Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Thumping Sound Coming From Right Front

Dora
11-07-2004, 02:40 PM
I own a 1999 Ford Explorer XLS (2WD) and recently I noticed a moderate thumping sound originating from what I believe the the passenger side front wheel. This sound is only heard when driving. I know the brakes are good, I rotated the tires and still the sound continues. I almost sounds like I'm driving over a bumping pavement. Can anyone help me?

Red
:uhoh:

molehole
11-08-2004, 05:08 PM
Hmm. Maybe something suspension related like Ball joints. Worth a look.
good Luck

Dora
11-08-2004, 05:21 PM
If I inspect the ball joints are the boot is OK, then what? How much are joints anyway and can I replace them myself?

Dora
11-08-2004, 06:50 PM
Usually when ball joints are going bad, they squeak a lot; I'm NOT experiencing any squeaking. As I described, the soung and feel is like driving on a round filled with small bumps. Could this possibly be a problem with the shock absorber on the right side? Oh, it also seem to subside the faster I go, most felt at speeds of 10-40 mph and least felt at speeds >40 mph.
:confused: :confused: :confused:

geoffapril
11-09-2004, 08:30 PM
you may want to check your struts. From the way you described the problem and the sounds, I think I had the same problem. I took it to Ford and they replaced the struts and there was no more sound. I know you can also get new struts at a Pepboys or maybe an Autozone.

BlitzKeg
11-10-2004, 12:37 AM
balance your tires!!!!!

unbalanced tires cause extreme vibration but only while your driving.

vibration fells like your going over bumps in the road.

for every one ounce off-balance it is said to cause five pounds of force on your vehicle.

good luck :icon16:

romapint
11-10-2004, 06:35 PM
On my 92 Explorer I had the same thumping sound at the right front when driving. It was a suspension bushing Im not sure exactly what its called but its a bushing that connects a big control arm to the front axle. The exhaust runs right next to this bushing so I believe the heat is what made it fall apart the way it did. Yours may be the same maybe not. Good luck

Dora
11-10-2004, 07:06 PM
Thanks a lot for the help thus far. I'm replacing the shock absorbers tomorrow and I will inspect the suspension bushing. If the sound persists after changing the shocks and having the tires balanced, I will check the struts. By the way, how can I tell if a strut has gone bad? :confused:

Dora
11-10-2004, 07:10 PM
Oh by the way, pardon my automotive ignorance if the shock and strut are one in the same. Are they? :confused: :confused:

cmac74
01-06-2005, 03:34 PM
stabalizer link is what you might be referring to . i had a lound thump as well from the front pass side on my 97. the pin in the middle of the link had sheared right off adn was basically just sitting there. the thumping noise came from the stabilizer bar hitting the top of the stabilizer link everytime the suspension engaged. it never made the noise at high speeds though (except for dips in the road). the sheared stab link was obvious to determine and was a reletively cheap replacement. $24cdn from a dealer for the pair.

bumpinkicker04
01-13-2005, 07:46 AM
Have your tires inspected and checked for tread seperation

Tweekster
01-14-2005, 03:30 AM
If you get your tires balanced, and the sound/feel is still there, you may want to get the suspension bushings checked on the control arm... they deteriorate really fast if not taken care of and can cause the bolts holding the control arm on to bend if not taken care of fast enough... (I just replaced mine)

Add your comment to this topic!