Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

reseting ECU......

twizzaut
02-23-2002, 03:39 AM
i need to reset my ecu really bad since i just got new spark plugs and new wires. anyone know the best way to do it? its been a while since ive done it but i know theres a way by taking out your ecu fuse but i forgot how to do it that way. someone please let me know cause my gas mileage sucks!!!!!!

beastfromeast
02-23-2002, 11:21 AM
It's very simple. Start your engine, and while it's running, pull out the ECU fuse. Then, turn off the ignition ( the engine should be not running )wait for about 30 seconds, put the fuse back and restart the engine. That's it.

Peace y'all, Raph...

brads94accord
02-23-2002, 10:56 PM
another way to do it is disconnect your battery for 10 minutes.

strodda
02-23-2002, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by beastfromeast
It's very simple. Start your engine, and while it's running, pull out the ECU fuse. Then, turn off the ignition ( the engine should be not running )wait for about 30 seconds, put the fuse back and restart the engine. That's it.

Peace y'all, Raph...
is it the fuse that says ecu clock? im assuming so, but just making sure.

twizzaut
02-24-2002, 12:02 AM
its the fuse under your hood. on mine it just says ECU

strodda
02-24-2002, 08:03 PM
yea i figured that out. i asked the question cause i was lookin in the chilton's honda manual, and it showed something different. but when i got my lazy ass up i did see it, and it just says ECU, cant get much easier.
but thanx

twizzaut
02-25-2002, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by strodda
yea i figured that out. i asked the question cause i was lookin in the chilton's honda manual, and it showed something different. but when i got my lazy ass up i did see it, and it just says ECU, cant get much easier.
but thanx

no problem. i still need to get my lazy ass up and do it. :D

turok
02-27-2002, 05:11 PM
my gas mileage sux toooooo...I don't know why, but when i step on the gas pedal all the way, my car consumes waaaaayy too much gas, even for a 6 cylinder, which it is not. Will resetting my ecu make a diff? what could be wrong ?

strodda
02-27-2002, 07:22 PM

Peace y'all, Raph...
i just reset it again today. but when i pulled the ecu fuse, the engine turned off. is that supposed to happen?

twizzaut
02-28-2002, 12:12 PM
you're not supposed to take that fuse out while the car is running. hehe

strodda
02-28-2002, 01:55 PM

Peace y'all, Raph...
hey twizzaut... what the hell is this guy talking about ??? is he just gonna help me mess up my car??

HONDA_99
02-28-2002, 02:40 PM
Here what you do;
first method.
you need to find fuse for ECU back-up (not ECU fuse), its not under hood, on 6gen V6 its inside of cabin on right side.
pull it out for 10sec.(10sec is enough) some times Honda pair ECU back-up fuse with something else, on my car its paired with clock, it may be same for your car.
BTW, engine needs to be off.

second way of resetting ECU.
if you don't have anti-thief device in head unit (5&6gen EX models have it), you can dicsonnect negative terminal of battery for 10sec, but you will lose all presettings on your radio.

another thing, it takes 10-15min of normal driving for ECU to learn new set-up.

bbc_flux
02-28-2002, 03:52 PM
why are you resetting it??...you just put in new plugs and wires....i don't see where you are gonna gain anything by doing that

twizzaut
03-01-2002, 01:03 PM
well you are supposed the reset the ecu after u do anything motor wise

Verse914
03-01-2002, 09:58 PM
you dont need to reset the ecu for a minor mod like plugs and wires.

twizzaut
03-05-2002, 12:21 PM
why not? u never know. u might get some of the lost power back that u have been missing

Verse914
03-05-2002, 04:06 PM
loss of gas mileage could be your fuel filter needing a changing.

You wont gain any power from plugs and wires unless your current ones were in really bad shape.

Add your comment to this topic!