Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

better gas better for car?

IWITR
11-07-2004, 01:07 AM
what gas company is good? and what gas number 87 89 91 (i think it goes like this) cars for LS, GS, GS-R??

my friend drives 240 and the only gas station he goes is chevron and puts 91. Anther friend drives LS and same thing chevron. Also does chevron gas clean the engine?? He said that chevron is the best gas. ture?? or false?

so......91 gas is better?

p0wered_by_acura
11-07-2004, 02:39 AM
Yeah supposedly chevron cleans your engine...well the higher gas u use...the more likely ur engine lasts longer....76 also has good gas...i heard arco is known to put water in their gas to fill it up

CivicSpoon
11-07-2004, 03:03 AM
citgo is crap too. stay away from those stations, you'll car will run like ass.

IWITR
11-07-2004, 11:44 AM
thanx guys

Ace$nyper
11-07-2004, 11:50 AM
just avoid shitgo gas. Run what ever the lowest octane your car reccomnds unless you have altered the cams ECU added F/I or changed comp ratio.

Igovert500
11-07-2004, 09:19 PM
Don't go higher octane unless you need it...there is no need, and it can actually cause your car to run worse(performance wise). The reason some cars need 91+ octane is because of compression or forced induction...they need it to starve off early combustion...aka knock, which screws up your pistons...turbo cars, etc, need higher octane fuel...if your car doesn't require it, don't use it. It's a waste of money and uselessly, prevents early combustion which isn't a problem in your car. If you don't have a turbo, supercharger, or nitrous, and your car didn't come from the factory requiring 91 octane...then stick to whatever is recommended. Essentially, if you car runs on 87, putting 91 in will not help...and may actually decrease performance.

IWITR
11-07-2004, 09:24 PM
thanx again guys

Fuxwitus 1st
11-10-2004, 09:03 PM
best bet is to go with Sunoco 93 ultra. i promise youll notice the difference. also remeber every time you switch different octanes of gas you should always reset your ECU. otherwise your car wont respond correctly to the good stuff

Igovert500
11-10-2004, 09:11 PM
Unless your Teg is turboed, you are wasting plenty of money on sunoco 93

Fuxwitus 1st
11-11-2004, 04:36 AM
Unless your Teg is turboed, you are wasting plenty of money on sunoco 93

Personally i like sunoco 93 ultra because it makes my car perform better than anything else ive tried. It improves my torque and acceleration (and no i dont have turbo). Since i have a tornado fuel saver it doesnt seem like im wasting plenty money. get a fuel saver and try sunoco 93 ultra and judge it yourself..

Technical_Automan
11-11-2004, 11:28 AM
Listen to Igovert500, he's the only one that knows what he's talking about in this thead so far lol. 93 makes ur engine last longer rofl, newb.

boosted k20
11-11-2004, 12:01 PM
listen to Igovert500, he knows what he's talking about. if ur car is an LS use 87 or 89 octane. gsr or type r's use 91 or better cuz of there higher compression ratio's. since LS B18A/B) have low compression pistons they dont need high octane fuel. if u noobs wanna waste ur money and buy the expensive 91 or better gas for ur cars then go ahead, throw ur money away!

Miataracer
11-11-2004, 12:10 PM
igovert500 and boosted k20... i love you guys!! seriously, almost no one seems to understand the concept of higher octane. i am glad at least you guys do. i have tried to explain this same thing several times on here and no one listens.

Mannyb18b
11-11-2004, 12:17 PM
Im not running cams, turbo or nitrous, but I have advanced my timing about 3 degrees and I use 91 (89 at the least) to help prevent any knock.

whtteg
11-11-2004, 04:24 PM
Personally i like sunoco 93 ultra because it makes my car perform better than anything else ive tried. It improves my torque and acceleration (and no i dont have turbo). Since i have a tornado fuel saver it doesnt seem like im wasting plenty money. get a fuel saver and try sunoco 93 ultra and judge it yourself..

Seeing as how you have a tornoado you have no clue. :grinno:

Miataracer
11-11-2004, 06:36 PM
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/autos/octane.htm

read about what octane to use

gsr916
11-11-2004, 10:29 PM
lower octane fuels actually have more BTU's per unit of fuel. meaning more heat can be produced and that means you'll get more energy out of a unit of fuel. Everyone that has suggested using lower octane fuel is 100% correct, unless your car specifically asks for it. There are always those people that put racing gas in just for the track. what the fucking fuck?? octane ratings are ratings against detonation, the higher the rating the harder it is to ignite. Cars with high compression need the high octane fuels to prevent detonation. Some all motor cars run insanely high compression ratios way higher than the CTR 11:1... if u put 87 octane in a high compression motor it would last about 2 minutes. Bottom line, just go with what your car calls for, unless you have mods that will increase your compression, because you get more power out of the lowest octane.

Miataracer
11-11-2004, 10:40 PM
yes, but some people run race gas just for the track so they can up their boost pressure. safely.. lol

I am not one of those people... I run 93 and call it a day.

Technical_Automan
11-12-2004, 09:36 PM
I was hoping there was some other people that knew about this, I knew there wasn't that many noobs in this forum. The question asker can be excluded from the noob section since he at least asked, but for those that said "higher is better", i'm sorry but you just stamped noob over your name. :)

Add your comment to this topic!