Fuel Smell

Navydoug
11-08-2004, 04:02 PM
I have a 93 Rodeo with 57,000 miles on it. the reason the miles are so low is the vehicle was stored inside a covered facility for the last 5.5 years while I was stationed overseas. I got it out of storage in July and tuned it up, changed oil etc then drove it from Texas to Missouri without any problem. I have been driving it 45+ miles daily since July and there has been no problem. Just in the last two weeks I have noticed a fuel smell inside the rear seat of the car. I changed the air and fuel filter but it is still there. I added a fuel additive but no joy either. There are no gas leaks I can see anywhere and I have been all over under the vehicle and under the hood looking for them. The gas mileage has decreased a little bit but the performance is still rock solid. I was told that a bad cat could cause this problem, but I wanted to know what else. The EGR valve looks pretty good and clean.

Cat Fuzz
11-09-2004, 11:04 PM
I'm totally guessing here, but maybe your gas cap is not sealing properly? Maybe the filler hose is allowing fumes into the cabin? Don't really need a fuel leak, just a fume leak to get the smell.

gbick
12-24-2004, 10:07 PM
Check your evap cannister too. If it is soaked with gas or not working right, you will smell gas.

isacc
02-20-2008, 07:43 PM
I'm having the same problem with my wife's 1999 trooper. All the same symtoms, so I ran it through my scanner. Got engine code P0440. Evap emissions system. Changed the purge soleniod, check engine light stayed off for a week. Changed the lines from the purge soleniod to the charcol canister, light stayed off for a week. Biggest problem I have with this vehicle is that no one wants to help you with it. I drive a Jeep TJ, and have wasted hours at a time talking about them at parts stores. As soon as you mention Isuzu, everyone smiles and says "Good Luck with that". I've run out of ideas and skin on my knuckles. Any help would be a bonus.

hshawn31
02-21-2008, 12:53 AM
this is also just a gues... if you notice my last postings about the grinding in the rear end, i have spent some hours underneath my rodeo. i have noticed an overfill tube underneath the car that is connected to the fill hole...have you filled up your gas tank and "topped it off"? the gas may have sprayed out of the overfill tube onto the underbody, and as you drive it'll dry up leaving a gas smell

just a guess though

isacc
02-21-2008, 07:12 AM
I thought of that too. The smell is only there when the car is idling, and it comees from near the front of the vehicle.

cmladue
02-22-2008, 12:24 AM
check to see if your injectors are leaking if u say it only happens when u are idling. clean it all done and run it to see if u can smell it near the injectors. then i would check the lines to make sure they did not break i think some of the fuel line is hose and if it sat for a while might be going.

poo 95 rodeo
03-18-2008, 03:42 AM
hellow new to this but i have a fuel smell from time to time. it always comes from the fuel hose that comes up in front of the timing belt cover near the three coil packs left side. theres a clamp that slips or the hose is rotting. i change it alot

Add your comment to this topic!