Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Changing oil/ steering problems

Chriznat20@msn.com
11-06-2004, 07:35 PM
I just wanted to say that whoever designed the 3.0 liter engine and put the oil filter next to the HOT exhaust was a whack-job. Now I try not to warm the engine up "that much" before I change the oil.

And we just brought our 2000 Saturn LS with 46,000 miles into the dealer (under warranty- extended) for a steering binding problem and a noise to go with it. They said the joint that meets the rack and pinion was out of grease and they re-greased it and replaced the boot that covers it. Good to know!! They also replaced both sway bar links. These wear out easily in these cars and start making a fun and annoying rattle over any bumps.

I love the car, never had any serious problems (knocking on wood). I cant believe that car has so much power off the line.Serious. It gives my 2002 Envoy with the 4.2 DOHC inline 6 a run for its money.

Has anybody changed the trans fluid and filter on the LS?? What was your experience?

sierrap615
11-07-2004, 01:24 AM
I just wanted to say that whoever designed the 3.0 liter engine and put the oil filter next to the HOT exhaust was a whack-job. Now I try not to warm the engine up "that much" before I change the oil.

it seems like they never get it right

1.9L S-series - the filter is right above a crossmember of the subframe and the CV shaft. its not hard to get to, but impossible to keep clean.

ION REDLINE - the filter is tucked behind the supercharger. and if anyone asks, you do not remove the supercharger to get to the filter

Honda CRV - simular to the 3.5L VUE. the exhaust manifold is wrapped around the filter. several dozen 03 and 04 CRVs have turned into fireballs from oil leaks, and honda doesn't know why only those models are effected, and not other models with the same engine.

Chriznat20@msn.com
11-07-2004, 03:14 PM
LOL got to love the logic some engineers and car makers use. I still love changing the oil on my 2002 Envoy though, oil plug in actually on the bottom of the oil pan. Makes things MEGA easy.

Add your comment to this topic!