Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2003 wrangler DTC P1494

Jontp
11-10-2004, 12:32 PM
I have a 2003 Jeep Wrangler. The check engine light came on. The DTC ( diagnostic trouble code ) that comes up in the oddometer is P1494. Looking online i found that this is referring to a leak detector pump. Anyone have a clue what this is, where it is, and how to fix it ? Can this damage the engine if I keep driving it ?

hundahunta
11-10-2004, 10:33 PM
leak detection pump or mechanical fault..

REMOVAL
The Leak Detection Pump (LDP), LDP Filter, and EVAP canister are attached to a common support bracket. This support assembly is located to the rear of the right / rear tire under the plastic wheelhouse liner (EVAP CANISTER / LDP LOCATION). The LDP filter is also located near the EVAP canister (DISCONNECTING ORVR VAPOR LINES). The LDP and LDP filter are replaced (serviced) as one unit.

Remove right/rear tire/wheel.
Remove wheelhouse liner at right/rear wheel.
Remove vertical support bracket (EVAP CANISTER / LDP LOCATION) to gain access to 2 ORVR vapor lines.
Two vapor lines connect the fuel tank to the EVAP canister and Leak Detection Pump (LDP). This connection is made near the right/rear corner of the fuel tank. Carefully disconnect these 2 vapor lines (DISCONNECTING ORVR VAPOR LINES) near top of flow management valve. Be very careful not to bend or kink the vapor lines. If lines leak, a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) will be set.
Remove common support bracket assembly (COMMON SUPPORT BRACKET ASSEMBLY) containing LDP pump, LDP filter and EVAP canister from vehicle. While lowering this assembly, disconnect LDP electrical connector (COMMON SUPPORT BRACKET ASSEMBLY) at LDP pump. Do not allow the assembly to hang from the wire harness.
Carefully separate hose at bottom of LDP filter.
Carefully remove vapor/vacuum lines at LDP.
If necessary, remove LDP filter mounting bolt and remove filter.
Remove EVAP canister from common support bracket by removing 4 nuts (COMMON SUPPORT BRACKET ASSEMBLY).
Remove 3 LDP mounting bolts (LDP MOUNTING BOLTS) and remove LDP from support bracket.

the vehicle is still under warranty, it will not damage anything it is for emissions...

Add your comment to this topic!