Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

I Heard a Bird with Straightpipes.. Sort of..

solaris=amazing
11-09-2004, 01:14 PM
Last night at a gas station i always go to, i was filling up..then.. I heard this raspy (kind of annoying) roar coming in. It was a 94 v8 bird (dual exhaust) that had straightpipes.

I had to check it out, so i said whats up to the dude, and he was checking out my bird also (being that mine was way cleaner). Apon further look, i seen he in fact just chopped off his mufflers, and added some stainless (looked ugly/not finished look) pipes to em. I asked him about it, and he just wanted the car to be more loud-he kept the cats on there.

Now, i asked a while ago about this, and decided i really shouldn't do it (because if anything and full exhaust is best), but now i'm wondering :-) Them cut off muffs made the car sound MEAN, more dirty mean than anything-very raspy.

RickwithaTbird
11-09-2004, 02:44 PM
well, did it sound deep and low toned, or did it sound like crap? I personally would prefer it to sound stock instead of it sounding like I couldnt afford to do it right. And im still unclear about what difference the muffler makes (aside from muffling, duh) I mean, does it help the air flow by reducing pressure? or does it only counteract the slowing down of the air from going through its own chambers? basically, does the muffler make it easier on the engine? positives? negatives?

solaris=amazing
11-09-2004, 03:24 PM
What i've read is that removing the mufflers alone, and adding straightpipe can infact rob low-end torque (very small/almost none) from the engine. Adding an entire exhaust system would be a benefit, making the air come in and go out very easy.

As far as the sound, well, it was not the 98 GT Stange rumble, it was kind of like a car that sounded as if it was going to blow up. At idle, it was not to noticable, but once he revved it for me, it had a deep rumble WITH a low quality sound.

thunderbird muscle
11-09-2004, 04:40 PM
I have straights on mine and I love the way it sounds, but it doesn't sound like anyother 4.6 with straights I have ever heard, but I love it. Did he still have his resonator on it or did he remove it to this will make it have a little deeper tone.

solaris=amazing
11-10-2004, 02:57 PM
Resonator?? Sorry, what is that, i just took a look underneath and seen he had both cats on, then he said "yeah i kept the cats so i can get it inspected".

thunderbird muscle
11-11-2004, 07:21 PM
The resonator comes right after the 3rd cat.

thunder95
01-19-2005, 09:07 AM
I have a 95 Thunderbird with really no mods. I have a KandN filter on the stock box and decided to upgrade the exhaust a little. The resonators and factory mufflers came off and were replaced with straight pipes (for the resonators) and Dynomax for the mufflers. The cat is still there and the sound was a nice improvement. It has more of a roar when you get into it but is still a sleeper at idle. It's not loud by any means but gives it a little muscle sound when needed and I can tell it opens up better w/o the restriction. Total cost = about 100$.

flewthecoupe
01-19-2005, 05:11 PM
If one were to remove the whole system and upgrade to a larger diameter exhaust, low end power would be lost unless an X or H pipe were installed and then there would still be some. If 2 X pipes were installed the lower power loss more than likely would not be there and the 2nd X pipe helps cancel the resonance that would be created by not having a resonator.

INNES
01-19-2005, 07:10 PM
I also have a 88' bronco w/ stock exhaust. in time from the cat back it roted of so i took it of. i bought a 90 and a tail tip.i took the 90 welded an existing pipe from the muffler welded the tial pipe tip to it and clamped it to the cat.i did it cause it was cheap $11. in parts but man it sounds awesome. people cat tell they think i have a work truck.all 3 cats are still hooked up so it will pass emissions but i guess they tone it down just enough. so what was temp exhaust to get it out the side so i dont breath it or smell it is now perminant.i want to put equil leth shorty headers on my 88,T-Bird and take the old headers and try and figure them into the stock Y pipe on my truck.

JR Tigerstar
01-23-2005, 12:11 AM
I've had a single mid-mounted Magnaflow 2 in 1 out muffler with no rear mufflers for over three years and love the sound. :bigthumb:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v502/Tigerstar/96T-birdExhaust-2.jpg

INNES
01-23-2005, 11:48 AM
self engerniring i love it

thunderbird muscle
01-23-2005, 07:57 PM
^lol^ Bird owners love doing things their own way!

RickwithaTbird
01-23-2005, 08:49 PM
lol, I love they way you self engineered a new way to spell engineering! lol.. man.. im just playin with ya... but yea Ive seemed to notice that t bird owners do a lot of things creatively. And they all love their cars. I havent looked hard, but I havent ever heard of such a big car club or website dedicated to one particular type of car like tccoa, or sccoa.. for any other vehicles. And also, there is no other type of car that I could imagine myself loving so much, the way I loved my 96. Of course there are the rice rocket clubs, but most people who drive those dont have any taste so they dont count.

overl0rd
01-23-2005, 10:14 PM
on my 96 i just replaced the stock mufflers with 40 series flowmasters (2 chamber). gave it a nice low tone at idle and sounded ballsy and deep all the way to redline.

INNES
01-23-2005, 11:50 PM
rickwithatbird you cant be more right i cant spell.i mean about t-bird owners well real owners not one who just bought a car but went out and borght a t-bird or couger.im on my 4th t-bird.t-birds are different their a sports car but one thats a little tough to find after market parts for.though most mustang parts fit on it,you dont know what realy dose and who carrys them. go to a speed shop they tell ya "i dont know why dont you just buy a mustang . i just got my computer and loving it i cant belive all the info and people intrested in these cars. before this i would bump into some one every now and then w/one of these cars.these cars are different you cant just order parts and bolt them on like a stang or a camaro and lol honda.these cars require a little effort and research.Or self enginering.

brandonhadnot
01-24-2005, 09:03 PM
Last night at a gas station i always go to, i was filling up..then.. I heard this raspy (kind of annoying) roar coming in. It was a 94 v8 bird (dual exhaust) that had straightpipes.

I had to check it out, so i said whats up to the dude, and he was checking out my bird also (being that mine was way cleaner). Apon further look, i seen he in fact just chopped off his mufflers, and added some stainless (looked ugly/not finished look) pipes to em. I asked him about it, and he just wanted the car to be more loud-he kept the cats on there.

Now, i asked a while ago about this, and decided i really shouldn't do it (because if anything and full exhaust is best), but now i'm wondering :-) Them cut off muffs made the car sound MEAN, more dirty mean than anything-very raspy.

i used to have staright pipes on mine i have 95 4.6L gutted the cats and resinator and had staineless steel pipes on mine after cutting the mufflers... but driving down the highway at 80 + mph down the road i could hardly hear my radio all theyway up and i got a sound system in my bird.. plus the 14 days i had my car like that i kept gettin pulled over by the highway patrol 12 of the 14 days for my car being too loud and after getting 10 warnings and 2 200 dollar tickets at a whack gets a exspensive i figured its not worth it... cours i live in OKlahoma i dont know how where you live if the cops are assholes or not... but i will say it will increase your gas milage bout 4 mpg

fmfgnarly
01-25-2005, 12:03 AM
Ya ive looked up the moter for these cars to see how much it would be to replace them and found out that they are the same as the mustangs. So pritty any part that you can put on the mustang you can put on the T-Bird. But to get back on topic, ive never heard one with open pipes, but the other day i pased one with a nice exhaust system, and sounded really nice.

Add your comment to this topic!