Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

www.ststurbo.com

pitbullgst
11-10-2004, 07:55 PM
I wondered if you guys could check out this site for me. they are starting a new turbo setup style called remote mounting. i was wondering how easy it would be to copy the idea to other cars than what they have posted. it seems a fairly simple setup and the charge like 4000$. i think it would be a great setup for daily drivers with a few modifications and cost alot less to do it yourself build one. I am wondering what kind of turbo they use? how they control boost? let me know what you think! thanks! pitbullgst@hotmail.com

pitbullgst
11-10-2004, 08:35 PM
come on there has to be some turbo guru's on this site? the setup will give you low boost which most cars can handle with a few mods. i think a set up could be had with brand new turbo and wastegate for under a grand. anybody got some input? ? ????

Z28 Drifter
11-10-2004, 08:39 PM
Forget the damn turbo and build an all motor car.

Alastor187
11-10-2004, 11:10 PM
I wondered if you guys could check out this site for me. they are starting a new turbo setup style called remote mounting. i was wondering how easy it would be to copy the idea to other cars than what they have posted. it seems a fairly simple setup and the charge like 4000$. i think it would be a great setup for daily drivers with a few modifications and cost alot less to do it yourself build one. I am wondering what kind of turbo they use? how they control boost? let me know what you think! thanks! pitbullgst@hotmail.com

This topic has been discussed in detail before:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=270775

pitbullgst
11-10-2004, 11:15 PM
great logic? haha! have you ever ridden in a car with boost? it would be a difficult set up to make for my car but well worth the effort. Just out of curiousity's sake aren't you the same guy who was scared at 150 mph? and I hate to break it to you but if you were pushing 490 to the wheels you would be faster than a 13 second car. you would at least be in the 12's. get dynoed please. and thanks for all the helpful info! later! :)

pitbullgst
11-10-2004, 11:52 PM
this topic has been discussed before but it was a bunch of guys arguing who hadn't done any research. i have seen 10 second time slips from these cars. i have seen them up to 20 psi boost. i seen a camaro dyno base at 313 and then after a remote mount turbo was installed dyno 463. I just read 3 pages of crap from that last link. i am looking for some real tuners and racers who know about forced induction to give some info. i know this set up has pro's and con's but i really want to know what all would be needed to make a dyi set up. most 4 bangers could use a 14b turbo, custom piping, oil cooler, boost guage, air fuel guage, boost controller, and a ken belle boost-a-pump and make a 500$ ebay style kit to put them arounf 5-8 pounds. you could also put it in the cat area underneath the car and reduce lag alot. just throw away the cat.

Alastor187
11-11-2004, 01:42 PM
this topic has been discussed before but it was a bunch of guys arguing who hadn't done any research. i have seen 10 second time slips from these cars. i have seen them up to 20 psi boost. i seen a camaro dyno base at 313 and then after a remote mount turbo was installed dyno 463. I just read 3 pages of crap from that last link. i am looking for some real tuners and racers who know about forced induction to give some info. i know this set up has pro's and con's but i really want to know what all would be needed to make a dyi set up. most 4 bangers could use a 14b turbo, custom piping, oil cooler, boost guage, air fuel guage, boost controller, and a ken belle boost-a-pump and make a 500$ ebay style kit to put them arounf 5-8 pounds. you could also put it in the cat area underneath the car and reduce lag alot. just throw away the cat.

If you really did read the entire link objectively you would have understood that remote turbochargers can work. However, they have some inherit disadvantages with respect to a turbocharger mounted near the engine. The least of which is piping losses because of the increase in piping length required. More significantly is the reduction in exhaust gas temperatures as the exhaust flow reaches the impeller.

From a thermodynamics perspective (i.e. engineer not tuner) a significant amount of work can be obtained from a fluid flow using a high pressure differential (change in) or a high temperature differential. A high pressure differential requires significant backpressure on the engine and therefore is undesirable. This is why high temperature and low pressure is desirable to run the turbocharger.

A remote turbocharger will work but as most the literature on the “sts” website states the turbocharger must be sized appropriately. It must be designed to operate at lower temperatures and probably higher pressures. The remote turbo will be less efficient than a traditional turbocharger, but no one said it would be less capable. I am sure you can get 20 psi of boost and X amount of additional power with a remote turbocharger system. However, with an equivalent non-remote turbocharger system it is possible to achieve even more boost, power, and/or efficiency.

Z28 Drifter
11-11-2004, 06:10 PM
No you cant run 12s with this 490HP car because its automatic it does have a limited slip it spins tires all the way to the finish if I could hook up I would run some where in the area of a 12.5 and yes I have dynoed at Viginia Speed 491 Hp @ 6600 rpm and 523 Torque @ 3800 rpm!

Hypsi87
11-11-2004, 11:04 PM
No you cant run 12s with this 490HP car because its automatic it does have a limited slip it spins tires all the way to the finish if I could hook up I would run some where in the area of a 12.5 and yes I have dynoed at Viginia Speed 491 Hp @ 6600 rpm and 523 Torque @ 3800 rpm!

even if spinning, you would of MPH'd alot better for 490 HP.

Zgringo
11-22-2004, 08:22 PM
come on there has to be some turbo guru's on this site? the setup will give you low boost which most cars can handle with a few mods. i think a set up could be had with brand new turbo and wastegate for under a grand. anybody got some input? ? ????

Go read turbo vs supercharger above this tread then email me.

Albert

JekylandHyde
11-24-2004, 10:15 AM
490 rwhp to run a 12.5?
Does your car weigh 5000+ lbs

I'm at 351 rwhp and runnings 11.7 ~ 11.9.

Add your comment to this topic!