Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

92 S-10 Blazer

ccoryj04
11-11-2004, 09:44 AM
Just bought a S-10 Blazer. I've changed the oil, bought a new battery, and changed out the spark plugs. The engine is a W model I believe. My problem is that it's sucking gas like crazy and blowing a large plume of thick white smoke from the exhaust. I've started it twice since putting gas in it (enough to bring it to half a tank) and only let it run for possibly two minutes both times. The gas was sucked so quickly that it is now just below a quarter of a tank. There is no leakage of gas from below, or oil also. I can't figure out what is causing the fuel drain and the white smoke. It's quite frustrating and could use all the help I can get. Thanks.

dmbrisket 51
11-11-2004, 10:44 AM
all i can say is wow! and bring it to a machanic because i have no idea what would cause you to go through gas THAT quick

ccoryj04
11-11-2004, 10:50 AM
all i can say is wow! and bring it to a machanic because i have no idea what would cause you to go through gas THAT quick

Okay, I have no idea either. Thanks anyway.

ccoryj04
11-11-2004, 11:12 AM
Just bought a S-10 Blazer. I've changed the oil, bought a new battery, and changed out the spark plugs. The engine is a W model I believe. My problem is that it's sucking gas like crazy and blowing a large plume of thick white smoke from the exhaust. I've started it twice since putting gas in it (enough to bring it to half a tank) and only let it run for possibly two minutes both times. The gas was sucked so quickly that it is now just below a quarter of a tank. There is no leakage of gas from below, or oil also. I can't figure out what is causing the fuel drain and the white smoke. It's quite frustrating and could use all the help I can get. Thanks.

By the way it is a 6 cyl fuel injection system. Could it be fuel filter or possible head gasket?

dmbrisket 51
11-11-2004, 04:29 PM
could be fuel mixture, to much gas not enough air?

ccoryj04
11-12-2004, 08:29 AM
How could I figure out if it's fuel mixture?

Fractured1
11-12-2004, 08:36 AM
have you checked your oil to see if it's comtaminated with water or gas...could be a crack in the system somewhere..headgasket....intake...

vtmecheng
11-12-2004, 09:05 AM
If there is no gas in the oil or coolent and it isn't on the ground then my guess is a really rich mixture. Unless you know how to do major engine work it is time to find a really good mechanic. I wouldn't drive it there though, may do a lot of costly damage, so have it towed. It really sucks that you just got the truck and have such problems. Good luck to you man.
P.S. You can tell if the engine in a W or Z by the vin #, one of the two letters will be in there.

ccoryj04
11-12-2004, 02:47 PM
Alright! Thanks everyone your insight has been helpful. I think I'll just blow it up or something. I only paid $850 for it anyways.

dmbrisket 51
11-12-2004, 04:16 PM
my vin # contains a wwx (yes in that order on the bar) so which do i have?

uummm
11-20-2004, 06:50 PM
the problem with your truck and sucking gas i dont know, but the problem with the white smoke is probably a blown head gasket, smell the oil and see if it smells like gas, and check the coolant and see if there might be oil in it, and if your checking for gas leaks, make sure to do it right after you turn the truck off, it may be coming from the manifold, maybe you need to torq it down or something. those are the only things i can think of and if they dont work, i would suggest a mechanic.

BlazerLT
11-21-2004, 01:00 AM
Vin W = CPI injector and nut kit needs replacing.

Look here:

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113559&highlight=cpi+replacement

freaksrule
12-15-2004, 06:55 PM
man I'm glad you posted this. I also have a 92 s-10 blazer 4X4. It too went from running ok to dropping the mpg to about 1 or 2 a gallon + all the white smoke you can dream of. The transmission was not shifting right so we serviced it and found that there was gas in the exhaust. If anyone has a detailed map or layout of the fuel system you would be my hero as that would help greatly to fixing this problem. I'm buying a compression tester tonight as that will hopefully let me know if it could be a blown head gasket or maybe a warped head.

BlazerLT
12-15-2004, 09:04 PM
You are saying there is white smoke billowing out of the exhaust even when warmed up?

uummm
12-17-2004, 10:07 PM
i dont know about a blown head gasket, however if your getting fuel in the exhaust, i would think possibly too much valve overlap, your timing may be off or maybe it could be a warped head. thats just my opinion though

BlazerLT
12-18-2004, 03:18 AM
if it is a CPI Vin W 4.3L, chances are the injector has went before valve overlap occurs which is hardly does with our engines.

Should be kept in mind though.

blazermans-10
11-18-2005, 01:59 PM
Sounds like fuel line is leaking under the plenium(manifold) And Burning the gas
This Will Cause stinky smell at exhaust
Black smoke
hard starting ,will drive better at highway speed
set off oxygen sensor code (check engine lite)

The fix is replace the 2 fuel lines under manifold . The lines can be checked when the manifold is removed. by turning key to acc. on (not start) and look at hoses see if shooting gas.(Be Very Carefull Raw Gas ,Use Eye Protection) And No Smoking!!
They Are Very Easily Replaced.

Add your comment to this topic!