGAL!:badass:

The WRX kicks ass but if ya got da moolah you can slay 'em!

for the same price??? heres a little info for ya

RSX MSRP: 23,650
WRX MSRP: 23,995

i guess youre gonna get a turbo kit for $345?

looks is an opinion, i dont think the wrx looks great, but the rsx is ass ugly to me. that just depends on who u ask.

more mods? the subaru ej20 has been around for a number of years, $1000 will have u at 300+hp easily. the honda k20c is new, and the aftermarket is just developing, $1000 will barely gain u 20 hp. plus with the rsx's high compression, a turbo kit may not be such a good idea unless u fully build the block up, which means $$$. wrx on the other hand, 8.0:1, plenty of room to play.

MOG_22
04-14-2002, 02:26 PM
What extra moolah. Both cars are about the same price with maybe a difference of a couple hundred bucks. For the price of your turbo kit, I could get a chip and exhaust and you can say hello to my taillights.

MOG_22
04-15-2002, 05:40 PM
I could get myself some new tires too for some extra grip and you can sit there and cry as I wind the twisty road and you're falling behind.

GTRsi
04-18-2002, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by ldelaysionl
btw did u know rsx doesnt have a rev limiter? better not miss 4th gear and hit 2nd, or miss 5th and hit 3rd, or something similar... [/B]

yes it does, the rev limiter is a fuel cutoff device, if some tool cant shift and puts it into second there is no stoping the engine RPM. you can do the same thing if you take ur wrx and do about 100 on the highwany and shift into second.

Super Spec V
04-30-2002, 09:23 AM
Eventhough my name is spec v it might change if the dealership where i orderd my car does'nt smarten up!

anyways if they dont find me a car in the next week then im going to get a T REX (WRX).

Moving along with my story. on the weekend i went to look at some wrx's and stopped by the dealership where my freind works, so we took out a wrx for a spin and came back shortly. on my way home i passed by the acura dealership to have a look at the rsx type s. the salesman was giving his usual lecture, and then he said it..... did you know that the type s integra is faster than the subaru wrx. DUDE i started laughing my ass off. i told him that if i can take the car for a test drive and meet at a set of lights (where my freind from the SUBI dealership would be waiting for me) and this type s beats a wrx i will buy the car from you right after, i even told him that i would leave a deposit.

his eyes popped out of his head and he started studdering.

There is now way in hell that a rsx type s will even come close to a T REX, so if your wondering about performance the wrx will pretty much smoke anything in its class.

GTRsi
04-30-2002, 09:29 AM
even a WRX wagon is nearly a second faster in the 1/4

MOG_22
04-30-2002, 12:21 PM
I agree. The rsx-s is a nice car, but no way can it beat the wrx in speed or handling. Sure it has a good amount of HP (200?) but there's no torque. The WRX has 227HP and about 220lbs of torque. It's typical honda/acura talk to talk shit about other cars to sell theirs. I mean when my friend was looking at cars and went to the honda dealer, they walked out saying they were going to the toyota dealership to get a corolla, because the honda salesman was being a bitch, the dealer was talking all kinds of shit. True the corolla is an econobox, but even the new corolla has more power than the new civics.

Impreza555
05-12-2002, 02:13 AM
Whats scary is that the WRX isn't even the top of the line model (STi anyone?). Talking about putting a turbo kit on a RSX to beat a WRX??? umm. What do you think would happen if you spent the same amount of money in mods on both cars?? The WRX would come out on top. Hell just new piping on the things adds close to 25HP. Bout time the US actually got the WRX, just wish we got it in the old bodystyle.

NetWRX
05-27-2002, 08:57 AM
I'll let my sig and ava tell you my opinion eh

http://www.bsbrigade.com/forums/attachment.phps=375de69526b38decf32488e7ccc1

http://www.bsbrigade.com/forums/avatar.php?userid=1629&dateline=1021143876
<h1>WRX</h1>

DVSNCYNIKL
06-11-2002, 09:33 AM
WRX.

Ando_Rules
06-30-2002, 08:53 AM
RSX is nice but WRX all the way man

rex4ev
07-06-2002, 12:54 AM
the rsx doesnt even come close to the performance of the wrx. it only costs the same. if you want performance go with the rex, if you want to look like a spoiled kid go for the rsx.

Subaru2002
07-26-2002, 10:51 AM
Sad thing is... an old ( i mean old) 1990 Subaru Legacy only front -wheel drive and about hum? 150 hp. blew a RSX . It was a sad moment in time when the snot pulled up beside me at the red light, reved the engine, and attempted to blow me away. HA!!! Now just to fill you in on the info. I bought the car from an old lady about a year ago w/ 25,000 miles on it. Put an intake and exaust on it and still I'm hurting every honda and acura that oulls up beside me. Back to the story... I figured he wasn't giving it his all b/c he didn't know what he was up against. When I hit the highway he followed ands got hurt again!!!

LjasonL
07-26-2002, 01:33 PM
what motor was in the legacy? thats funny!

Subaru2002
07-29-2002, 09:03 AM
It's a fully factory motor. A 2.2 Litre I do belive. There's a big diffrence between a Subaru motor and any other motors out there. For one thing it's (as i explain it) A V-4. Every car I have driven sucked compared to a Suby.

SClass
08-23-2002, 11:50 PM
The fours in Subies are flat fours or boxers, not V's.

The last thing anyone should do is tout and spout about their car but then make such big errors regarding the technical facts about it.

Just a short time on this board tonite and I just learned from some wise guys that my 1995 Eclipse GSX had a twin turbo I4! NOT!!

Geez...

beaker
08-29-2002, 01:02 AM
So I've been thinking of getting a WRX fer a little while now...and for the hell of it I test drove the RSX last weekend. For starters, I think the interior is nicer and made of better material. But a significant trade off is the limited rear seat room. Exterior wise I think the RSX makes for a slightly better looking car off the showroom floor as compared to the WRX...but I've been trolling some of the picts in this forum and have seen how good looking the WRX can be with some aftermarket items added...so this is about a wash. Now down to the performance. When we left the lot the sales guy was bragging about the RSX's performance (type S of course). And as he's explaining this to me he winding it out through first, second, and third as we're going down a side street. Now here's where my mind was immediately made up that the RSX wasn't for me. He took it to redline in third (8k) and as soon as we tached 7k...the whole front end of the car (dash, seats, everything) suddenly went into this massive buzz!!!! The vibration from 7k to 8k seemed unbearable...let alone the noise. Now just to set the playing field, I'm a huge car guy and have always lived with compomises for the sake of performance (stiff suspension, loud exhaust, etc.), but this insane amount of noise and vibration was a bit too much for me...especially when I know that I'd be taching it all the time. That was the other difficult thing to do, for when I drove it...it was hard to get yourself to keep from shifting at say 6.5k or so. On a good note though, if you keep it at 6.5k, it simply flies and handles very good in my opinion (for a car off the lot w/out aftermarket springs/shocks). I hit a sweeping on-ramp for a quick jaunt on the freeway and was doing 100 by the time I merged onto the freeway. Perhaps not the smartest but hey, I figured I'd flog it while I could. That said, I'm going back this weekend to test drive the scooby and go from there.

TR

Super Spec V
08-29-2002, 10:20 AM
Once you test drive a scooby...you'll nver turn to anything else.

Oh and it will smoke an RSX Type s.

PEACE

longlivetheZ
09-24-2002, 12:59 AM
Ok...from the start....I like BOTH cars....just sayin what I'm thinkin as I read this stuff....

Alright.....off the line, a wrx would smack around 'bout anything....including the rsx....we know that...due largely to AWD and low gearing. But what about top speed? I can't imagine the wrx being too hot in the "on-the-freeway-mash-it-to-the-floor" category since it is geared low for more 0-60 balls. I heard they 'bout fall on their face above 110. I'd like to know the top speed of both of these cars...I'm not sure of either.

Looks....in my book, forget it...rsx, baby. Say what you will. The wrx looks more like a family car then a down to business sports car. (Not saying it's NOT down to business or anything, so don't jump my damned case...) The rsx looks wicked. OEM Body kit and some lowering springs....even leave the stock rims and it looks so good. I personally don't care for the way the wrx looks.

Traction....*I* think sports cars are most fun when they're RWD. I know you can launch better with AWD but it's so fun to oversteer with RWD...I don't think it's even POSSIBLE to do that with AWD. FWD is just no fun at all....can't even do doughnuts. So, they both lose points in that category in my book.

I do really like both cars and I'd love to drive them. My final verdict....GET A Z32TT....pick a nice 5speed up for 15G and spend the rest that you would have on either of the above on aftermarket stuff. Then they can BOTH wave bye bye.

rsx type j
10-02-2002, 05:43 PM
WRX SUX! I happen to own a rsx type s, stock, and sure a wrx will beat it in the 1/4 and off the line. But if any of you think you got it on the highway bring it, and like the wrx With INTAKE AND EXHAUST that I raced on the highway with my STOCK type s, You will lose, not by much, I admit it was close, but you will lose PERIOD. Besides whoever said the RSX is ugly must be blind, IT IS WAAAAY better looking than the WRX, and for less cost, You get leathers, sunroof, nicer rims, and more girls looking at you, people who brag about their wrx...Come see me on the Highway, especially in a few months when the turbo is in, JUST BE REASONABLE, YOU ARE COMPARING A subaru to an ACURA.......case closed

rsx type j
10-02-2002, 05:43 PM
WRX SUX! I happen to own a rsx type s, stock, and sure a wrx will beat it in the 1/4 and off the line. But if any of you think you got it on the highway bring it, and like the wrx With INTAKE AND EXHAUST that I raced on the highway with my STOCK type s, You will lose, not by much, I admit it was close, but you will lose PERIOD. Besides whoever said the RSX is ugly must be blind, IT IS WAAAAY better looking than the WRX, and for less cost, You get leathers, sunroof, nicer rims, and more girls looking at you, people who brag about their wrx...Come see me on the Highway, especially in a few months when the turbo is in, JUST BE REASONABLE, YOU ARE COMPARING A subaru to an ACURA.......case closed:finger

LjasonL
10-08-2002, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by rsx type j
WRX SUX! I happen to own a rsx type s, stock, and sure a wrx will beat it in the 1/4 and off the line. But if any of you think you got it on the highway bring it, and like the wrx With INTAKE AND EXHAUST that I raced on the highway with my STOCK type s, You will lose, not by much, I admit it was close, but you will lose PERIOD. Besides whoever said the RSX is ugly must be blind, IT IS WAAAAY better looking than the WRX, and for less cost, You get leathers, sunroof, nicer rims, and more girls looking at you, people who brag about their wrx...Come see me on the Highway, especially in a few months when the turbo is in, JUST BE REASONABLE, YOU ARE COMPARING A subaru to an ACURA.......case closed:finger

you say "come see me on the highway", youre scared to race one at low speeds? or is it cuz you KNOW it will whoop your ass at low speeds? and put a $100 boost controller on a wrx, and it will waste you on the highway too. hell if you lived close to me, id race you on the highway, and my car isnt even a wrx. guess what-youd lose, and i still have less in my car than an rsx type s costs stock.

and yeah the rsx is ugly, neither the wrx or rsx are gonna win a beauty contest stock, but the wrx still looks a lot better. leather seats suck ass, although i do admit i wouldnt mind a sunroof. "more girls looking at you"? please, maybe you should tell that to the girls who always wave, compliment, and flash me in my car. and since ive got a wagon, ive got room to carry 'em (among other things ;) ) when theyre done looking.

yes, were comparing a subaru to an acura, if you think having an acura is any better than a subaru, your dumb. most people think of an acura as a cheap ass econo car, just as they think of a subaru.

oh yeah, you talk about us all being morons, but you talk about turboing youre high compression high rpm 4 cylinder. yeah thats smart. okay after youve spent the $8000-$10000 its gonna take to push a respectable 10 psi, go find a wrx with only $3000 in it, it will still waste you, yes even on the highway. low compression + a factory turbo motor = cheap easy power.

Tsui
10-30-2002, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by rsx type j

1. Leathers are not race-friendly, especially in the twisties. You slide around unless you want smack in some 5 points. A "safety" hazard.

2. Adding to what Idelaysionl said. By the time you "turbo-it", we'll be able to stick in VF34s and a FMIC by that price range you spent on "turbo-ing" that 11:1 compared to the 8.0:1 on the WRX.

3. Any fool can take it on the highway or paved road, let see you take it on the gravel, dirt, and some twisties. Yes anyone can go fast in a straight line.

4. i-VTEC kicks in around 6000 rpm, redline on RSX is 7900, its peak 200 HP is @ 7400 rpm. It is not really practical to drive you car winding out every gear all the time, keeping the RPMs up there. Where the WRX turbo shanks in at around 3000.

5. Torque: You can't live without it.

6. Street racing is just plain dumb. If you want to endanger lives of innocent bystanders or motorists, start by jumping off a cliff.

(cool down)

And to the person who started this thread, try getting answers from some RSX forum, as most of the answers here can be somewhat biased (even myself :D).

Eh, need to vent, sorry :sun:

-T

ServingUpSumRice
10-31-2002, 02:48 AM
heh..ur a JOKE. WRX rules over RSX type-S. ask any1 that know more bout WRX and RSX type-s then u do. if u spend the same amount on a RSX and WRX, the WRX will come on top still. not many cars fresh off the lot can come close to the performance that u get from the WRX. i've driven in 1 and man o man itz nice. wit the AWD..GOD! itz like sleepin on a bed of feathers. the RSX*fwd* is nothing but if u have money its sumthin*same wit WRX*. the power u get from WRX, u cant find in most cars.

WRX:
1/4 mile 14.4sec
Horsepower 227 @ 6000 rpm
Torque (lb.-ft.) 217 @ 4000 rpm

RSX:
1/4 mile 15.2sec
horsepower 200 hp @ 7400 rpm
torque 142 lb.-ft. @ 6,000 rpm.

one word *WOW* big difference huh?

who the hell cares bout leather seats, how many gurls u get*matter bout ur game*. if ur basing ur car on looks then ur just DUMB! body kits, blue head lights, dirty ass wing*ur not going fast enough to get down-force from it*, muffler tip, stickers from APC*American Piece of Crap*, rims, sunroof*more weight anyways* etc......all that is not going to make ur car fast*ur car most be running on hopes and dreams then*.

if i was u i would go for WRX all da way no joke.

im lookin for a 94 Toyota MR2, im going to get me a 3rd gen 3Sgte*245hp STOCK!*. i bet the US MR2 turbo can beat the RSX Type-S.

well hey itz ur money do wat u want wit it. latez

antidote11
11-12-2002, 04:05 PM
Get the RSX....it's an Acura/Honda. A WRX is a Suburu, owned by Chevrolet for Gods Sake. WRXs are fast and AWD, but that's ALL they have. They have cheapy cheapy interiors, they are a little on the ugly side. They also have glass transmissions and I have heard numerous people complain about the shifter and the brakes, about how they suck. And this is more my type of reasoning. It has a turbo, with 227 HP :rolleyes: That's lame !! Put a turbo on any other car and you have some true power. Do you think a WRX is faster than a turbo Eclipse, or a turbo Civic Si........Hell NO !!

Get the Honda, it will last longer, they look better and they are reliable.
Or go get the Chevy WRX, it's your choice.

hybridsol
11-12-2002, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by nittanys1
I would say WRX would be the one to go with, but don't you think that this poll is a little bias, because its in the subaru thread. you might want to post this poll or another in a different thread and then you'll really have a somewhat balanced opinion.
once again biased is exactly right)..... post the poll in something non biased.
...you posted in a impreza forum either youve already made up your mind, or you need to repost in a general discussion board of some type. But I say WRX as well for performance although I have never owned a subaru, I have heard nothing but good things. But I ahve to say I like the styling of the type S a bit more than the subaru.

hybridsol
11-12-2002, 04:13 PM
antidote11 I love the sig man, I just about shit a brick geeking over that. ROTFLMAO :D

antidote11
11-13-2002, 09:00 AM
:D Thanks for the Sig compliment dude !!

But yeh, the WRX does have the performance over the RSX. I guess I am just so partial to Hondas. I have never owned a Suburu, so I guess I can't really say anything bad about them based on personal experience. They can be made to look really good though, and the RSX is a little tall, but suspension can fix that. :D But still the turbo thing gets me. Correct me if I;'m wrong, but aren't the WRXs pushing 14psi ?? Could me way off, so don't flame. But if that's the case, there are some Turbo RSXs out there pushing 11psi and gettting 280 - 300 HP at the wheels. Whewww---weeeeee.

hybridsol
11-13-2002, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by antidote11

But yeh, the WRX does have the performance over the RSX. I guess I am just so partial to Hondas. I have never owned a Suburu, so I guess I can't really say anything bad about them based on personal experience. They can be made to look really good though, and the RSX is a little tall, but suspension can fix that. :D But still the turbo thing gets me. Correct me if I;'m wrong, but aren't the WRXs pushing 14psi ?? Could me way off, so don't flame. But if that's the case, there are some Turbo RSXs out there pushing 11psi and gettting 280 - 300 HP at the wheels. Whewww---weeeeee.
actually In stock form the turbo through 1st and 2nd gear run at 9 psi above 3K rpm. The rest of the gears run at around 14.7 psi, but tapper as you go to redline to protect the engine. so an aftermarket turbo on an rsx produceing the same psi consistant/eratic would surpass its hp due to the gain of the motor. But money wise in this case it would be cheaper to buy a wrx. The rsx on the other hand with a turbo kit would be considerably more. But I see your point, on the other hand upgrading the wrx turbo could prove to turn things in its favor.

LjasonL
11-14-2002, 01:09 AM

see, youre thinking along the lines of "turbo = power", youre not thinking about all the other factors involved. id like to see you put an 11 psi turbo kit on an otherwise stock rsx, can you say "kaboom"? okay say youve done all the work you need to get an rsx to hold 11psi, now youre making 300hp at the wheels... for $8000 in mods. throw $2k in the wrx, and its also at 300hp. there is just so little potential for the rsx unless you spend big bucks, its too strung out from the factory, like most hondas. a $50 boost controller on a wrx will have you running 13's reliably with a full factory warranty.

Get the RSX....it's an Acura/Honda. A WRX is a Suburu

i dont understand what youre getting at here. subaru = econobox. honda/acura = econobox. how is either one any better? if anything, the subaru has a better "reputation", if you buy a honda, youre automatically catagorized with all the ricers out there.

hybridsol
11-14-2002, 03:20 AM
see, youre thinking along the lines of "turbo = power", youre not thinking about all the other factors involved. id like to see you put an 11 psi turbo kit on an otherwise stock rsx, can you say "kaboom"? okay say youve done all the work you need to get an rsx to hold 11psi, now youre making 300hp at the wheels... for $8000 in mods. throw $2k in the wrx, and its also at 300hp. there is just so little potential for the rsx unless you spend big bucks, its too strung out from the factory, like most hondas. a $50 boost controller on a wrx will have you running 13's reliably with a full factory warranty.
11.0 : 1 is the compression ratio for a stock Type S, the pistons are made for high PSI and can without a doubt withstand 11 psi from an aftermarket turbo, also $8,000 is a bit much....... due to the cam lobe ratio and the new k20c modifications, I have to disagree and say that the rsx has lots of potential, but for the money the wrx stock is the best "bang for the buck". the wrx's compression stock is 8.0:1 with a displacement of 1994, rsx is 11.0:1 with displacement of 1998. The fact that it comes stock with a turbo at about the same price is the deciding factor for me.

antidote11
11-14-2002, 09:15 AM
I was going to say that as well. The K20A in these RSX Type S's are very bad ass engines. They can handle boost, maybe nothing insane, but they can handle boost in stock form very well. And you can get a good turbo setup, including intercooler for the Type S for about 4 grand.
And maybe another grand give or take for the final touches and tweaking. So you could trubo a RSX for about 5 grand and it will be one fast son of a bitch. :D

And the WRXs are nice as well. To say that they are better built or even close to that quality of the Honda, may be strecthing it a little bit. Probably one of the main reasons why I wouldn't buy the WRX is because it is a Sedan. I am too partial to my little coupes : )

And just because I am curious, how much does the WRXs weigh ??

hybridsol
11-14-2002, 01:19 PM
I was going to say that as well. The K20A in these RSX Type S's are very bad ass engines. They can handle boost, maybe nothing insane, but they can handle boost in stock form very well. And you can get a good turbo setup, including intercooler for the Type S for about 4 grand.
And maybe another grand give or take for the final touches and tweaking. So you could trubo a RSX for about 5 grand and it will be one fast son of a bitch. :D

And the WRXs are nice as well. To say that they are better built or even close to that quality of the Honda, may be strecthing it a little bit. Probably one of the main reasons why I wouldn't buy the WRX is because it is a Sedan. I am too partial to my little coupes : )

And just because I am curious, how much does the WRXs weigh ??
Curb Weight with a Manual Transmission is 3085lbs, with automatic transmission its 3140lbs (the wagon lbs is more) whats really tight about the automatic is its system of traction response or Variable Torque Distribution (VTD). VTD utilizes a planetary center differential in conjunction with an electronically managed continuously variable transfer clutch, hence forth better trac. sytem. also all WRX models have a viscous limited-slip rear differential stock. (also the K20A is a base model rsx motor in the US and a type R teg in Jap.) - Honda engine codes are confusing as hell. (oh yea here's rsx Base Curb Weight 2694lbs on k20a in us and on a k20c type S Curb Weight is 2767lbs)

antidote11
11-14-2002, 01:46 PM
The RSX Type S has the K20A2. I was just abbreviating. :D

hybridsol
11-14-2002, 03:24 PM
The RSX Type S has the K20A2. I was just abbreviating. :D
I have seen K20A2 however the K20C is a type s rsx, I know this b/c Ive torn one apart and, the engine code on the block is a K20A. The type S we dropped in my friends 02 civic was a k20C. (they may have stamped different models differently)

antidote11
11-14-2002, 04:07 PM
No, the RSX Type S engine code is a K20A2, I know that to be a fact.

Fishcat37
11-14-2002, 04:19 PM
I'm with hybridsol on this one. The USDM K20A is the base model RSX motor (160hp). The USDM K20C is the RSX Type-S motor (200hp)Here is an excellent article that talks about this very thing. (http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/roadtests/0107scc_acura/) If you were too lazy to click on the link and read everything, here is a quote from it:
"2002 ACURA RSX TYPE S
Estimated Price : TBA: Approx. $20,000-$25,000

Engine
Engine Code : K20C

Type : In-line four
aluminum block and head

Valvetrain : DOHC, four valves per cylinder, per cylinder, i-VTEC variable valve timing

Displacement : 1998cc

Bore & Stroke : 86.0mm x 86.0mm

Compression Ratio : 11.0:1

Horsepower : 200 hp @ 7400 rpm

Torque : 142 lb-ft @ 6000 rpm

Redline : 7900 rpm

2002 ACURA RSX
Estimated Price : TBA: Approx. $20,000-$25,000

Engine
Engine Code : K20A

Type : In-line four
aluminum block and head

Valvetrain : DOHC, four valves per cylinder, per cylinder, i-VTEC variable valve timing

Displacement : 1998cc

Bore & Stroke : 86.0mm x 86.0mm

Compression Ratio : 9.8:1

Horsepower : 160 hp @ 6500 rpm

Torque : 141 lb-ft @ 4000 rpm

Redline : 6800 rpm"

You can't argue with these specs. As far as JDM K series motors, goes- the K20A can be found 2 different cars. The first gen JDM K20A was found in the Honda Stream (the first car to have an i-VTEC motor). Here's the link to the Honda Stream article...the server hasn't been working lately, so if it doesn't work, try back later (http://asia.vtec.net/article/k20a) The other place that the JDM K20A is used is in the 2002+ JDM Honda Integra Type R. It has 220hp, and jdmhondaparts.com sells them.
http://www.jdmhondaparts.com/engines/K20A-R.jpg
I hope that this cleared everything up. :cool:

hybridsol
11-14-2002, 04:21 PM
No, the RSX Type S engine code is a K20A2, I know that to be a fact.
look man the block stamp said k20c, I don't wanna fight about it. (as i said maybe they made a different engine code for a different yr.) I'm willing to stay openminded. I know hybrid garage uses k20a2 but they are mearly specifying that its the second model of the k20a the type S the motor is stamped with a K20C, K20A in japan is a type R integra as I said (completely different motor from the us k20a which is 160hp base model rsx, while the k20a in japan is 220hp. Fishcat and I were trying to distiguish the codes the only thing we could come up with is that honda engine codes severly confuse ppl. :D

antidote11
11-14-2002, 05:00 PM
Heres the fastest thing I could find.

"That verve is alive and well in the Si version of the car. Gone is the 160-hp K20A3 engine, replaced with a modified version of the K20A2 we find under the hood of the RSX Type S. " Honda Tuning Magazine

And you can go to this thread here and see that the RSX Type S engine code is indeed a K20A2. Read through the thread and take a look at some of the links......and to be honest, i have never even heard of a K20C, maybe that's in the Hybrid Civic or something, but not the Type S.

Thread About RSX Engine Codes (http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19966)

antidote11
11-14-2002, 05:11 PM
Also scroll down and click on the picture attachment that someone scanned from the service manual for the RSX Type S. That should be proof enough.

DblOvrhedCamron
11-15-2002, 12:19 AM
Also scroll down and click on the picture attachment that someone scanned from the service manual for the RSX Type S. That should be proof enough.
right........ the only thing is its stamped on the block of my friends type-s rsx motor......... I am a witness, I have seen the block stamp and it reads K20C. k20a2 is the specified name b/c the motor is part of the k20a series, Although the block code is K20C. from the crate pamphlet as well.

LjasonL
11-15-2002, 03:47 AM
Originally posted by hybridsol

Curb Weight with a Manual Transmission is 3085lbs, with automatic transmission its 3140lbs (the wagon lbs is more) whats really tight about the automatic is its system of traction response or Variable Torque Distribution (VTD). VTD utilizes a planetary center differential in conjunction with an electronically managed continuously variable transfer clutch, hence forth better trac. sytem. also all WRX models have a viscous limited-slip rear differential stock. (also the K20A is a base model rsx motor in the US and a type R teg in Jap.) - Honda engine codes are confusing as hell. (oh yea here's rsx Base Curb Weight 2694lbs on k20a in us and on a k20c type S Curb Weight is 2767lbs)

the wagon is 80 lbs heavier than the sedan. 80 pounds well spent i say, cuz its behind the rear axle, and it makes it a lot less understeer-y. so it may be heavier overall, but ive driven both, and in my opinion the wagon handles better on stock suspension.

and yeah that is cool about the auto, but you know what sucks about the auto? its 90% front power distribution for the new rs/ts, and 55% for the wrx, while the manual of all models is 50/50.

hybridsol
11-15-2002, 06:52 AM

the wagon is 80 lbs heavier than the sedan. 80 pounds well spent i say, cuz its behind the rear axle, and it makes it a lot less understeer-y. so it may be heavier overall, but ive driven both, and in my opinion the wagon handles better on stock suspension.

and yeah that is cool about the auto, but you know what sucks about the auto? its 90% front power distribution for the new rs/ts, and 55% for the wrx, while the manual of all models is 50/50.
I was under the impression that the wrx was (45 front/55 rear power split) on the auto. And that manual's came with a viscous locking center to Stab. Rear. I agree the wagon is a well weight distributed vehicle, all and all I think mostly all of us agree, that the wrx in this case is going to be the better choice due to the money factors. The rsx has tremendous potential, the new K series (I just said K):) is a highly evolved motor. But the fact that the wrx comes stock with LSD a turbo and still leaves room for potential (wins my vote).

antidote11
11-15-2002, 08:55 AM
I don't disagree with you, there has been a lot of talk about what exactly the engine code is. I just read that recently that it was called a K20C but yet it is a K20A2. Hmmmm.......who knows. Like you said, Honda engine codes are all jacked up. :D Maybe in reality, over in Japan, they call it the K20A2C3P0. :D

hybridsol
11-15-2002, 09:49 AM
I don't disagree with you, there has been a lot of talk about what exactly the engine code is. I just read that recently that it was called a K20C but yet it is a K20A2. Hmmmm.......who knows. Like you said, Honda engine codes are all jacked up. :D Maybe in reality, over in Japan, they call it the K20A2C3P0. :D
K20A2C3PO or K20ACR2D2 - comes standard with photon blasters and navigation droid, VTEC head optional... lol

antidote11
11-15-2002, 09:59 AM
:D :D :D

So what did you say your friend put that K20 in ? People have been
swapping the RSX Type S engine into the new Civic Sis and have been getting some good number out of it.

hybridsol
11-15-2002, 10:48 AM
:D :D :D

So what did you say your friend put that K20 in ? People have been
swapping the RSX Type S engine into the new Civic Sis and have been getting some good number out of it.
the K20A2 or K20c swap was done in a 2002 ex. We were all new to the K series motor swap. With the exception of me having a full scim. done by my proffesor (he's a big motor head) of a K20A. The motor swap moved pretty smoothly, with the exception of a few minor snags we finished the motor swap with minor difficulty. We have yet to 1/4 mile test the car but the dyno test ran the motor overrated hp..... next its off to the track!
here's a pic of me and (Howie with the K20) waiting for x-board ppl to show up for races.

antidote11
11-15-2002, 10:58 AM
Very cool man. I used to have a 2001 Civic EX before my prelude, and man was that thing slow !! But with a K20 in it, it's gonna be killer !!

I loved the Civic and it's looks, but it was just too slow for me, and back when I got it, swapping the K20 was a biotch to do. There was a guy on 2k1Civic.com that tried it for awhile and he ran into all kinds of issues with it. But cool, let us know how that Vic does at the strip. :D

hybridsol
11-15-2002, 11:26 AM
Very cool man. I used to have a 2001 Civic EX before my prelude, and man was that thing slow !! But with a K20 in it, it's gonna be killer !!

I loved the Civic and it's looks, but it was just too slow for me, and back when I got it, swapping the K20 was a biotch to do. There was a guy on 2k1Civic.com that tried it for awhile and he ran into all kinds of issues with it. But cool, let us know how that Vic does at the strip. :D
Is you friend still doing the swap? Perhaps I can help, I have done a base model tear down and custom turbo install as well feel free to give him my email ady, i'll pm it to you.:)

antidote11
11-15-2002, 11:35 AM
I haven't been on that forum since I got my Prelude, which was about a year ago, so I have no idea what's up now. He may have gotten it swapped out by now. He was just having issues due to the direction from what I can rememeber and he played with it for about a month before he said fuCk it.

hybridsol
11-15-2002, 11:38 AM
I haven't been on that forum since I got my Prelude, which was about a year ago, so I have no idea what's up now. He may have gotten it swapped out by now. He was just having issues due to the direction from what I can rememeber and he played with it for about a month before he said fuCk it.
oh ok so it was just a rondom guy.... Sorry didint catch that the first time.:)

antidote11
11-15-2002, 12:04 PM
Yeh, it was just some guy, I don't remember his screen name or anything.

mugenrsx
01-04-2003, 01:54 AM
Wrx is faster and is easily made faster. if you like the quality and look of the rsx type s they stick with it its not totally blown out of the water.... it runs 14.7-14.8 as oposed to the stock wrx 14.2. both cars have thier perks. Vtec is unbeatable, but a turbo set up is real powerfull. both cars can be made fast. its all about test driving and seeing which car gives you the hardest wood man....:monkeypis

Add your comment to this topic!