Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2wd to 4wd conversion?

hexone
11-08-2004, 02:01 AM
hey everyone, I have recently just purchased a o3' tacoma but I never had any intentions to do any serious offroading so I opted for the simple trd 2wd version instead of the 4wd. after a little rompin' in the local mud holes, and trails I was made into an offroad junky over night. I lifted my taco few inches and put a nice pair of bfg mudders on it, but obviously I've come to the conclusion that I am lacging 4wd advantages. Is there a way I can convert to 4wd without opting for a sold axle. I'd love to go solid axle but my wallet and fiance won't allow it. Can I salvage some wrecked taco parts like the differential, half-axles, transfer case and other doo-dads and get 4wd? Can anybody give me any help at all on getting started? Maybe a couple of good companies to check out? Thanks alot ya'll.
-Alex

lifetrddeath
11-08-2004, 03:08 AM
The guy who did my re-gearing said a simple font end axle swap should do it. Best bet would be to find a 4wd Taco in a junkyard and cannibalize it. Other than that, try and find a local shop that might know what the hell they are doing and make some arrangements.

hexone
11-08-2004, 04:17 AM
hey man, thanks for the info. anytime you need help give me a hollar.
-alex

corym52
11-08-2004, 06:19 PM
Don't forget the tranny swap that is invoved!! The prerunner has a 340E while 4wd have 340F. Check out TTORA.com and search for someone doing a SAS that will let his front stuff go for a good price. The tranny can be found at junkyards etc... Cory

Shredhead
11-08-2004, 06:22 PM
Sounds a little expensive would it be worth just buying a 4x instead?

lifetrddeath
11-08-2004, 08:07 PM
Well if you can get the parts from a junkyard, guess it's wouldnt be too bad. Otherwise yeah, probly can get pretty pricey.

Add your comment to this topic!