Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Transmission Swap? Is it Possible?

romapint
11-10-2004, 08:29 AM
I have a 92 Ford Explorer 4x4 automatic. I have had to rebuild the transmission once and have swapped it out with a junkyard transmission just recently. Its been so frustrating with these stupid autmatics and now my junkyard trasnsmission the one that is currently on the car is acting funny. I was wondering if anyone could please help is it possible to convert the car to a manual. Heres my dilema. The 4x4 is the electric shift and Im not sure if that would work with the manual tranny. I know those are usually lever controlled. I wouldnt mind having the lever control but what does that mean. Would that mean i need to change the transfer case to. What does it consist of changing from an autmatic to manual. Besides alot of work. What is different. Is the rear end any different or the torque converter? What else woul I need besides the clutch and clutch pump and lines? I would greatly appreciate some input from anyone and any advice. I like my car even though it has 230,000 miles just about everything has been replace including the engine. I would like to see if I could swap it for a manual then possibly look at upgrading the engine and suspension. Thanks yall.

romapint
11-11-2004, 08:06 AM
Any Clues anyone? Or any advice on this issue?

datatalk
11-11-2004, 07:27 PM
Check with advance adapters, they were good when i swaped a v6 to a v8 in my blazer, i know they have all the parts for swaping, if they don't it probly wont be worth the truble. here is the site, i would look but also call them they are great on the phone with info to.
www.advanceadapters.com

good luck.

Add your comment to this topic!