Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

95/96 Eclipse Engine Swap = Problems, wont start ...

ddubb5150
11-08-2004, 01:17 PM
Okay, I dont actually own an eclipse, but ive been working with a friend to get his working.
He had a 1996 Eclipse RS 2.0 Manual, and it was sitting outside of his house a couple months ago until somebody set it on fire. The whole back half was destroyed but everything in the engine compartment looked good ( with the exception that the firemen may have sprayed water in that area )
So we picked up a 1995 Eclipse RS 2.0 Automatic with a knock in the engine for $500. It started up and everything, just had a knock.
We decided to take the engine w/ manual out of the 96 and put it into the 95, so we also swapped the entire engine wiring harness + computer, etc, into the other car. There were a couple wires that we had to make a new connection for between the dash, and swap over the clutch and everything else, no problem.
What the problem is now, is that it wont start - the engine cranks over, but it has no spark. So I did a voltage test at the coil pack and the fuel pump, and it looks like wen you turn the key to the "run" position, it cranks 12 volts for a second, then 0 volts.
Same when we are turning the key .. it keeps switching between 12 volts and 0 volts, and since its both at the fuel pump and coil distributor .. im guessing it may be a computer related issue ??? Either the ECU itself is bad, or some kind of relay isnt staying closed ( bad ground ? )
There is also a small high frequency buzzing sound coming from the ECU inside the engine compartment when the key is in the run position.

Does anybody know anything about what we're working on here ??? Id appreciate any help possible, this project shouldnt have taken more than a weekend, but now we're dealing with some kind of electrical problem.

Thanks for any help in advance
- Dan

hellah fresh
11-10-2004, 11:46 PM
same shit with my 96 RS i changed everything. Still wont start and its been like 4 1/2 months in our shop. Y dont you take it to the dealership? haha if i find out what is its ill let you know.

ddubb5150
11-13-2004, 10:23 PM
We've fixed the problem .. it was an electrical connector near the bottom of the engine we had to search for. After that we gave it a few cranks and it fired up.
Sounds like you missed something along the line if the car hasnt been working for the last 4 months.
- Dan

helliviknow
11-13-2004, 11:05 PM
you still havent got that thing running hella?

hellah fresh
11-14-2004, 01:33 AM
haha hell no still not running So if Dubb says what he did worked then i have to try the samething. =\ Wish me luck man. Ill have pics of my car up soon.

hellah fresh
11-14-2004, 01:35 AM
We've fixed the problem .. it was an electrical connector near the bottom of the engine we had to search for. After that we gave it a few cranks and it fired up.
Sounds like you missed something along the line if the car hasnt been working for the last 4 months.
- Dan

what connector was it? Can you take pictures or something. Its been like... 6 months now that my car won't start. =\ Yours is a 420A motor too tho right...?

Add your comment to this topic!