Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Help replacing CV Drive shaft on 1988 Delta 88

Ron AKA
11-06-2004, 12:54 PM
I'm trying to replace the right hand (passenger side) drive shaft by following the instructions in a Haynes manual. It seems to indicate that you only have to remove the steering control arm and then press the shaft out of the hub. It does not seem to be even close to coming out of the hub before it jams up. I'm not in a bit of a mess as I can't get the shaft out or back into the spline. Any help appreciated before I call the tow truck!

Ron

Delta Dart
11-06-2004, 11:58 PM
The sway bar link has to be disconnected and the ball joint seperated. Please post back with result.

Good luck!

Ron AKA
11-07-2004, 10:47 AM
Yes, thanks for the help. I gave it a good shot, but could not get the nut off the ball joint. No room for a socket. I even took out the hub and bearing assembly to get more room. Still no luck. Actually if I had known it would require splitting the ball joint I would have not even started the job. So it is off to the garage now, with a better understanding of why they want 2 hours to do the replacement.

I've done a number of these before on other vehicles (mostly Japanese) and it was not that big of a deal, but this one was not any fun.

Thanks again.

Add your comment to this topic!