1989 EFI Pickup No Fuel

mugsy-magoo
11-08-2004, 10:16 AM
One day, the 1989 pickup decides not to run anymore, after performing flawlessly for me for about 10,000 miles. It currently has about 150,000 miles.

Motor turns and will start on starter fluid, then dies.

I already had the parts for a tuneup, so I replaced the Distributor Cap, Rotor, Wires and Plugs, and now it runs even BETTER on starter fluid. I knew it would.

I have not taken off any fuel lines yet, but have felt the fuel pump on the gas tank with engine "on", and feel no vibration. I unplugged the two wires to pump and got no voltage when ignition "on". I checked the fuse in engine compartment, and it is good. I also checked the socket, and it is "hot" when ignition is "on". Swapped relay, and it feels like it is throwing when engine switched to "on".

There is however another fuse in the passenger compartment for "Fuel pump". This is another 20 amp fuse. The fuse in the socket is good, but there is no voltage when ignition is "on".

It seems odd to me that there are 2 - 20 amp fuses, and I cannot find an accurate wiring diagram.

Is there one of those reset switches on this vehicle? You know, the one to shut off the fuel pump in the event of an accident?

Is there some way for me to apply voltage directly to the fuel pump, just to prove that it is good.

I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

GeoStormRS
11-11-2004, 04:37 PM
Hook the pump directly to your batter. Then you know for sure wheter or not it works. If the ignition switch is on, the pump will only pump for about 3 seconds, and then quit. However, if you are turning the engine over, the pump should pump constantly. You will probably need a second person to turn the key for you. I am currently changing the pump in one of my cars. Also, if the pump is not bad, you may have a clogged fuel filter.

GeoStormRS
11-11-2004, 04:39 PM
Hook the pump directly to your batter.
*battery

mugsy-magoo
11-17-2004, 08:35 AM
Thanks for the tip. Of course.....why didn't I think of that? Anyway, I did apply 12V and the pump is dead.

So here is where I am. The tank is dropped, I have a new pump, but because of corrosion, etc., I cannot determine if there are eight screws holding the flange onto the tank, or if there are, say four screws and four rivets. The heads are just gone, however, I think they were phillips since there are rusty shadows that look like phillips heads.

OK, two questions.

First, does anyone know if the heads I see should all be removed? I'd hate to drill out rivets and have to buy the $300 pump assembly instead of the $80 pump. Again, I think there are eight screws around the flange, and I'll just use an "easy-out"....I just want to be sure.

Second, I was wondering about a new tank. This one is really corroded, no visible leaks, but the lines mounted on the tank look beat. Where can I find a new one? Are they available?

Thanks everyone.

Add your comment to this topic!